Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Supercharger vs. NA

topdown50
03-08-2005, 01:09 PM
With the addition of being able to add a S/C to some NA cars, I was wondering what's been figured out regarding the motor build up.

From what I've seen so far you can put a S/C on and gain a good amount of HP. Although, it seems that the NA mods and S/C are independent of each other. It would be nice if you could build the motor NA and then add a S/C to it :ylsuper:

So what have you guys been doing? It seems easier to just add the S/C for 12-14K and just run with it. Although, I haven't run the S/C for any length of time to know the longterm effects.

I bought a second 00 Cobra R last night and was going to build it NA for a comparison.

longlivetheZ
03-08-2005, 02:16 PM
I bought a Z06 and built it up to over 700hp NA. Out of curiousity, I checked to see if I could add a S/C on top of that (cuz none of the turbo options, which I would much rather have, are available anyway)...the S/C on top of the NA mods dropped the power over 100hp. The S/C just has very short limits in the game...go NA or go turbo!

DSM-Mark
03-08-2005, 03:58 PM
I bought a Z06 and built it up to over 700hp NA. Out of curiousity, I checked to see if I could add a S/C on top of that (cuz none of the turbo options, which I would much rather have, are available anyway)...the S/C on top of the NA mods dropped the power over 100hp. The S/C just has very short limits in the game...go NA or go turbo!

Can't say I totally agree with that. A lot of times, the supercharger will get you close to what the turbos/na tune-up will get you, for much, much cheaper. If you're looking to build up a car just to race in vehicle specific events, save your money and buy a supercharger. It should be plenty enough power.

Dreamspawn
03-08-2005, 06:15 PM
You can't S/C,turbo a NA tuned motor cause u can't do it in real life. S/C, turbo cars require lower compression or you will throw a rod or blow the whole thing up. Thus u can't do i on the game.

longlivetheZ
03-08-2005, 09:58 PM
You can't S/C,turbo a NA tuned motor cause u can't do it in real life. S/C, turbo cars require lower compression or you will throw a rod or blow the whole thing up. Thus u can't do i on the game.

Not true...this is why you see 203549874982739487234 S/C'd and turbo'd civics, S2000s, integras, mustangs, corvettes, etc? You can add forced induction to pretty much anything...all you have to do is lower the compression by A) getting new pistons or B) buying a thicker head gasket...really not too hard.

pre98zetec
03-08-2005, 10:22 PM
isnt that what he just said?

BP2K2Max
03-08-2005, 10:44 PM
i think what's trying to be said is that you can't do all three things(NA tune, S/C, and Turbo) at the same exact time on one car. like if you were to build a motor to be high power and NA in real life you'd be running some high compression pistons and shit. in real life you wouldn't be able to put a turbo on that motor built for lots of NA power without blowing the motor, too high compression and other problems would occur. that's why they give you the option for an A,B and C setup in the settings menu. like, I have a 350Z that has the custom turbo on it in one setting(A) and S/C in another setting(b) and then i have it with a level 2 turbo and sport tires(c) so i can still compete in the beginner races. the S/C(B) is good for small tracks cuz it gives instant power whereas the turbo setting(A) lags until 4K rpm, but it makes better power in the top end, making it better for high speed sourses. ya know what i'm sayin'?

Dreamspawn
03-08-2005, 11:25 PM
Yup thats what i said u can't have a car with high compression like NA tune adn the tubo.

topdown50
03-09-2005, 05:57 AM
Well, since I live in the motorcity and am around american muscle cars, I see big motors getting S/C's or Turbos all the time. Stroked mustangs with S/C's is a pretty common way to add horses. I do know that high compression motors can't add boost, but it doesn't mean that you can only boost a stock motor. I guess the game had to draw the line somewhere.

I guess my question was more towards what people are using and I think I got my answer.

longlivetheZ
03-09-2005, 03:42 PM
I know what you mean, man. The way you worded it made it seem like you thought that either it comes from the factory with it or not...that's it...

out there
03-09-2005, 05:03 PM
i don't know about building a real car for either na power or boost... it's all in the tuning. i read about an rsx (11.x:1 compression) with a sc running 4.x psi, and marco from magnusmotorsports runs his turbo awd dsm into 9s with 10:1 (if i remember correctly)

Dreamspawn
03-09-2005, 08:20 PM
Yah but the lower the compression the better on a turbo/sc like the HKS skylien i believe it is has 8.5 pistons so. alot of cars can be turbod,sc stock but if u went along of the road of a "NA tune" u woul most likely put high compression pistons in your car which won't take nicley to boost. Some u can but only at low levels.

Wild Cobra Z28
04-15-2005, 02:06 PM
Well, the NA/Supercharger issue is rather strait forward. Supercharger is better *IF* the max NA HP is only marginaly more. The reason for this is that the Supercharger has a superior torque curve. The same goes with Turbochargers. Most the T5 turbos, or Original, have less HP, however, they have a stronger torque curve.

Anytime you are contemplating power setups, when there is only minor power differences, look at the torque curve. Turbos usually have more power than NA setiups, but NA stups have better torque curves usually!

Add your comment to this topic!