VCT Solenoid problem ??

lumpydink
03-06-2005, 01:34 PM
I have a 98 Contour 2 Lt. The check engine light has been on and off for about one year. I have recently had the timing belt changed,(car has 135,000 km on it) but since then, the check enging light is still on, and now when ever I put my foot on the gas, I get a hesitation. I was told that the VCT solenoid sensor ($600) needs to be replaced. Could it be that the timing belt was installed improperly. Is there a test that could be done to find out just what the problem may be, without having to mortgage my home ??

zx2srdotnet
03-06-2005, 10:52 PM
unplug the vct plug and see if it still happens

amac209
03-08-2005, 11:14 PM
do you know what the code is?? chances are the solenoid or the wiring were bad before. if the code is for over advanced/ under advanced timing they screwed up while changing the timing belt. trust me belts on these are a real pain to replace. the vct solenoid sucks to change too you need to remove the timing belt and the exhaust camshaft. the price is 3.8 hours labor. unpluging the connector won't make the light go off because the computer will see the winding in the solenoid as being open.

zx2srdotnet
03-09-2005, 08:30 AM
i ment to see if the problem still occurs, i know that it will still throw a cel

Add your comment to this topic!