Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

A bad problem that needs a diagnosis

Trueeclipse
03-06-2005, 06:18 PM
Okay well I am driving, I am in first gear and everything is fine
I shift up to 2nd gear what I notice is after I shift and push the gas the rpm goes up high ammounts but the speed of the car doesnt then after a bit the rpm drops and it returns to normal, so I shift up and it does the same thing... WHAT IS THIS?!?! HOW BAD IS IT??!?!

I own a 1996 Mitsu. GS Spyder Eclipse....

awd_n_it
03-06-2005, 07:48 PM
sounds like your clutch is slipping. Do you notice a strange smell, (like some thing is buring) at all?

97_3clipse
03-06-2005, 08:08 PM
if it dosent slip in first gear than its not gonna slip in second....did you grind the trans at all or do anything to mess up the trans?

Trueeclipse
03-06-2005, 08:34 PM
if it dosent slip in first gear than its not gonna slip in second....did you grind the trans at all or do anything to mess up the trans?

I was just riding in it and it does slip in first gear but eventualy picks up as all of the other gears do, I have only grinded the trans a few times but that was a year ago.

Trueeclipse
03-06-2005, 09:44 PM
It is a 5 speed manual, yes I do smell a burning type smell what is that? How bad is this on my tranny?

kjewer1
03-06-2005, 10:53 PM

Not true :) Higher gears place a greater load on the clutch, making it more likely to slip in higher gears. I've had clutches in the past that were fine in the lower gears, but in 4th and 5th would slip at full boost. In a 5spd car, if RPMs rise and speed does not (or they are not proportional/linear) the clutch is the number one most likely cause. There are other things too like broken center diff, or front or rear axle, where the only couple provided is from the VC, but thats less common and only applies to AWDs.

awd_n_it
03-07-2005, 12:52 AM
It is a 5 speed manual, yes I do smell a burning type smell what is that? How bad is this on my tranny?

The smell is your clutch sliping then heating up and burning, your transmission is more then likey safe.

I would start by changing the clutch you can get one at a local parts store for $100-$175 but when you change your clutch you have to get your flywheel resurfaced, if you don't get your flywheel resurfaced, your brand new clutch wont last too long. Make sure you have the machine shop check it for cracks when you bring it in to get it resurfaced.

kjewer1
03-07-2005, 03:41 AM
AMke sure they not only resurface it, but set the step height correctly. Make sure they understand that this is important, since most customers dont know what this is and dont care. ACT clutches require 610, I THINK stock is the same, but look that up.

Trueeclipse
03-07-2005, 06:36 AM
Ok well my next question is should I get an OEM clutch or an aftermarket clutch?

slowgsowner
03-07-2005, 09:26 AM
Also make sure you get the rear main replaced while you do this (might be part of the problem anyway due to leakage) shouldn't cost much. I got my seal for like $5.90 so might as well

Add your comment to this topic!