Rough Idle

Dan Zar
03-08-2005, 05:01 PM
I'm having trouble with my 2002 Sportage 2wd. It's shaking when the car is at a standstill (rough idling) or even in reverse sometimes. Does anyone know what the probable cause could be???

LMP
03-09-2005, 09:47 AM
ROugh idling is most often traced down to the Idle Air Valve. That is a common issue ; removing the valve and spraying it with carb cleaner is anyway a "must do" maintenance item, even if it turns out not to be your problem. I'd begin with that.(See photo below) . It gets sticky and causes that kind of problem; once removed (2 screws), spraying carb cleaner into IAC ports will restore free operation. SInce doing this costs about nothing, this is at least wise maintenance.

Dan Zar
03-09-2005, 10:11 AM
Thanks! I'll give that a try today.

Axe Man
03-20-2005, 04:08 PM
ROugh idling is most often traced down to the Idle Air Valve. That is a common issue ; removing the valve and spraying it with carb cleaner is anyway a "must do" maintenance item, even if it turns out not to be your problem. I'd begin with that.

located on the air intake exhaust side of the engine.
http://www.geocities.com/lmp4203/kiasport/IAC.jpg
It gets sticky and causes that kind of problem; once removed (2 screws), spraying carb cleaner into IAC ports will restore free operation. SInce doing this costs about nothing, this is at least wise maintenance.

Unfortunately the picture shown is for a 1996 or older Sportage with an EGR system and the older "cylinder" style IAC. The IAC on the 1997 thru 2002 Sportage is located on the intake pipe that runs across the top of the engine. Roughly above the exhaust cam side of the engine. Your Sportage might also have that useless plastic cover over the top of the engine. If so the wiring for the IAC pokes straight up thru the cover. Remove the cover to gain access to the IAC. Remove the 2 screws that secure it to the intake pipe. Spray carb cleaner into both ports of the IAC. Allow to dry for several minutes then reinstall. This should clear the rough idle.

LMP
03-22-2005, 10:46 AM
Thanks to Axeman's keen eye I have updated the photo. To avoid clutter, it is not repeated: see previous post.

nasrul
12-04-2005, 03:20 AM
In a pre 1997 model, there are 3 rubber tube from the engine. 1 to the fuel sensor and the other 2 to the EGR Solenoid Valve. I think the mechanic put the tube wrongly. Could anybody tell me which tube is for which sensor or valve?

MeettheCreeper
12-07-2005, 03:23 PM
I'm having trouble with my 2002 Sportage 2wd. It's shaking when the car is at a standstill (rough idling) or even in reverse sometimes. Does anyone know what the probable cause could be???

I have seen the fuel psi regulator leak and cause a rough idle. If you pull the vac line off of it and rev the engine you may get a spit of fuel out.

Replace it and the clamp on the rubbler line, I have seen several of those leaking especially when it is cold.

sportedge
03-11-2009, 09:28 PM
It's going to sound funny,but i had a rough idle problem and it was the clutch fan(cooling fan).It lost part of it' wax and was off-centered.Very easy to see when looking at it while the engine is idling.

Add your comment to this topic!