Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

'88 trooper 2.6 I-TEC 2nd fuel relay location?

cerobit
03-09-2005, 07:35 PM
Hi all,

Background:

'88 trooper 2.6 I-TEC, 200,000 miles, started giving me misfiring on acceleration after warming up, progressively getting worse for a couple weeks until it would not accelerate at all. After letting it sit for a few mins., was able to drive home fine, and let the truck sit for a week. I figured plugs,wires, dist cap and rotor might help, since they've not been replaced for 150,000 miles. Replaced and was a bit suprised that the truck would not fire at all; it always fired up right away. Put the old stuff back on and still no fire.

Gave a shot of either and got good fire, so started checking fuel supply. No fuel at fuel pressure regulator, so checked at fuel filter and not much was there. What fuel was there was pretty black , so i replaced with new.

No fuel pump sound when ignition is on, and no voltage at fuel pump connector. Fuel relay on fender fuse block makes audible click on energize and when swapped with known good still gives no voltage at pump. Will harddwire pump tommorow to check operation. Ordered electrical troubleshooting and shop manual from heminc.com today, btw.

Question(s):

The Haynes manual shows a '2nd fuel relay' in the wiring shcematic, but no clues to location. Where might i find it and are there any other likely culprits to no voltage condition? And should i expect to find pump voltage with the ignition only in the run position vice 'start'??

TIA

Daq
03-11-2005, 04:03 PM
No kidding I wondered where that 2nd relay was too. Anyone know?
Yes, you should have voltage at the pump connector. The wires/connectors are culprits, so test lead the pump like you said, good luck.

89trooper
07-28-2005, 10:14 PM
check the wiring at the fuel pump on the harness side of the plug. seems to be a common problem on these years.

soundrew
08-05-2005, 07:51 AM
I too had to repair the wiring connectors at the pump/gauge harness on my 88 2.6L. However, it also sounds like this could be the pump itself. If the gas looked black, thats a bad sign and you probably burned up the pump-- time to drain the tank ( which must be done to get it down unless you have a lift). It could also mean clogged injectors (which would explain the poor performace).

There is also a fuel pump relay in the fender mounted fuse box. If you can't find a replacement, you can make a little jumper wire to bridge the proper terminals and test for juice at the pump (or harness connection). Good luck.

Add your comment to this topic!