Page updated on 11-19-2017

my cougar doesn't want to start! HELP!!

volcom_nena_04
03-09-2005, 11:35 AM
I have a 99 cougar and it doesn't want to start! when i put the key in and try to turn it on, it seems as if it wants to start but then it jsut won't. it almost seems as if it's not getting enough gas to start up, but it has gas. i checked the spark pluggs, the battery and the fuses, but that doesn't seem to be problem! i have been told to check the fuel pump and the fuel filter, but i don't know if thats the problem! has anyone experienced anything like that?? oh, and when it is on at times it wants to die on me!! if anyone has any suggestions please let me know!! thanks!

beyondloadedSE
03-09-2005, 03:49 PM
does it turn over?

volcom_nena_04
03-09-2005, 04:05 PM
what do you mean does it turn over??

low
03-14-2005, 03:38 PM
hey,
It doesnt sound like you know the basics if it isnt running its either gas or fire. in order to check this you need to have 2 people. you need to locate where the fuel line runs into the fuel relay, then disconect it and put the line in to a bottle (to catch the gas) then have some one turn the key to the on position this should cause the fuel pump to kick in for a second if you do not get gas coming from the line then it's your fuel probably the pump or the filter but we wont get ahead of ourselves yet. if that isnt it then reconect your fuel line and disconect the spark plug wire from the spark plug. next you want to insert a screw driver (make sure not to touch the metal part of the screw driver) place the screwdriver very close to any metal part of the motor but dont let them touch (roughly 1/8th inch apart) have them turn it over again and see if there is spark between the two. if there is and you are getting fuel it could be the spark plugs or the timing might be off. let me know the outcome and we can trouble shoot more from there.

PS if you spill gas clean it up and wait for it to dry before you try the spark

volcom_nena_04
03-17-2005, 01:02 PM
Well i know some basics, but don't know the proper terminology. well i'll tell you what we've done so far. my boyfriend took out the sparkplugs and cleaned them and said that they wer fine, although i don't think he checked for a spark. . .hmm. then we took the air filter thing out and put a lil gas in the fuel injector?? well an injector, and it still didn't want to turn on. my dad told me that i should check the fuel system safety switch?? usually in the trunk, but mine was on the bottom left panel of the drivers side, but i haven't really messed with it. oh, we also checked the fuses, but that wasn't the problem. the timing belt was mentioned as a possible issue, but i dunno. we haven't checked the fuel filter. well i'll try and do what you said w/the fuel lines and see what happens and double check on the spark. oh, we also checked the battery, but duh, that wasn't it. my dad is a mechanic, but he lives in tx and i live in az, so not very dandy! he too said that 99% of the time when a car doesn't want to start it's either a fuel or electrical problem!! well let me know what you think, and it does turn over! to me it sounds like its not getting fuel, but that's just me and i don't know much. well thank you and i hope to hear from you and what you think.

low
03-17-2005, 01:11 PM
Hey,
Just thought of another way to check the fuel get a can of carberator cleaner spray and take off the tube between the air filter and the intake manifold then spray it into the intake manifold for 2 or 3 seconds then try to start it see what happens if it starts and dies its your fuel

volcom_nena_04
03-17-2005, 01:15 PM
is that the fuel injector cleaner?? cuz i have to bottles of that, my dad sells amsoil and gave me some fuel injector cleaner the one that you spray like you said, and pi. .gas treatment, which i put in the gas tank like 2 days before it didn't want to turn on anymore!! so if it wanna starts then its a fuel problem?? ok thanks!

low
03-18-2005, 10:38 AM
yes the spray can of fuel injector cleaner spray it in to the intake manifold and if it starts and runs for a few seconds then quits then it is a fuel problem

robbied
04-22-2005, 01:06 PM
There are a couple of things it could beÖ you might need a new fuel filter by now if itís a 99. Also, does your car need the fuel pump recall done? I think it sounds fuel related but it may not be getting spark.

Add your comment to this topic!