Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

brake fluid on tamiya epoxy?

spidereddie
03-06-2005, 12:08 PM
Does anyone know what brake fluid (to strip paint..as I found out through searching) does to epoxy (quick-type). I know Malsheem asked this as part of a thread a while back, but he didn't get a direct answer to this portion of his question.

thanks.

and any specifics in terms of how much time/amount to use would be good to

spidereddie
03-06-2005, 05:50 PM
bump...please, anyone?

kicth
03-06-2005, 06:02 PM
hope this help:

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=234497&highlight=epoxy+brake+fluid

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=318356&highlight=epoxy+brake+fluid

mickbench
03-06-2005, 06:02 PM
I used DOT 4 to strip Tamiya TS spray. It took ALL the paint, and also made the glued parts weak. I had small amounts of crack filler putty, but it didn't desolve it. But I did have to reglue the front light holders backing in, and re-sand the entire body.

I would be careful.. But others on this board might be more able to answer.

MPWR
03-06-2005, 07:12 PM
Orrrr-

Forget the brake fluid, and strip the TS with isopropyl alcohol. Use the strongest you can find- 99% is availible in drugstores. It'll strip the paint, won't bother the epoxy, and won't poison you (unless you drink it).

spidereddie
03-07-2005, 08:03 PM
the dot3 brake fluid over night worked like a charm. Tamiya Epoxy was NOT damaged, weakened, but not dissolved by any means. The gluied parts, as said in many other threads, came off, but no big deal, as their is no paint and I don't even think I'm going to sand much. It came our smooth (like "just out of the box, never saw paint" smooth, but only in some spots). yess! The filler putty however is a different story, grrrrr... gotta break out my basic putty tube and get to work

KruznPinoy
03-08-2005, 02:14 AM
What exactly is csc? Is it motor oil or is it a detergent? I can't find csc at my automotive store...

Add your comment to this topic!