Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

···[newbie] driving stick technique clarification···

silentbob
03-05-2005, 09:04 PM
hey guys

im not sure which forum to post this in, but i figured there would be more MT drivers in here :D

i have read a few tutorials on the internet, but i dont understand them 100%

i have a few things that i want to clarify if possible.

1. when shifting gears: foot off gas, clutch in, shift, clutch out, then gas. however, when you reach the "clutch out" stage, how fast should you let it out? i was trying to get a car going but it would stall very often. i thought riding on the clutch was a bad thing for the car?

should i be letting the clutch out slowly while applying the gas at the same time?

2. when coming to a stop light, do i have to downshift? or can i just brake? i assume i would have to push the clutch in to prevent stalling?

how / what do you guys do when you approach a light?

--------

i think thats it for now,

thanks for the help

SB

silentbob
03-05-2005, 11:20 PM
guess i was wrong.

TheStang00
03-05-2005, 11:59 PM
you apply the gas and let off the clutch at the same time when starting from a stop, when they say dont ride the clutch they mean dont ride around all over the place with it pushed in a little. starting u have to work both pedals at the same time. you dont have to downshift if u dont want to when stoping,u can just push the clutch in and brake, but i always downshift... i just do it.

silentbob
03-06-2005, 12:08 AM
awesome. thx for the input.

SiGNAL748
03-06-2005, 01:38 AM
SilentBob, I would say you have the basic concept down. Although nothing will help more than pure practice. Good Luck.

New2Racing
03-20-2005, 07:59 PM
good job man, as 4 the stop light thing, i usually downshift, i rarely brake and then just push in the clutch...i dont know if this is an old post, but w/e, ill spill myself n e ways. when approaching a stoplight, u in theory do the same as upshifting, but try and figure out the concept of how the clutch, gas pedal, and brake pedal work together.

brake-the brake pedal helps slow down the wheels of the car

clutch- "connects" and "disconnects" wheels to the engine turning force

gas pedal-helps move ur shit via injecting air/fuel mixture into ur engine
(not important @ the moment)

so lets say ur travelling 60km/h (25-35mph?) on 3nd gear, and u want to just slow down in the middle of a paved field.

-let go of the gas pedal
-brake a bit until u see your rpm's @ 1,000
-at that moment, press your clutch in fully (never partially, because this can cause excessive wear on your clutch in the duration of its very,very short life)
-pop (shift) that biatch (your car) into 2nd gear (while having the clutch pressed fully in)
-slowly add gas, while slowly releasing the clutch pedal
(if you feel the "stalling sensation", then add gas! , if u feel some clutch slippage, let go of the clutch!)
- ^ use this last point as your only commandment for the first while

***BTW***
:nono: DO NOT :nono: practise on a road with cars on it, find the darkest road there is with no cars on it, and try it out

~i take no responsability for any stupid moves anyone reading this may have made, this was written on personal time to imform~

take care :smokin:

silentbob
03-20-2005, 08:04 PM
lol... awesome! :P gunna take my friends corrado out to a dark dark alley. *shifty eyes*

drftk1d
03-29-2005, 05:16 PM
learn rev matching (on downshift) at the same time too.

its a good habit.

2of9
04-12-2005, 10:07 PM
rev matching? i can drive manual but what the heck is that? just downshifting??

drftk1d
04-12-2005, 10:18 PM
instead of just throwing back a gear, find the right rpm (like if youre doing 40 in 5th at 1500rpm then you might need to rev up to 2500 to stay doing 40 in 4th) and downshift. its probably how you do it normally.

Add your comment to this topic!