Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Won't Start

bumpit2001
03-06-2005, 11:50 AM
My friend has a 97 gs and it won't start. He's getting no power to the coil packs. We've replaced the crank sensor and we've checked the cam sensor, and the cam sensor is good. but it starts some times and runs for a few seconds and dies, the longest its ran is 20 min. What esle do i need to do, we are about to go crazy. Please Help!

kjewer1
03-06-2005, 04:21 PM
The only thing left that I Can think of is the ECU itself (bad ignition drivers?) or a break in the wiring that opens up intermittently. When its not starting I would try to ohm out the wiring if you can get a good schematic.

bumpit2001
03-06-2005, 07:21 PM
thank you very much.

Now I was wondering if there is a way to test the ECU my self with an ohm meter or something before I send it off to get tested. Any help would be appreciated.

matth
03-07-2005, 06:22 PM
If you have any friends with a dsm you might ask them if you could take out thier ecm and put it into yours then you will know if it is the ecm. But thier is a way to test it without taken out I realy do think if you did a search you would find out how. Case I have looked for it before and found it on this forum. But if you do have to replace it they have the ecm at advance auto for $250 conpared to the dealers $1200 so good luck hope I helped

bumpit2001
03-31-2005, 01:21 AM
Does anyone know where I can get a good schematic besides the Chilton book, because we have now replaced the ecu, asd relay, and the fuel pump relay, and we still have the same problem. So we believe it could be the wiring. Any help would be appreicated.

91 Eclipse
04-03-2005, 10:02 PM
check the relay.

Clipsa
04-12-2005, 09:14 AM
I was having the same problem w/ my 98 eclipse-we were doing just a simple head-gasket and the dang thing would not start back up- ended up changing the ignition switch, the relay for the starter, every other relay imaginable except the fuel pump relay. We finally gave up and had a well-known shop come pick it up. It was that fuel pump relay. We swiped one off another eclipse from their junk yard and worked good for a few weeks- had to finally break down and buy a new one- havent had a problem w/ starting since. Although I have a slow start- I heard it was the line to the fuel pump has to much slack? Any feedback on that?
Good luck- ps fuel pump relay is located on firewall- the chilton book and hayes books do not show you where this relay is- we had a heck of a time!

bumpit2001
04-19-2005, 03:34 PM
all relays r good we put all new ones and swapped them around and everything. thank you can you think of anything esle

bumpit2001
10-07-2005, 04:46 PM
can anyone help this car is still busted its been almost 1 year

Amplituned
01-10-2006, 05:40 AM
can anyone help this car is still busted its been almost 1 year
Hey, if you want a good wiring Diagram, you can always go to a mitsubishi dealership and ask the service department to print you up one. Or, it sounds stupid, if you know anyone at a shop that has a Mitchell on demand or Alldata programs. Even alot of Tech schools have them now too. People can be schools can be ***holes sometimes, but for the most part they are willing to help ya out. hope that helps.

Add your comment to this topic!