Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

subs in standard s-10?

jl1234567890
03-07-2005, 09:51 AM
i have a standard size 88 s-10 with very little room behind the seats. i want to put subs possibly 2 10inch or maybe even 2 12inch. i dont think the 12 will even be close to fitting. i have faith that i can squeeze 2 10s in SOMEHOW lol. and recomondations? does any1 know a specific brand or sub-box combo that will fit behind theses seats? or maybe i should buy subs and make my own box? i would guess theres about 7-8 inches at the floor behind the seats and as it goes up the room narrows. a standard box will not fit but the subs will. any suggestions?

kenyonja2007
03-07-2005, 10:32 AM
I've got a '94 regular cab, and I'm assuming I have about the same amount of room as you. I have a 10 inch behind my seat. I couldn't find a sub box that would fit that was under like 100 bucks, so I built my own. I have enough room to fit 2 10's but I don't think I would have enough for 2 12's. Even with my one 10 it is just barely enough volume to be a sealed enclosure. Just took my time and made one out of plywood and it works awesome. Also fit my amplifier right next to it. I'll take a picture a little later for ya.

xtrememeasures10
03-07-2005, 09:06 PM
Alot of ppl ask about this. Its easy. i have a 97 standard cab with two audiobahn 10in subs. and an amp rack holding my audiobahn amp inbetween them. 12s require a little box more space to hit to there full potential. i opted to go w/ 10s. Make your boxes out of 3/4in MDF. NOT plywood. I had to relocate my jack so i could fit them. ill take a picture tomorrow and upload it.

kenyonja2007
03-07-2005, 10:03 PM
Just curious, why shouldn't you make sub boxes out of plywood? I used 3/8ths ply and it seems plenty rigid, if that is the problem. Not sure, I'm no expert.

ponchonutty
03-07-2005, 10:10 PM
Personally, I wouldn't even use MDF. In my shop, I use HDF because it is extremely hard. This hardness helps keep it rigid so it doesn't flex with the music.

As far as the space and sub concern, I've gotten many 12" woofers in reg. cab trucks. The trick is to pick the right woofer for what you want. Normally I choose sealed boxes because they are smaller than ported. Even so, sometimes ported is the choice.

I love Directed Audio subs just for this reason. I built a box for a 12" CompX sub that was only .3 cu/ft box!!!! I reverse mounted it and it pounded!!! Many other brands like Audiobahn require boxes at least 3x's that size. Obviously you'll need something custom made here. No prefab box is going to work for you.

BlazerLT
03-08-2005, 12:45 AM
do a search on google and on ebay.

There are premade s10 subwoofer boxes.

movin2stereo
03-08-2005, 05:20 AM
Just curious, why shouldn't you make sub boxes out of plywood? I used 3/8ths ply and it seems plenty rigid, if that is the problem. Not sure, I'm no expert.
Plywood is pourous so to speak and not rigid.

jl1234567890
03-08-2005, 09:20 AM
thanks alot everybody i heard what i needed.. the pics would b nice to see too. i think im just going to build my own sub box for 2 10s audiobahns off ebay i found a nice pair on there.

kenyonja2007
03-08-2005, 05:47 PM
http://people.clarkson.edu/~kenyonja/sub.JPG This is the setup behind my seat. Only a cheap RF 10 inch and a 100watt RF amp but it is plenty for the small cab space in the truck. Crude, but works very well.

kenyonja2007
03-08-2005, 05:48 PM
whoa, didnt mean to make it that big

xtrememeasures10
03-08-2005, 08:43 PM
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/10/web/562000-562999/562509_30_full.jpg
Theres a pic of my setup. My subs are temporary. My first set of audiobahns were mess up in my wreck. So i have a set that was given 2 my from my friend. ill have audiobahns w/ grilles soon. As i said you have 2 cut out your jack inorder to have enough room. i have a hard top on my bed so that was no problem throwing my jack in there other wize theres room under your seat or under your hood in a bag to keep it dry. well have fun w/ it.

xtrememeasures10
03-08-2005, 09:00 PM
oooh about plywood. no offence or anything dude. MDF is much more dense. Medium density fiberwood is in my opinion the best for the money. HDF High density fiberwood im assuming. never used it for a box. couldnt give you an opinion on that. Make sure you drill your holes w/ MDF it will crack very easily if you dont. and i reccomend liquid nails or a strong wood glue between pieces. wont ever have to mess with it again. OOH and if your wandering why i didnt carpet mine. 1/8th of an inch is how much closer it would be to my seat. which equaled moving it one more notch. foreward. Ill puddy the screw holes and paint it one day lol. I used sylicone cauk on the inside seams to seal it.

dmbrisket 51
03-08-2005, 09:18 PM
xtream, very nice setup, but you can carpet it, just dont carpet the backside... and if you still think the carpet is to thick, go to walmart or joans, and get yourselfe some fabric instead of carpeting

kenyonja2007
03-08-2005, 09:46 PM
Ok, sounds like plywood is not the way to go, but it sounds fine to me and is rigid enough if you use thick enough stuff I suppose.

dmbrisket 51
03-08-2005, 09:48 PM
plywood is a no no, it can crack apart, use partical board if your going to use something cheep, the glue in the pb is stronger then the wood itselfe, making it overall, stronger then a piece of plywood

xtrememeasures10
03-08-2005, 11:05 PM
Thats true. i could carpet it that way too. Im really more interested in taking the box back out. doing a little more work on it and having the amp rack stick out 1 1/2 inches from the back wall and putting a blue neon behind it so it glows from behind the amp too. havent decided yet though. i really want to router the edges smooth and throw a coat of paint down on it. i think that would look cool. havent made up my mind yet. thanks for the props dude.

dmbrisket 51
03-09-2005, 05:43 PM
if im not mistaken and i may be, mdf is held together with glue, if you paint it, due to the glue not being poris, it will flake and peel fairly quickly... if its not glued then go for it, will look sweet if you do a good job with it

BlazerLT
03-09-2005, 08:50 PM
that is why you use carpet.

movin2stereo
03-09-2005, 08:55 PM
that is why you use carpet.
Agreed and carpet hides flaws also.

ponchonutty
03-10-2005, 08:58 PM
Most of the boxes I sell now are painted. Yes, you use glue for the box but you also need to use screws. I Bondo the whole box then sand it smooth, shoot it with automotive primer, then shoot it with base/clear just like a car. I am doing one right now that's made mostly out of HDF, fleece, and fiberglass. It will be shot in the same color as the vehicle and also have 3d airbrushed flames in it.

xtrememeasures10
03-10-2005, 10:02 PM
Yeah im thinking about redoing my boxes in fiberglass. im not sure yet. would sell my setup if i did. no my stuff is not glued together. i used sylicone caulk in the inside to seal it off, and used long wood screws to hold it together. I would puddy up the holes if i did. all my screws are countersunk.

Add your comment to this topic!