Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

My KEY is stuck! HELP quick

morado33
03-10-2005, 10:04 PM
I'm hoping someone could give me advice. My key is stuck in the ignition. It turns fine but I cannot get it out. I've had to leave it parked at work w/key still in there till I can get it fixed. There's no button to release key. The key does not have a chip, it's a regular one. ANY SUGGESTIONS? Thanks.

clariveros
03-11-2005, 08:57 AM
try some WD 40, my ignition was stuck and all it needed was was a little bit of this to make it work again, what probably happened is that one of the pins got stuck and is keeping the key in place, as if it was in the on position, good luck

blazee
03-11-2005, 09:14 AM
This is from thread: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=2756513

Guys I figured this out last night!

I ended up pulling the little plug/cover off the bottom of the column and pushing the release button. It worked and the key released like normal. All this got me thinking...what and why is this switch not releasing normally? I wanted to see more. Without pulling the steering wheel I removed the two screws from the bottom column cover and popped it down to where I could see inside the column okay with a flash light. *Note, you won't be able to remove the bottom cover without removing the wheel or the knee bolster.*

This allowed me to see the release mechanism which is nothing more than a solenoid. This solenoid is activated when you press the thumb button on the shifter. It locks the key in place and unlocks it in park. I noticed it only working sometimes when pressing the button. I wiggled the wires going to the switch and kept testing. After that I could NOT get it to freeze up again which was great! It almost seemed like the button was just hanging up. At any rate I must have tested it 100 times and it still worked flawlessly. I went ahead and sprayed a dab of silicone spray onto the button of the end of the solenoid hoping if it was just a lubrication issue this would keep it working smoothly. *Note if you are testing this with the key all the way forward in the ON position you will have to press the brake before the shift lever button sends current to the soleniod.*

So if you are putting your truck into park the instant you release the shift thumb button you should hear a click from the column. If not, they soleniod is not releasing.

This all makes sense because why else would Chevy put access to a button on the bottom of the column to release the key? Answer: Just in case you try to start your truck with a dead battery. If the battery is dead the soleniod will not release.

At any rate I'm thrilled with my progress and looks like the shop can eat my shorts!

Hope this helps those out with the same trouble. Ask questions if you have any.

Roland

BlazerLT
03-11-2005, 02:45 PM
make sure you firmly put the gear select lever into park.

Add your comment to this topic!