Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Series III 3.8 liter Engine

ashes2ashes
03-10-2005, 01:12 AM
I noticed the new 2005 Buick LaCrosse is sporting the Series III engine. Is this the first year (2005) GM has introduced this engine. I wonder what the specifications are and how much "different" it compares to the Series II engine.

Any input??

Ruley73
03-11-2005, 08:25 PM
The Series III 3800 actually debuted last year in the 2004 Grand Prix GT. The power output of the Series III is identical to that of the Series II. To my knowledge the Series III is nearly identical to the Series II. The only two major changes include a new aluminum upper intake and electronic throttle control.

BNaylor
04-02-2005, 09:21 AM
I noticed the new 2005 Buick LaCrosse is sporting the Series III engine. Is this the first year (2005) GM has introduced this engine. I wonder what the specifications are and how much "different" it compares to the Series II engine.

Any input??

I's a nice ride but I wouldn't trade in my '01 Regal GS for one.
The CX & CXL have the 3800 Series III but the CXS has the new 3.6L
VVT DOHC V6. No more blower. The torque figure is way down compared to a Supercharged 3800 Series II.

Regardless of any improvements, the horsepower for the Series III remains the same as the Series II.

porscheguy9999
04-03-2005, 12:05 AM
I was pricing the LaCrosse today, and I noticed the same thing. Why would the CXS have a smaller engine than the base CX's and the CXL's (thats the one I was pricing) 3.8L? I am assuming the "S" stands for "sport" (where the "L" stands for "luxury"). Makes no sense to me.

BNaylor
04-03-2005, 07:30 PM
I was pricing the LaCrosse today, and I noticed the same thing. Why would the CXS have a smaller engine than the base CX's and the CXL's (thats the one I was pricing) 3.8L? I am assuming the "S" stands for "sport" (where the "L" stands for "luxury"). Makes no sense to me.

CXS engine may have less displacement but it delivers 240 hp @ 6000 rpm and 225 lbs-ft of torque at 2000 rpm. Much higher rpms than the SC 3800 Series II on hp but max. torque much earlier. I noticed the final drive axle ratio has been bumped up to 3.69. I was wondering how they got it to match the SC 3800 Series II in 0 to 60 times and 1/4 mile ETs.

I'm going to keep an eye on it and see about any first years bugs before taking the plunge. The 3800 Series II was very reliable.

Gdubya
04-04-2005, 12:56 AM
CXS engine may have less displacement but it delivers 240 hp @ 6000 rpm and 225 lbs-ft of torque at 2000 rpm. Much higher rpms than the SC 3800 Series II on hp but max. torque much earlier. I noticed the final drive axle ratio has been bumped up to 3.69. I was wondering how they got it to match the SC 3800 Series II in 0 to 60 times and 1/4 mile ETs.

I'm going to keep an eye on it and see about any first years bugs before taking the plunge. The 3800 Series II was very reliable.

Before making a decision on the CXL vs CXS I strongly suggest you drive each one first. I did and was very much disappointed in the 3.6. It seemed to me that the transmission was constanly downshifting whenever I accelerated at speeds between 35 and 50 mph. Didn't seem as though the engine had enough low end torque which is NOT the case with the 3.8. I mentioned this to the salesperson and he agreed - said it seemed awfully "busy" to him and that he had been told by Buick engineers at a new product showing that they "were working on that". I have had 3 Regal GS's previous to my LaCrosse and do miss the extra HP of the supercharged 3.8. But I settled for the CXL because I thought it was adequate and functioned much better than the 3.6. I got my LaCrosse last November so maybe Buick has worked this problem out by now.
Gdubya

BNaylor
04-04-2005, 08:32 AM
Before making a decision on the CXL vs CXS I strongly suggest you drive each one first. I did and was very much disappointed in the 3.6. It seemed to me that the transmission was constanly downshifting whenever I accelerated at speeds between 35 and 50 mph. Didn't seem as though the engine had enough low end torque which is NOT the case with the 3.8. I mentioned this to the salesperson and he agreed - said it seemed awfully "busy" to him and that he had been told by Buick engineers at a new product showing that they "were working on that". I have had 3 Regal GS's previous to my LaCrosse and do miss the extra HP of the supercharged 3.8. But I settled for the CXL because I thought it was adequate and functioned much better than the 3.6. I got my LaCrosse last November so maybe Buick has worked this problem out by now.
Gdubya

I believe that Buick really blew this one on the CXS. The 3.6 leaves a lot to be desired. However, the logical thing for Buick to do is replace the 3.6 with what they already have in production from other products such as the '05 Grand Prix GTP. It has a supercharged version of Series III 3800 putting out 260 hp and 280 ft-lbs of torque.

I'm going to sit this one out until they get the mess straightened up, however, the Pontiac is looking awfully good at this time.

porscheguy9999
04-11-2005, 08:20 PM
I test drove the CXS today and I didn't notice the tranny problem. But then again, I wasn't looking for them. The ride was good and the sound deadining was good. But I guess if I test drive the CXL, I will try to notice the difference in the tranny.

BNaylor
04-14-2005, 01:25 PM
I test drove the CXS today and I didn't notice the tranny problem. But then again, I wasn't looking for them. The ride was good and the sound deadining was good. But I guess if I test drive the CXL, I will try to notice the difference in the tranny.

If you have any experience with a Series II 3800 supercharged automobile, how would you compare the CXS with the 3.6 VVT to them?

-Josh-
04-24-2005, 07:06 PM
Give it 60K miles, it's a caddy engine, dont expect it to be reliable. I'd take the 3800 intake leaks over the caddy piston ring problems any day. As for tranny problems, we've already had one LaCrosse come in the shop with intermittent shifty problems, had a rolled seal on the number 2 or 3 clutch i believe.

As for the car overall, i'm very impressed with it.

Huskeez
11-06-2005, 10:39 AM
The Series III 3800 actually debuted last year in the 2004 Grand Prix GT. The power output of the Series III is identical to that of the Series II. To my knowledge the Series III is nearly identical to the Series II. The only two major changes include a new aluminum upper intake and electronic throttle control.

Actually...The Series III motors include many changes. The intake manifold is all-aluminum, like you mentioned, Electronic throttle control is added, as is returnless fuel injection. Emissions are also reduced.

LeSabre97mint
12-16-2005, 11:08 PM
Actually...The Series III motors include many changes. The intake manifold is all-aluminum, like you mentioned, Electronic throttle control is added, as is returnless fuel injection. Emissions are also reduced.

What advantage does a "returnless fuel injection" give over a system with a return line?

Thanks

Dan

Huskeez
12-22-2005, 08:33 AM
What advantage does a "returnless fuel injection" give over a system with a return line?

Thanks

Dan

Fuel (in a return line system) that is pumped into the engine compartment and back to the tank gets heated obviously, and hot gas evaporates easier than 'cold' gas. Modern, "returnless" fuel injection systems have a pressure regulator in the gas tank that bypasses surplus fuel without pumping it out of the tank. Fuel pressure is fixed relative to the outside world now. In other words, it stays 'cool' like the outside world, and much less of it evaporates, which in a manner of speaking, boosts mileage.

mellemel022
02-09-2006, 06:17 PM
This series III was introduced with the Bonneville first in 2001 then with the Grand Prix in 2004.

Add your comment to this topic!