Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

oil leak

gary01mo
03-07-2005, 04:29 PM
hello to all.
I have a 1993 Toyoyta pickup,Lowrider, with a 2.4 eng.
Now my Question, has developed oil leak at front of engine.look.s like
behind timing gear cover. not sure .Not showing water in oil. do not have manual for truck. Could this be the front crankshaft seal? Truck dose not smoke. but has developed a knock like rockerarm or tappet
Starting to tear down any advice will be appreciated.

gary01mo

DM_Rok
04-12-2005, 07:42 AM
If it's not the front cover, I would suspect the front crank seal. However, be sure to inspect the surface on the crank pulley that contacts the seal. If the mileage is high, it may have a groove worn in it. You can fix this easily with a sleeve kit.

Tim81ta
04-13-2005, 12:03 AM
Here's a good possiblitly, and I would beat money on it. You should be talking about the 22R block. It's probley the oil pump. Your oil pump assembly is mounted on the lower half of the timing cover behing the drive pulleys. This is a very common problem, I just went through it. There's a o-ring, not a gasket that seals that piece. That oil ring tends to start leaking with high miliage. Also, this oil ring see the direct oil press of the engine, so it will get worse over time.

Take the truck to a shop and have them look at it, if they say that it's, be careful, they might try to give you a run, like they tried with me. It's not a very hard fix, to if your mechanicly inclined, you will be able todo it in a matter of hours.

Let us know if that's the problem, if you want advice on how to fix it let me know, I can walk you step by step

grhand96
10-22-2006, 10:01 PM
hello to all.
I have a 1993 Toyoyta pickup,Lowrider, with a 2.4 eng.
Now my Question, has developed oil leak at front of engine.look.s like
behind timing gear cover. not sure .Not showing water in oil. do not have manual for truck. Could this be the front crankshaft seal? Truck dose not smoke. but has developed a knock like rockerarm or tappet
Starting to tear down any advice will be appreciated.

gary01mo

Hey Gary,

Just went through this on my 89 p/u.
It ended up being the oil seal on the front of the oil pump. We bought a timming chain gasket kit for 10 bucks, the oil seal comes with the kit.
The oil pump is right behind the bottom pulley. Pry the old one out and use the old one to press the new one in. This cured our problem. It was spraying so much oil that it cooked the alternator!! Good Luck !!

DM_Rok
10-28-2006, 04:04 PM
The most likely source of this leak is the front crankshaft seal, especially if you are getting alot of oil spray all over the front engine area. Go ahead and get a pulley repair kit (sleeve) because chances are, a groove in the sealing surface is what caused the leak in the first place, and they are only about $5-$10.
Go ahead and pull the whole oil pump off the engine and replace that o-ring seal at this time. They don't usually leak, but consider it preventative maintainance. It's only a few extra bolts to remove anyway.

Add your comment to this topic!