Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

TRD coil springs

pmbazus
03-05-2005, 06:04 PM
Ibought some Tacoma TRD coil springs from eBay. One has a white and red spot painted on it and one has a pink and blue spot painted on it. Which one goes on whatside or does it matter?

Flash75
03-05-2005, 08:38 PM
I've never seen handed coil springs and I don't think yours are, but I would want to know what the different colored dots mean. I know Toyota used to use different colors on differential pinion shaft ends for gear ratio identification. The first thought that comes to mind is that the colors may be used to identify spring rates. If that is the case you would need springs with matching color codes. I'm not saying they are wrong but I'm curious about what the different markings mean.

If they were my springs I would make the following checks before installing them. Check the free length of each spring, they should be the same or very close. Count the number of coils in each spring, they should be equal. Get a dial caliper or micrometer and measure the wire diameter of the springl. Measure the coil inside diameters, they should be the same. Inspect the springs carefully for any differences other than the different colored dots. If all checks are ok the springs should be ok. I always make these checks on any springs I replace just to be sure I'm getting the right parts.
It's easier to check before installing than to find after they are installed that your truck leans to one side because one of the springs is bad .

Clifton

Brian R.
03-06-2005, 12:42 AM
I would call up TRD and talk to someone who can tell you what those color codes mean.

http://www.trdusa.com/ContactNumbers.asp

ToyTundra
03-06-2005, 03:16 PM
I agree with Brian R.

My tundra has a longer passenger side coil from the factory (w/TRD package), so these may be made for a particular side as well

Flash75
03-07-2005, 07:51 PM
Here is a set of TRD springs and shocks for sale on eBay. The springs have the same markings you describe. I count about 10 free turns in the coils of each and they look to be very near the same length. The shocks also look the same length and appear identical. That said it's still best to call and see if TRD can tell you anything as Brian suggested.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33590&item=7958764654&rd=1

Here is a pair of stock struts from a Tundra, not TRD. Note each assembly is the same length and each spring has different markings. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33582&item=7958587852&rd=1

To confuse the issue I looked at the front coils on my 2004 two wheel drive truck and the springs have different markings. Left is white and pink, right is white and orange. I also noted several other components with different colored dots, I noted some red. blue, yellow and white marks.

I realize I haven't answered the original question but I believe the marks were made by quality contol workers and don't mean anything to us. As I said that's just my opinion.

Clifton

Add your comment to this topic!