Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

98malibu keyless remote programming

kayakken
03-07-2005, 04:31 PM
I recently picked up a malibu that only had one remote. i got another remote with programming instructions. I can't seem to get the instructions to work. instructions say to jumper the programming connector terminals which sit right off of the rcdlr. There is no programming connector in the harness on my car. I have tried several options on the receiver but no luck. I can't even get the original remote to program

Anybody have any ideas as to what I need to do.

Ken

wpbharry
03-08-2005, 08:23 AM
Visit your local dealer. Keyless remotes are a VERY tricky thing to attempt on your own.

kayakken
03-08-2005, 03:06 PM
I am not an idiot. I just needed to find out where the programming connector was. I found it from another posting. Thank you very much for trying to steer me to a dealer. As long as you know where the connector is located, ANY DUMMY can reprogram their remote.

Ken

mikeeman
03-08-2005, 03:12 PM
I am not an idiot. I just needed to find out where the programming connector was. I found it from another posting. Thank you very much for trying to steer me to a dealer. As long as you know where the connector is located, ANY DUMMY can reprogram their remote.

Ken

eeeeerrrrrrr - okay!

IFIXCARZ4U
03-08-2005, 10:41 PM
The program connector is a 2 wire connector taped to tha left side (Drivers side) wiring harness in the truck.

wpbharry
03-09-2005, 09:48 AM
Not sure why you're driving that POS anyway.

jhodny83
02-15-2006, 01:02 PM
Hi I was wondering where you found the programming connector. Likewise, I bought a 98 Malibu with only one remote and I bought a second remote and instructions. I looked behind the carpet on the left side in the trunk and I cannot find the programming connector. Any help would be appreciated.

bearcatdon
02-18-2006, 01:41 PM
If my memory serves me it's in front of the antenna. You may not be going deep enough in the trunk. It is only a small 2 pin connector.

Onblsht
02-20-2006, 10:02 PM
A remote door lock reciver may have up to four different transmitters programmed. You may program a transmitter to more than one vehicle providing the remote keyless entry systems are similar. When reprogramming one transmitter, reprogram any and all other transmitters (maximum of 4 total per reciver) at the same time in order for the other transmitters to work.

Important

Leave a window down in the vehicle while reprogramming the remote control door lock receiver system. This procedure will avoid an unintentional lock out if the reprogramming is not performed properly.

1. Turn the ignition off.
2. Ground the receiver program terminal. Jump the two terminals located in the programing ground connector. (What this means in simple terms is locate the wires that run on the right side of the trunk. There is two black wires that has a plug on the end with two prongs. It is in between the antenna and tail lights.)
3. Within 2 seconds of connecting the prongs the door locks will lock. The unlock and the rear compartment lid release will produce a cycle, causing the horn to chirp. This indicates that the module is ready for reprogramming.
4. Press and hold the lock and unlock buttons at the same time until the doors lock and unlock. The rear compartment lid will release and the horn sounds to indicate that the transmitter has successfully been reprogrammed. (Hold buttons down for approximately 12 seconds)
5. Repeat the previous step for the remaining transmitters.
6. Remove the jumper at the program connector.
7. Verify the proper operation of each transmitter.

jhodny83
03-01-2006, 11:54 PM
Thanks for you help, I found the it and programmed my remotes successfully!:)

steve_o
09-20-2006, 08:06 AM
I have a 1998 and my Keyless FOB stopped working about a week ago. I read through a few of these threads and tried the outlined procedure last night.

After I jumpered the two prongs, I heard the doors lock - unlock and the trunk release - but NO horn chirp.

I held down the lock & unlock buttons on my FOB and nothing happened.

I tried it a couple of more times but with the same results.

Does this mean the receiver device is faulty?

Has anyone seen this?

Add your comment to this topic!