Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

gotta Cobalt vs Srt-4 thread yet?

ghostx
03-09-2005, 05:19 PM
If not, here it is.

These days i feel chevy is playing alot of catch up with dodge(srt-4 and viper srt-10) and will soon be playing with the Mustang GT.

Is that safe to say?

So given the srt-4 and cobalt ss are around the same msrp, which would most u rather buy?

kman10587
03-09-2005, 05:58 PM
SRT-4, hands down. It's faster, the aftermarket and following are much bigger, and the reliability is pretty much unbeatable. I can deal with a crappy interior and bumpy ride, so for me, there really isn't much of a drawback to it.

ricesucks
03-09-2005, 06:03 PM
I am going to be brave and say the SS. I like the way it looks. Its new...I like it! I dunno, srt-4's look ulgy IMO

Porsche_Daddy
03-09-2005, 06:08 PM
They are both ugly IMO.

ricesucks
03-09-2005, 06:09 PM
Then why bother posting if you dont like ethier?

NISSANSPDR
03-09-2005, 09:53 PM
Cobalt SS for me too...the SRT4 is eh...

TheQuietThings
03-09-2005, 09:59 PM
srt4

Porsche_Daddy
03-10-2005, 09:45 AM
Then why bother posting if you dont like ethier?

I was posting a response to the above post. I didn't know it was mandatory to pick a favorite. I dislike them both equally.

95cord
03-10-2005, 10:38 AM
cobalt
i really don't like styling of the srt-4.

SuperHighOutput
03-10-2005, 11:11 AM
Cobalt SS, the interior is great, and according to MotorTrend it runs 0-60 in 6 flat with a 14.5 1/4.

nbr1nthuzyst
03-11-2005, 09:25 AM
srt-4 no questions... im a turblo guy *for one* and the srt, has a more agressive way to it IMO, aand i LOVE the styling of it. I like the cobalt too, but if i had a choice, i wouldnt think twice ;)

mason_RsX
03-11-2005, 10:50 AM
turblo! lol sorry im stupid but it made me laugh

I think I have to take the Cobalt SS because the srt-4 just looks to ugly for me to want it, not matter how fast it it. plus as someone had said before, the Cobalt has a good amount of power and torque to it with the supercharger giving it a good powerband

However, I think GM needs to learn the the solution to the mediocre engines (minus the 3.6L DOHC V6 in the new Buick, and the 4.2L I6 in their SUV's) they have isn't supercharging them...

clawhammer
03-11-2005, 12:54 PM
SRT-4, bigger aftermarket for making it faster.

ghostx
03-11-2005, 02:13 PM
I'm kind of a TURBLO guy myself :biggrin: this is one reason why I would probably take the srt-4 over the cobalt. I can't shake the feeling that chevy's only supercharging the Cobalt, because some people (like myself) would see it as a SRT-4 wanna-be if it was turbocharged. I could be wrong.

kman10587
03-11-2005, 02:16 PM
I can't shake the feeling that chevy's only supercharging the Cobalt, because some people (like myself) would see it as a SRT-4 wanna-be if it was turbocharged. I could be wrong.

I figured they just didn't have the technology to do it cheaply and reliably. Think about it: how many turbo-fours does GM have? Chrysler has been making turbo-fours since the 80's, so they know what they are doing.

Andydg
03-11-2005, 03:44 PM
I'd take the SRT4. I've always been a Dodge fan and they have good customer service. In my area the Chevy dealers aren't all that great for customer service.

porscheguy9999
03-11-2005, 04:21 PM
SRT-4.

SRT is much better all around than any SS (chevy) or SVT (ford).

speed_star
03-11-2005, 04:34 PM
I would go with the SS. I prefer Chevy to Dodge, and two doors to four.

drvngstorm05
03-11-2005, 07:48 PM
I figured they just didn't have the technology to do it cheaply and reliably. Think about it: how many turbo-fours does GM have? Chrysler has been making turbo-fours since the 80's, so they know what they are doing.

trust me, GM knows their shit when it comes to turbochargers, look at the buick t types, GN's and GNX's... heck the guy voted fastest in AF drives a GN... those buicks get into the low 9's still street legal. now, as to why GM supercharged the ion redline and cobalt ss, i think they just wanted to... they could have done a turbo setup, but maybe they consider superchargers to be better, who knows, all i can tell you is i know GM knows their stuff about turbos so it wasn't a lack of knowledge...

i wouldn't underestimate those s/ced cars... i've already seen an ion redline beat an srt-4 stock for stock both from a dig and a 20mph roll... part driver, yes, but that just shows that the srt-4 is not THAT far ahead

ghostx
03-11-2005, 08:46 PM
trust me, GM knows their shit when it comes to turbochargers, look at the buick t types, GN's and GNX's... heck the guy voted fastest in AF drives a GN... those buicks get into the low 9's still street legal. now, as to why GM supercharged the ion redline and cobalt ss, i think they just wanted to... they could have done a turbo setup, but maybe they consider superchargers to be better, who knows, all i can tell you is i know GM knows their stuff about turbos so it wasn't a lack of knowledge...

i wouldn't underestimate those s/ced cars... i've already seen an ion redline beat an srt-4 stock for stock both from a dig and a 20mph roll... part driver, yes, but that just shows that the srt-4 is not THAT far ahead

Love that sig man! :evillol:

drvngstorm05
03-12-2005, 01:24 AM
thx man, i like my car too

kman10587
03-12-2005, 01:52 AM

Yeah, but that was almost 20 years ago on a Series II 3.8L V6. The Ecotec is quite a different kind of motor, and turbo setups nowadays are different too. I hear what you're saying though, and I'm sure GM could have turbocharged the Cobalt SS if they wanted to, but if they did, it would probably would have cost near 25K (due to R&D for creating a turbocharged Ecotec) and would have had lots of niggling reliability problems, since GM hasn't made a turbo-four in the last decade at least.

pimprolla112
03-12-2005, 01:53 AM
SS cobalt to me the srt-4 is trying run the game with wrx, 4 door turbo not gonna happen. Besides you gotta love the sound of a supercharger spooling up with the motor. And the srt4 looks like dodge took a stock bodied neon which they did, threw aftermarket rims, an eclipse motor with a turbo, dual exhaust and an emblem and called it a night. As far s aftermarket the srt4 has been around for what 3-4 years and that motor has been around just as long, the cobalt came out not even 6 months ago give it time its going to be like the focus. No expected a decent aftermarket but theres a v-8 conversion, and they can get the stock motor to run a 12 if they damn well please the car still sucks imo(just a comparison).

drvngstorm05 thats a bitchin camaro import and somewhat older domestic guy myself i like the old body styled camaros but i would take a 12 sec 4 banger beater anyday(makes a nice sleeper).

aznxthuggie
03-12-2005, 02:14 AM
my vote is for the srt4

drvngstorm05
03-12-2005, 06:05 PM
drvngstorm05 thats a bitchin camaro import and somewhat older domestic guy myself i like the old body styled camaros but i would take a 12 sec 4 banger beater anyday(makes a nice sleeper).

fast imports are sweet as hell, but my stance is that to make a smaller engine keep up w/ a v8 costs more, they don't sound as good (you can't beat a v8 rumble :evillol: ), and quite often aren't as reliable (i see honda guys talking about their blown engines all the time, i've never blown an engine...). besides there are so many posers w/ imports, granted there are posers w/ domestics, but much less... not to mention i love actually having some low end torque :iceslolan

i'll respect an import guy who has done the right things and is coming along making his car real fast, just the fact is, there are so many ricers and posers out there it creates a general frustration towards imports from us domestic guys...

Neutrino
03-13-2005, 04:49 AM
Plase stick to the SS vs SRT4 comparison and do not make this thread into another domestic vs import thread. We have very clear rules against that.

SS cobalt to me the srt-4 is trying run the game with wrx, 4 door turbo not gonna happen. Besides you gotta love the sound of a supercharger spooling up with the motor. And the srt4 looks like dodge took a stock bodied neon which they did, threw aftermarket rims, an eclipse motor with a turbo, dual exhaust and an emblem and called it a night. As far s aftermarket the srt4 has been around for what 3-4 years and that motor has been around just as long, the cobalt came out not even 6 months ago give it time its going to be like the focus. No expected a decent aftermarket but theres a v-8 conversion, and they can get the stock motor to run a 12 if they damn well please the car still sucks imo(just a comparison).

also pimprolla if your going to bash the srt4 try to post actual facts rather than made up stuff.

crayzayjay
03-13-2005, 07:23 AM
So ghostsx, first you can't be arsed to use the search function to see if the comparo's been made before, and you also somehow miss the clearly marked "Important: *****10 day limits on polls!!!***** " warning at the top of this forum :rolleyes:

Poll closed. Learn how to read, people.

porscheguy9999
03-13-2005, 03:11 PM
SS cobalt to me the srt-4 is trying run the game with wrx, 4 door turbo not gonna happen.

dont forget the Lancer Evo.

No expected a decent aftermarket but theres a v-8 conversion

Do you mean that there is a V8 conversion for the Cobalt SS? If thats what you meant, I'm pretty sure the Cobalt is too small to fit a V8 under the hood.

kman10587
03-13-2005, 05:04 PM
He means that no expected there to be a decent aftermarket for a Focus, but Ford made a 5.0 cammer conversion kit for it.

Vettribution
03-13-2005, 06:28 PM
I personally think that Chevy biffed it with the SS version. I really like the Cobalt's styling, and potential. I don't like the numbers or weight on the SS version, as pretty as it is. The 2.2 isn't so bad of an engine, if not on par with some Japanese I-4's.. but the price is actually really competetive. I am looking into an LS Coupe. The price is nice, and I have a close hookup with a turbo guru. For around the same price as the SS, I will have much more power in the end.. I definately am disappointed in Chevy for not reaching for what people want, and stopping JUST short. So in this case.. SS vs SRT.. Performance-wise.. the SRT is just plain quicker, if insanely uglier.
Just my three cents.

pimprolla112
03-13-2005, 11:34 PM
Yeah no one expected a decent aftermarket for the focus but cosworth and about half of the import companies now make focus parts. One thing im glad to see is the cavalier and sunfire have been killed off, i cant stand seeing riced out cavs they look like shit. Keeping to the thread however, the lancer is a beast but once agian its the same motor as the eclipse and the neon(and in my opinion from what ive seen dodge hasnt made to many 4 bangers for there cars there usually mitsu motors).

drvngstorm05 im glad to see that there is a domestic guy who can tell the difference between a good import and a ricer.

Neutrino
03-13-2005, 11:51 PM
Keeping to the thread however, the lancer is a beast but once agian its the same motor as the eclipse and the neon(and in my opinion from what ive seen dodge hasnt made to many 4 bangers for there cars there usually mitsu motors).

again what are you talking about? lancer? are you refering to the evo then yes that has a newer version of the legendary 4g63 seen in 1st and 2nd gen turbo eclipses.

BUT the 4g63 has NOTHING to do with the srt4 engine. Repeat after me the srt4 engine is not a 4g63 or a Mitsu engine for that matter. Stop spreading missinformation. The only mitsu part in the srt4 is the turbo because mitsu just happens to make good turbos and was afiliated with Daimler.

Also the srt4 is not the successor of the turbo DSMs, it is the succesor of the famous 2.2 turbo mopars which had 0 mitsu parts.

kman10587
03-14-2005, 12:35 AM
Yeah no one expected a decent aftermarket for the focus but cosworth and about half of the import companies now make focus parts. One thing im glad to see is the cavalier and sunfire have been killed off, i cant stand seeing riced out cavs they look like shit. Keeping to the thread however, the lancer is a beast but once agian its the same motor as the eclipse and the neon(and in my opinion from what ive seen dodge hasnt made to many 4 bangers for there cars there usually mitsu motors).

1. The Cavalier is out of production as of 2006, but I don't think the Sunfire is quite yet.

2. The 4G63's in the old Eclipse GSX and the new Lancer Evolution 8 are pretty different. And as Neutrino said, the ONLY thing the SRT-4 motor got from Mitsubishi was the turbo.

ghostx
03-14-2005, 01:36 PM

drvngstorm05 im glad to see that there is a domestic guy who can tell the difference between a good import and a ricer.

It's not like Daimler can't make an I-4 engine, or a turbo for that matter. They don't need Mitsubishi's help. The truth is, Daimler has had to help Mitsubishi keep their head above water. And my wife, whom i met in japan, is a former Mitsubishi employee. She will testify to that.

ghostx
03-14-2005, 01:41 PM
So ghostsx, first you can't be arsed to use the search function to see if the comparo's been made before, and you also somehow miss the clearly marked "Important: *****10 day limits on polls!!!***** " warning at the top of this forum :rolleyes:

Poll closed. Learn how to read, people.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. I know very well how to use the search engine. It failed to turn up any results, so I tentatively posted this thread.

Sorry about the poll though

AFI 05
03-19-2005, 02:29 PM
Cobalt SS... It's still new but in the coming years, it will also gain its popularity and get more aftermarket support and such... and the NEON is frekin ugly :screwy:

Add your comment to this topic!