Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

clicking noise from engine

0311_lifer
03-05-2005, 10:18 PM
i have a 2004 crown victoria sport with 8,900 miles on it. the car is running 5w-20 oil right now i believe and today i took it out for a nice long drive. i noticed something when i was outside the car both before and after this long drive. it soundedlike a clicking noise coming from under the hood. now mind you this car is in really really really good condition. the engine has absolutely no leaks and theres no other strange noises or any thing ever. i was told in the past with another car that the clicking is the valve lifters. now i dont think they can be collapsed or any thing it just doesnt make any sense. on the next oil change im doing in april im going to be adding either 5w-30 or 10w-30 mobil 1 synthetic and maybe a k&n oil filter. would adding heavier oil maybe fix the problem ? the noise is really bothering me i dont want to have to take it in to a ford mechanic and be lied to because he doesnt want to fix it for free since its under warranty. any one have any advice ?

0311_lifer
03-06-2005, 10:35 AM
today i ran it again and i realised you cnt even really hear the clicking noise till a minute after you start it up and it starts to idle. any one have any idea whats wrong ? someone else said it might be the injectors.

cobradude360
03-06-2005, 07:03 PM
sounds like its the injectors doin there job

0311_lifer
03-06-2005, 08:59 PM
THANK YOU !!!!!!! now i can sleep more easily at night. i think im gonig to stick to changing it to mobil 1 5w-20 with a motorcraft filter maybe ? i hope that will be ok for the summer in virginia.

cobradude360
03-06-2005, 09:06 PM
yea id switch to the mobil 1 oil i hear its beter in cold weather and at start ups

0311_lifer
03-06-2005, 09:18 PM
what filter would you suggest ? i think regular oil change intervals for this car are like 5000 miles. im afraidto use 5w-30 or 10w-30 synthetic because ford says it might void warranty if it causes any thing to break. what do you think about this ?

backyard_mech420
03-08-2005, 03:16 PM
You should never hear the fuel injectors at Idle speed,It sounds to me like you may be hearing Ping or Spark Knock,which will be the Loudest at Idle and decrease as you accelerate.This would most likely be Incorrect Ignition Timing,but could also be an air leak into the intake manifold,and several other things.

0311_lifer
03-08-2005, 03:30 PM
how can i avoid getting shafted by the ford dealership or carmax mechanics? they will most likely say theres nothing wrong when there probably is because this car has an extended warranty and the factory ford warranty isnt even expired.

cobradude360
03-08-2005, 03:30 PM
any filter really try an ac delco or even a k&n but yes it could b spark knock try puting a higher octain fuel in it but its such a new car that i dunno there shouldnt b spark knock unless theres bad gas in it

0311_lifer
03-08-2005, 04:16 PM
it really sounds like a constant ticking noise at idle definately not a pinging noise. i just called the ford dealership and spoke to one of their mechanics and he told me to bring it in. to get checked and he said its probably nothing. i wish there was one mechanic within 50 miles besides a ford stealership or carmax who could tell me whats wrong. my dads friend who knows more about these cars than either me or my dad couldnt tell us what was causing that noise. does the 2004 crown victoria have a plastic intake manifold or an aluminum one ? i heard they did something about that problem in 2003 but is it still plastic ? what are some signs that the car has a cracked intake manifold ? the vehicle doesnt have any leaks.

jimmytroanoke
03-21-2005, 11:42 AM
Get some rest! Your clicking is the injectors. My 95 has clicked at idle for 10 years and 130k. The intake problem has been fixed - does your motor have an aluminum crossover on the front of the intake? Thats the new design. In all my years I have NEVER, EVER heard a car spark knock or ping at idle - only under a load. There is nothing wrong with your car - get some sleep!

way2old
03-21-2005, 01:36 PM
If the car is a 2004 with 8900 miles, it is under warranty and should cost you nothing to have repaired. Have dealer look at it for you. We have run into bad PCV's that have caused this. You can pull PCV out of grommet and hold thumb over valve and see if noise goes away. :2cents:

backyard_mech420
03-21-2005, 02:30 PM
Get some rest! Your clicking is the injectors. My 95 has clicked at idle for 10 years and 130k. The intake problem has been fixed - does your motor have an aluminum crossover on the front of the intake? Thats the new design. In all my years I have NEVER, EVER heard a car spark knock or ping at idle - only under a load. There is nothing wrong with your car - get some sleep!

I'm just speaking from experience with my 87 Vic 5.0 EFI.I have never heard the fuel injectors making any noise,at idle or under load.My Vic sounds smooth during idle ie:no clicking,ticking,ping,belt or pulley noise,which is the only way I would have her running.But,If the Clicking coming from your engine dose'nt bother you then it's not a problem.

jimmytroanoke
03-22-2005, 10:40 AM
I'm just speaking from experience with my 87 Vic 5.0 EFI.I have never heard the fuel injectors making any noise,at idle or under load.My Vic sounds smooth during idle ie:no clicking,ticking,ping,belt or pulley noise,which is the only way I would have her running.But,If the Clicking coming from your engine dose'nt bother you then it's not a problem.

I am speaking from experience as well, only with the same engine that he has! I am the original owner of my car. Lets see - How many differences are there between the pushrod 5.0 and the OHC 4.6. There is absolutely no commonality between the 2. The 4.6 is inherently quieter than the 5.0 which is why you can hear the injectors clicking. Is your '87 MPFI or Throttle body (TBI)? The TBI engines had the injectors (2)muffled inside the air filter housing whereas MPFI has them(8) out and exposed. The new crown Vic's are electric fan only, so unless the motor is hot no whoosh of air thru the engine compartment to mask the injector ticking. When you start with an engine that is inherently quieter, you will hear more of the other functions happening, such as injectors clicking. How would you hear them under load, BTW? Have a friend drive the car while you ride under the hood? Just curious! :grinno:

To the other poster about the PCV clicking, that is true> I had forgotten about that one. I have had it with both aftermarket and Motorcraft PCV valves.

backyard_mech420
03-22-2005, 04:19 PM
I am speaking from experience as well, only with the same engine that he has! I am the original owner of my car. Lets see - How many differences are there between the pushrod 5.0 and the OHC 4.6. There is absolutely no commonality between the 2. The 4.6 is inherently quieter than the 5.0 which is why you can hear the injectors clicking. Is your '87 MPFI or Throttle body (TBI)? The TBI engines had the injectors (2)muffled inside the air filter housing whereas MPFI has them(8) out and exposed. The new crown Vic's are electric fan only, so unless the motor is hot no whoosh of air thru the engine compartment to mask the injector ticking. When you start with an engine that is inherently quieter, you will hear more of the other functions happening, such as injectors clicking. How would you hear them under load, BTW? Have a friend drive the car while you ride under the hood? Just curious! :grinno:

To the other poster about the PCV clicking, that is true> I had forgotten about that one. I have had it with both aftermarket and Motorcraft PCV valves.

I am aware of the differences between the 5.0 & the 4.6,and how much quieter the 4.6 is,which it should be.I have no experience with the 4.6,the injectors may be totally different,But it seems to me if you can hear your injectors clicking at idle,eather something is wrong or the 4.6 is too weak to mask the sound of them.My '87 is MPFI(Multi Port Fuel Injection),and I have a Raidiator with Dual Electric Fans.I removed my mechanical fan beforehand and installed all new performance pulleys.The entire setup runs very quiet at idle,all you can hear is the low rumble of a Turbocharged 5.0 coming out of dual flowmasters,and under load all I can hear is pure performance.;)

jimmytroanoke
03-23-2005, 08:18 AM
I am aware of the differences between the 5.0 & the 4.6,and how much quieter the 4.6 is,which it should be.I have no experience with the 4.6,the injectors may be totally different,But it seems to me if you can hear your injectors clicking at idle,eather something is wrong or the 4.6 is too weak to mask the sound of them.My '87 is MPFI(Multi Port Fuel Injection),and I have a Raidiator with Dual Electric Fans.I removed my mechanical fan beforehand and installed all new performance pulleys.The entire setup runs very quiet at idle,all you can hear is the low rumble of a Turbocharged 5.0 coming out of dual flowmasters,and under load all I can hear is pure performance.;)

The injector ticking is a very low volume noise but is audible. Perhaps the 4.6 uses a different type of injector than your "87. All they are is an electromagnetically actuated solenoid valve, albeit a very high speed one. when energized the valve snaps open - when deenergized the valve snaps closed. This snap is the light click that you hear. I have never heard that a quiet (in the engine compartment) is a sign of weakness. Perhaps if our poster had Flowmasters rumbling, he would not hear the clicking. When Ford introduced the Modular V-8, in dyno testing running a durability test akin to running up Pikes peak at full throttle, the stock 4.6 surpasssed the stock 5.0 by a factor of 2.5. Ask any limo company. In another forum I was on A limo company said they average 750 thousand miles before retirement on the 4.6's, and have exceeded one million on some. I don't think they are an inherently weak motor.

backyard_mech420
03-23-2005, 09:07 AM
The injector ticking is a very low volume noise but is audible. Perhaps the 4.6 uses a different type of injector than your "87. All they are is an electromagnetically actuated solenoid valve, albeit a very high speed one. when energized the valve snaps open - when deenergized the valve snaps closed. This snap is the light click that you hear. I have never heard that a quiet (in the engine compartment) is a sign of weakness. Perhaps if our poster had Flowmasters rumbling, he would not hear the clicking. When Ford introduced the Modular V-8, in dyno testing running a durability test akin to running up Pikes peak at full throttle, the stock 4.6 surpasssed the stock 5.0 by a factor of 2.5. Ask any limo company. In another forum I was on A limo company said they average 750 thousand miles before retirement on the 4.6's, and have exceeded one million on some. I don't think they are an inherently weak motor.

Just to be sure i went out and started my Vic,put my ear right next to one of the injectors,did'nt hear a thing,or if it is clicking I cant hear it.If the clicking is such a low noise on the 4.6 then why would the poster of this thread,0311 Lifer,be able to hear his Injectors Loud enough to cause him concern?I've never seen any 5.0 vs 4.6 Stock dyno comparisons so I cant comment on that,I'm not a big fan of stock engines.I've just always heard numerous complaints from Mustang Owners,that the 4.6 is a weaker engine.But it Dose'nt matter to me which engine is better,because I'm up close to 300hp with my Vic's 5.0,and very happy flying down my town's track :),and in a few yrs I'll be dropping in a Ford Racing 514 V8 with 650+hp *mouth waters thinking of the possibilities* ;)

jimmytroanoke
03-23-2005, 09:38 AM
Just to be sure i went out and started my Vic,put my ear right next to one of the injectors,did'nt hear a thing,or if it is clicking I cant hear it.If the clicking is such a low noise on the 4.6 then why would the poster of this thread,0311 Lifer,be able to hear his Injectors Loud enough to cause him concern?I've never seen any 5.0 vs 4.6 Stock dyno comparisons so I cant comment on that,I'm not a big fan of stock engines.I've just always heard numerous complaints from Mustang Owners,that the 4.6 is a weaker engine.But it Dose'nt matter to me which engine is better,because I'm up close to 300hp with my Vic's 5.0,and very happy flying down my town's track :),and in a few yrs I'll be dropping in a Ford Racing 514 V8 with 650+hp *mouth waters thinking of the possibilities* ;)

When you put the 514 in be sure not to cut your hood and keep the Vinyl top. Killer Sleeper! Probably empty the wallet of a few F-body owners! Not to mention the Mustang contingent and the Coffee can muffler boys! If the noise 0311 Lifer is hearing is the injectors it is no cause to alarm. They just must use a different type than on your 5.0. My 95 clicked in 95 when I bought it and clicks 10 years later. You have to have the hood open to hear it ( I still have mechanical and electric fans) but it is regular, not harsh, and perfectly normal. At 140K never had a wrench on it except for maintenance miles I can still set a glass of water on top of the motor with it running. The 5.0 mustangs tend to be stronger only because the aftermarket has a much wider variety of cheap mods for the 5.0 than the 4.6. Heads are a real issue because they are OHC and the price is much (3X) higher. In bone stock form the 4.6 mustangs will generally run neck and neck with the 5.0's.

backyard_mech420
03-24-2005, 08:53 AM
Oh yeah,Shes gonna look bone stock from the outside,I saw a killer sleeper from the first time I laid eyes on this car.Definatly gonna be emptying the wallets of some Ricers.I just hope I can find a Ford Trans that will handle that much HP.

jimmytroanoke
03-24-2005, 09:24 AM
Oh yeah,Shes gonna look bone stock from the outside,I saw a killer sleeper from the first time I laid eyes on this car.Definatly gonna be emptying the wallets of some Ricers.I just hope I can find a Ford Trans that will handle that much HP.

Built C-6 should fill the bill. No OD though, but I think some of the Gear Vendors units are stout enough.

Add your comment to this topic!