Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

DexCool or Antifreeze?

deb1poet
03-10-2005, 05:31 PM
Just bought a 2002 Malibu with 8000 miles on it.
I want to flush the coolant to make sure there is no sludge in there, however I am not sure I want to put the DexCool back in.
I have read where the intake gaskets go bad and a few think it has to do with the DexCool.
I would like to nip this in the bud BEFORE it becomes and issue.

Tell me what you think guys?

Thanks Deb

tom3
03-11-2005, 08:33 AM
Pretty much tell what condition the coolant is in by shining a flashlight down in the radiator, if the coolant is clear you're ok. Drain and flush and use some other extended like coolant. The gasket problem (and it is a problem) has more to do with the intake bolting and gasket design than the coolant itself I think. Keep a close watch on the coolant level and be ready. Usually good for 60 to 80K miles - then watch out.

deb1poet
03-11-2005, 10:42 PM
Pretty much tell what condition the coolant is in by shining a flashlight down in the radiator, if the coolant is clear you're ok. Drain and flush and use some other extended like coolant. The gasket problem (and it is a problem) has more to do with the intake bolting and gasket design than the coolant itself I think. Keep a close watch on the coolant level and be ready. Usually good for 60 to 80K miles - then watch out.

Tom, thanks for the reply
I plan on flushing it, I was just looking for some opinions on the Dexcool.
From what I have read on here the gasket problem also seems to be linked with Dexcool being very erosive somehow and also read there is a class action lawsuit pending against the manufacturer.

"some other extended like coolant" ?????????
Sorry...........I am lost.

tom3
03-12-2005, 02:09 PM
Dexcool has an ingredient that is only used in Dexcool. From what I read this is what causes the problems. Other extended life coolants don't use this and have no problems like the Dexcool. About anything you find in the stores now is a long life that is compatible with all coolants, and $9 a gallon.

'97ventureowner
03-12-2005, 05:52 PM
Having a vehicle that uses DexCool and having problems with the intake gaskets, I have done quite a bit of research into the matter. The main problem with the gaskets was the materials they were made of. GM has issued revised gaskets for some of the engines. One of the main complaints stemming from the class action suit is GM's claim that the DexCool was good for 5years 150,000 miles. Now it has been shown that the lifespan of the coolant is much shorter, especially if you operate under what GM calls severe driving conditions. It is now recommended to flush and refill your cooling system with DexCool on a more frequent basis to stem any further problems. You can continue to use the DexCool, just keep an eye on your coolant resivoir and keep the level full to the required marks on the tank, and continue to flush and fill your coolant system more often than the previously recommended 5/150 timespan.

deb1poet
03-13-2005, 12:21 PM
Thanks for your replies.
I plan on flushing out the Dexcool and and replacing it with the good old green stuff.

Deb :~()

'97ventureowner
03-13-2005, 09:30 PM
If you are planning on doing that, then make sure you thoroughly flush the DexCool out, and replace the thermostat before you install the green etylene glycol antifreeze. Problems have been reported when the two different types of antifreeze have mixed, including "gelling" which causes blockages in the cooling system, and a possible breakdown in the protection package that the antifreeze has to offer due to contamination from the other antifreeze, which offers a different protection package to the engine and cooling system. Here is a link to some more info on switching from DexCool to ethylene glycol based coolant. http://autorepair.about.com/cs/coolingsystem/l/aa052601c.htm

TommySS
07-05-2005, 08:14 PM
There's nothing wrong w/Dexcool. I agree that 150k miles is way too long to wait for a flush, but I flush every other year.

I did take one vehicle to 100k on Dexcool, and it was still good - but I just didn't want to wait that long again. With "green" antifreeze, I had to flush it every year.

wymi
07-05-2005, 09:58 PM
Get rid of the factory radiator cap, they let air in and cause a brown dirt looking build-up. I had the brown stuff in the overflow tank after just 15k miles. Mechanic friend of mine said change the cap and drain and fill system, 30k miles later and no sludge or any other problems with the cooling system. The lower intake gaskets will let go at some point no matter what you do, keep an eye on the coolant level.

johnholl
07-06-2005, 03:03 PM
Use the universal coolent. Do not install the green colent unless you've flushed the hell out of it, and gotten every bit of Dexcool out. In any event replace the coolent every year.

As far as the coolent, or leaking coolent recovery caps being resposible for the engine failures....That's GM horsehshit.

Bottom line. They're a bad block and head combination separated by a chinsey undertorqued gasket.

I've hope we've put this issue to bed

Add your comment to this topic!