Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

91 Ford Probe dies when accelerating to fast.

bhoward86
03-09-2005, 04:38 PM
Yeah I had this problem about 3 weeks ago on my 91 Ford Probe where if I accelerated too fast the car would shut off. So I brought it to a shop and had my spark plug wires replaces and an ignition rotor replaced and a distributor cap replaced as well because "they were fried" or over heated. So could this be the same problem or can it be something else? Any help would be good.

bhoward86
03-10-2005, 11:33 AM
I went to see if I could fix the problem, so I was lookin around and I thought I'd check my coolant tub just to make sure cause I flushed it out 2 days before. So that was empty, so I filled that and I was running the car for 10 min and when it was time 2 shut off I noticed some smoke towards the back of the engine. I turned off the engine and looked around where the Spark plug wires are. and when I touched them they were extremely hot! So I think the problem I had a month is happening again, where my spark plug wires are gettin overheated. But it only seemed to be the back of the engine. Could this be related to the thermostat?

blindfoldedhope
03-13-2005, 06:56 AM
I went to see if I could fix the problem, so I was lookin around and I thought I'd check my coolant tub just to make sure cause I flushed it out 2 days before. So that was empty, so I filled that and I was running the car for 10 min and when it was time 2 shut off I noticed some smoke towards the back of the engine. I turned off the engine and looked around where the Spark plug wires are. and when I touched them they were extremely hot! So I think the problem I had a month is happening again, where my spark plug wires are gettin overheated. But it only seemed to be the back of the engine. Could this be related to the thermostat?

I wouldnt think so but its like a $10 part for your thermostat.... replace it anyway.... check where your wires are resting are they touching your exhaust manifold? or headers?

bhoward86
03-16-2005, 02:21 PM
Yeah the back spark plug wires are hitting against the silver thing that goes around them. Even if the spark plug weren't burning the engine is still overheating.

Add your comment to this topic!