Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Tacom headlight lens

abasile
03-05-2005, 02:07 PM
I am trying to remove the headlight lenses on my 98 Tacoma. They are fogged/scratched and I want to try restoring them with a plastic buffing kit.

I've removed the front grill and the clips that attach the lens to the headlight housing, but the lenses won't budge loose. More force? Are they glued on with an adhesive?

Thanks!

Flash75
03-06-2005, 07:16 AM
This information may help, although it's for a later truck it probably applies to your truck. I don't think the lens is supposed to come off, if you do get it off you may have leaks after re-assembly. I would remove the complete headlight or polish it in place.

http://fsm.afraid.org/
Click on volume II
Near the bottom you can open the pages for headlight components and removal
Repair Manual##Body##Headlight##Components
Repair Manual##Body##Headlight##Removal

Clifton

tacoma man.
03-07-2005, 06:32 PM
i polished my headlights in my 99 by hand. they were yellow and green looking, i used plastix, made by meguiers. they look like new now.

Shredhead
03-08-2005, 08:14 PM
Well maybe you can share with the rest of us where you got this plastix stuff??

tacoma man.
03-09-2005, 03:55 PM
i got it at advance auto parts. i think it was like 6 bucks. it removes oxidation and restores the plastic to new condition. i have used it on my camaro, tacoma, moms explorer, and my brothers trans am. it definatly works wonders. (oh, just leave your headlights in your truck, all of the crap is on the outside of the lense.) just takes a little elbow grease, or a buffing bonnet and a high speed drill. but the drill and buffing bonet will build up heat, its best to do it by hand.

tacoma man.
03-09-2005, 03:58 PM
here is a link to a site that tells about the stuff
http://www.goodspeedmotoring.com/subcat.php?man_id=12

chester9ll
05-13-2005, 05:54 PM
i used nail polish remover (w/alcohol) and 2500 grit sandpaper. if they arent that bad you dont even need the sandpaper. just use a cotton ball and the nail polish remover , you can do it with the lenses still on the truck. i spent about 20 min and they looked brand new

tacoma_dan
05-17-2005, 08:10 PM
Guys, You arent gonna believe this, i didnt believe it until i tried it. Take OFF (the stuff u spray on urself for mosquitos) spray it on the lens and wipe. The dirt, grime and yellow have will come right off with a 2-3 applications. It really works!

Add your comment to this topic!