Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Need some help! Unknown Problem???

f81002
03-10-2005, 06:19 PM
Okay, I'll start from the beginning to see if anyone's heard of this problem. I don't know how much of this has to do with my problem, but bear with me. A few months ago I had that gas gauge problem..brought it to the dealer, and had it fixed. A few weeks ago, the check engine light came on...In the mean time I had my belt changed, and radiator flushed...Well, the light went off and on for about a month, then a couple of weeks ago my car started shifting funny while driving. On the highway, the rpms would go way up, but the car wouldn't shift until I eased my foot off the gas. I brought it in to have the code checked, It was ERG valve code, the guy just reset it, and said he thought the shifting problem was the transmission. I brought it to a transmission shop..had a bad feeling...guy said metal in pan and burnt fluid, wanted $325 to take apart and see what was wrong. I brought it to Cottman...reputable...did a computer diagnosis and inspection...said absolutly not transmission. Said fluid looked normal...said engine was "blooging down" ...didn't know any more. Brought it back to shop that set my check engine code...favorite shop...very reputable, but doesn't do transmission work. We talked about it for a while, they didn't really know what would cause that other than the transmission. They are going to check it out again in the morning.

Any Ideas???

Thanks.

rtebeau
03-13-2005, 04:20 PM
Okay, I'll start from the beginning to see if anyone's heard of this problem. I don't know how much of this has to do with my problem, but bear with me. A few months ago I had that gas gauge problem..brought it to the dealer, and had it fixed. A few weeks ago, the check engine light came on...In the mean time I had my belt changed, and radiator flushed...Well, the light went off and on for about a month, then a couple of weeks ago my car started shifting funny while driving. On the highway, the rpms would go way up, but the car wouldn't shift until I eased my foot off the gas. I brought it in to have the code checked, It was ERG valve code, the guy just reset it, and said he thought the shifting problem was the transmission. I brought it to a transmission shop..had a bad feeling...guy said metal in pan and burnt fluid, wanted $325 to take apart and see what was wrong. I brought it to Cottman...reputable...did a computer diagnosis and inspection...said absolutly not transmission. Said fluid looked normal...said engine was "blooging down" ...didn't know any more. Brought it back to shop that set my check engine code...favorite shop...very reputable, but doesn't do transmission work. We talked about it for a while, they didn't really know what would cause that other than the transmission. They are going to check it out again in the morning.

Any Ideas???

Thanks.

I wouldn't be surprised if your having some of the standard woes.

2002 Impala, 3.4L
3/9/05 @ 55k miles
9 registered trips to 4 dealers in Central PA - still looking for a good one!!

1. Intake gasket @ 52k - thanks Dexcool, $800+
2. Brakes @ ~10k, 15k, 25k, 40k, 50k - warping rotors - $250-350/each time. - had problems all the time, finally the rears were done this last time seems to have fixed the shimmy/vibration when braking lightly at high speeds, I am sure it will return. Front rotors have been turned 3 times now, replacement next.
3. Rear Doors hard to open - still an issue, someone suggested lubing the door seals. Seems the handles are hard to grab.
4. Steering shaft - $220 (twice)
5. I had to replace some steering boots - clunking when turning at low speed (driveways, stop and turns)
6. Ignition switch @ 11k
7. And other parts I am sure I missed.

I have not had the “transmission” issues yet and the car seems to have enough power for me, which will be about the time I start looking for a new car. I don’t think it will be a GM.

Pros
- I do like the ride, very comfortable
- Cool styling

Cons
- Repairs, Repairs and more repairs.

02 impala
03-13-2005, 05:37 PM
it sounds u need a transmission especially if they found metal in the pan, after that happens the trans will go bad soon

MCO_Death
03-16-2005, 08:17 AM
Curious of how this turns out, as I also just had a starting problem with an occasional engine 'bog' and metal showing up in the pan, Tranny failure would not surprise me with it being original on a ex police car at the 156k Mile mark. My shop wanted to look at it too, I'm just planning on driving until it goes if it is the tranny. Do need to clean my throttle body though :rolleyes: /lazy/

rtebeau
03-17-2005, 11:47 PM
GM sort of pulled through on my Intake problem. After a few letters, faxes and a couple phone calls. I received a telephone call the other day from the GM customer assistance center and they are willing to reimburse 50% of the repair (or about $400), which is better than nothing and puts some form of renewed faith in me. The rep I talked to was very calm and polite, she explained even though the vehicle was out of warranty (50k) they were going to help out in the interest of providing customer service. I am sure this forgoes my claim for any class action lawsuit but at least GM is doing something for me.

2002 Impala, 3.4L
3/18/05 @ 56k miles
9 registered trips to 4 dealers in Central PA - still looking for a good one!!

1. Intake gasket @ 52k - thanks Dexcool, $800+
2. Brakes @ ~10k, 15k, 25k, 40k, 50k - warping rotors - $250-350/each time. - had problems all the time, finally the rears were done this last time seems to have fixed the shimmy/vibration when braking lightly at high speeds, I am sure it will return. Front rotors have been turned 3 times now, replacement next.
3. Rear Doors hard to open - still an issue, someone suggested lubing the door seals. Seems the handles are hard to grab.
4. Intermediate Steering Shaft (ISS) - $220 (twice)
5. I had to replace some steering boots - had clunking in wheel when turning at low speed (driveways, stop and turns). Felt like loose brake caliper or popping cv joint.
6. Ignition switch @ 11k
7. And other parts I am sure I missed.

I have not had the “transmission” issues yet and the car seems to have enough power for me, which will be about the time I start looking for a new car. I don’t think it will be a GM.

Pros
- I do like the ride, very comfortable
- Cool styling

Cons
- Repairs, Repairs and more repairs.

billyo69
04-04-2005, 06:48 AM
I went through that same thing with my 2001.I thought tranny was junk.It turned out being the catalitic converter was junk.

MCO_Death
04-04-2005, 07:34 AM
I went through that same thing with my 2001.I thought tranny was junk.It turned out being the catalitic converter was junk.

Seeing how my state doesn't have any car testing... I'd be far to tempted to get rid of the converter if I ever had this problem... :sunglasse

MoNsTeR`ImPaLa
04-04-2005, 08:05 AM

With all the electronics on the Impala i dont know about removing the cat just for the reasons of changing back preasure this could likely give you a check engine light

BNaylor
04-04-2005, 08:16 AM
With all the electronics on the Impala i dont know about removing the cat just for the reasons of changing back preasure this could likely give you a check engine light

I agree. He'd have to do something about the 02 sensors. The rear 02 sensor will trigger a CAT convertor efficiency DTC code of probably P0420 and subsequently give a MIL indicator (CEL or SES). However, you can get an 02 simulator for around $30 to hopefully get around this when totally removing the CAT and if living in a no emissions testing area.

MoNsTeR`ImPaLa
04-04-2005, 08:25 AM
true but knowing how sensitive the engines are in these cars are not something i would suggest for a long period of time i just dont like the fact of removing that amount of back pressure

BNaylor
04-04-2005, 08:44 AM

billyo69,

I'm documenting problems for a friend that has a '01 Impala LS. You stated that your tranny problems turned out to be the CAT convertor.
What exactly were your symptoms on the tranny? Harsh upshifts, noisy, DTC error codes, etc? And how many miles were on your Impala?

Thanks in advance.

MCO_Death
04-04-2005, 06:06 PM
I agree. He'd have to do something about the 02 sensors. The rear 02 sensor will trigger a CAT convertor efficiency DTC code of probably P0420 and subsequently give a MIL indicator (CEL or SES). However, you can get an 02 simulator for around $30 to hopefully get around this when totally removing the CAT and if living in a no emissions testing area.

I know of the O2 simulators, places like www.3800performance.com have them (along with a surprising ammount of goodies for the 3.8 engines) Its not something im worrying about until my exhaust needs replaced.

micali
04-06-2005, 05:07 PM
CHECK THE CAT! Sounds like mine when the cat was starting to clog. Have them test it at the dealer.

Add your comment to this topic!