Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

I can't get the water pump pulley/casing to seperate from the water pump.

mikev08826
03-05-2005, 09:19 PM
I own a 99 grand am V6, 3400. I am replacing the water pump and have the serpentine belt removed, and the four bolts holding the pulley onto the water pump are removed, but the casing/pulley wont come off.

Hoags
03-05-2005, 10:20 PM
I just looked at the Haynes manual, There is a description on removing the water pump. The manual I have goes up to the 1998 Grand Am but there is instruction for V6 water pump removal. It states that if the pulley will not come off ( if you don't have clearence it says to move the pulley aside to get to the bolts holding the pump to the engine. I would think if you can get the pump off the engine you may have better luck looking at removing the pulley on the tool bench. It also states that after the pump bolts are removed if the pump will not come off...use a soft hammer ( I guess a rubber mallet or plastic hammer) and tap on the housing to break it free. It says DO NOT PRY THE PUMP FROM THE BLOCK, can cause damage to the sealing surfaces.

I hope this information helps it is all I could come up with.

Good luck,
Dan

mikev08826
03-05-2005, 11:25 PM
nevermind. The pulley pried off with more force. I was just reluctant because i didn't want to "break anything." But for those of you who need a new water pump...it's E A S Y. Took me about an hour and a half...and that included spending a half hour figuring how i was going to get the pulley off.

Hoags
03-06-2005, 12:13 AM
That's cool that the V6 is easy, the Quad 4 is a real B**CH, I just posted to another thread that has a coolant leak in the area of the water pump on a Quad 4, I looked in the Haynes manual and it sounds like a big deal. I had mine changed on my 96 GAGT 2.4L Quad 4, I paid a mechanic buddy to do it and he said it was a pain in the A**.

mikev08826
03-06-2005, 04:00 AM
"Hayes" repair manuals usually dont help that much...I have found.

Add your comment to this topic!