Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Thermostat Installation on 91 S-10 w/ 2.8L V6

pureplayinj18
03-05-2005, 12:28 PM
i just joined this forum and was wondering if anyone knew where the thermostat would be located in my s-10 and if i could change it myself.... i have a little bit of mechanical skill and the willingness to do it... also dont have much money so i dont really wanna take it to the shop unless absolutely nessecary. already bought the thermostat and gasket... any help would be greatly appreciated.

BlazerLT
03-05-2005, 01:08 PM
Drain top rad hose.

remove thermostat housing

remove thermostat

remove old gasket

install new gasket,

install new thermostat

reinstall housing.

fill up cooling system

pureplayinj18
03-05-2005, 01:26 PM
thanks man it took me a lil while to find it but i found it and changed it and then i came in and saw u had replied... thanks for the help anyways....

BlazerLT
03-05-2005, 01:49 PM
No problem.

pureplayinj18
03-05-2005, 06:35 PM
now i got another problem....where one of the two bolts goes into the top of the engine for the radiator hose connection is stripped, shouldnt have kept messin with it.... any suggestions?

04 blazer
03-05-2005, 06:54 PM
now i got another problem....where one of the two bolts goes into the top of the engine for the radiator hose connection is stripped, shouldnt have kept messin with it.... any suggestions?
I'm assuming you are talking about the two bolts that hold the thermostat housing cover to the intake. I think your best bet is to repair it with a helicoil.

OverBoardProject
03-05-2005, 07:46 PM
I'm assuming you are talking about the two bolts that hold the thermostat housing cover to the intake. I think your best bet is to repair it with a helicoil.

I agree with you, however we both know that shavings, fron the work will fall into the engine, but someone new to wrenching wouldn't.

Place a damp rag down the thermostat hole to catch all the metal shavings, and it's an easy job

04 blazer
03-05-2005, 09:23 PM
I agree with you, however we both know that shavings, fron the work will fall into the engine, but someone new to wrenching wouldn't.

Place a damp rag down the thermostat hole to catch all the metal shavings, and it's an easy job
Very good point. Sometimes it's easy to omit the obvious. I am also assuming you (pureplayinj18) are comfortable using a drill and tap. If not you may want to get some help.

J-Ri
03-06-2005, 12:07 AM
We are talking about stripped threads, right? If it's just the head, leave it. If you ever replace it again, just use vice grips.

pureplayinj18
03-06-2005, 07:16 AM
We are talking about stripped threads, right? If it's just the head, leave it. If you ever replace it again, just use vice grips.

thanks for all yalls help... might try the helicoil idea... asked a friend last nite if he could help and he said hes done it b4 so it shouldnt be too big of a job

Cam1959
03-06-2005, 07:28 PM
i did that. book advises also using what i think was called high temp rtv self curing gasket goop to ensure good seal.

if bolt will hold about 20 lbs torque, you might get away with redoing job with this self curing bonding gel both sides of gasket and around bolt holes being sure to scrape metal surfaces clean 1st.

OverBoardProject
03-07-2005, 01:00 AM
this web page might help you out with your stripped problem housing bolt
http://www.hotrodders.com/t53113.html

pureplayinj18
03-08-2005, 12:34 AM
this web page might help you out with your stripped problem housing bolt
http://www.hotrodders.com/t53113.html

just a quick update... came home from work today and fixed the truck... didnt need to do anything to it... just worked the bolt in and out a few times and i guess it rethreaded itself cuz it goes in and out like new now.... no leaks and truck runs like it used to... now if only i could find some cheap mods for a lil help in performance id be happy... already got the k/n filter in it.... any other suggestions?

BlazerLT
03-08-2005, 12:35 AM
Do a search, this has been talked about many times.

Add your comment to this topic!