Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Maxima vs Camry

Green Machine 95
03-05-2005, 10:33 AM
Hey, I currently drive a 95' Olds Aurora.....The car gave me everything I ever wanted in a car, except I deliver pizza, and having a luxury v8 for delivering is very costly. I hate to love this damn car. I told my mechanic I was ready to bite the bullet and sell my baby, and asked him what was thee car to get. He said camry all the way, I asked him any year spec.? , he said every year the camry is a great car.

I asked him about maximas and he said they are a great reliable car too. I am looking to spend up to 8k...so I need to buy a 95-99 model from either a camry or max. I really like the looks on the maxima over the looks on a camry. What would you guys do, I know it has to be my choice, but how much more reliability will I get with a camry over a maxima.

Thanks guys

Brian R.
03-05-2005, 12:12 PM
I used to deliver pizzas with a 454 Chevelle. I feel for you.

No Maxima will deliver the mileage that a 4-cyl Camry can.

In general, Camrys don't perform as well as Maximas.

I doubt there is much difference between the two in reliability when they are new.

A used Maxima is most likely of the two to have been driven hard.

There are some Camrys in that time period that had problems with oil sludging in the engine if you didn't religiously change the oil.

Toyota acknowledges a potential sludge problem in the following engines:

Camry 4 cyl. Produced 8/96 - 7/01
Camry 6 cyl. Produced 8/96 - 7/01

See the sludge zone:
http://yotarepair.com/Sludge_Zone.html

Check, or better yet, have a mechanic check any Camry in this range for sludge deposits in the valve cover as best you can before you buy it. Also, check the PCV valve for function. I have heard that it is the PCV valve that cloggs up and doesn't pull blow-by and other contaminants from the engine good enough to prevent the sludge. There may be cylinder temperature issues that contribute also.

Insist that the owner provide you with receipts for all oil changes so you can verify that the oil was changed every 3k miles or less if he used dino oil. Synthetic oil would last alot longer than that, but I don't know the details.

Green Machine 95
03-05-2005, 12:32 PM
the problem is....I am picky, and going to a v8 to a 4cyl might cause me to be bored of my car, I know the best bet to save money is a 4cyl camry, how good are the v6 camrys?

I know the maxima is the better performer, but I drove my friends 93' v6 camry and that wasnt too bad.

What milage should I shoot for? I am new to looking for these type of cars and I know I will get a higher miles out of it.

Thank you so much for your help Brian.

Brian R.
03-05-2005, 12:36 PM
V6 Camrys have decent power and adequate handling. Drive one - yours is the only opinion that matters. You will have to live with it.

Get a car with less than 100k - It will still have alot of life left, assuming the scheduled maintenance has been done.

Green Machine 95
03-05-2005, 12:51 PM
I deceided I will get the camry! I always thought they were a little slow, but the v6 produces better numbers than the 95-99 maxima

I will hope to get a 97-2001 model, I wanna spend about 7-8k

Thanks again

Brian R.
03-05-2005, 01:44 PM
You're welcome

Blitzgray
03-06-2005, 09:32 AM
I know this is an already decided matter but I have to throw this in... When you compare a Camry to a Maxima It really depends on the year. Third generation Camry V6s(92' to 96') are just as powerfull as Maximas and with the right tires have an edge on handling. With a Camry you have a 4 cyl option. Maximas only come with V6s. I have a 92 V6 Camry with 215,000 miles on it that runs and drives like new. About a decade ago I had a 92 Maxima...The Camry wins all around

Green Machine 95
03-06-2005, 09:47 AM
yea my friends 93' was really nice, I want a 97-98 Camry LE/XLE, and maybe if I get a good deal on a 95-97 maxima ill take it...not sure though

The only thing I wish the camry had was a sunroof/moonroof......it says the moon roof is optional in the camrys...my question is, dont laugh, but I still dont know what the diff is between a sun roof and a moon roof is

I think the sun roof slides all the way open? heh

AznVR4
03-06-2005, 01:17 PM
yea my friends 93' was really nice, I want a 97-98 Camry LE/XLE, and maybe if I get a good deal on a 95-97 maxima ill take it...not sure though

The only thing I wish the camry had was a sunroof/moonroof......it says the moon roof is optional in the camrys...my question is, dont laugh, but I still dont know what the diff is between a sun roof and a moon roof is

I think the sun roof slides all the way open? heh

moon roof are privacy glass (tinted) and sunroof is just a regular glass. its like it's name Sun Roof = Light Moon Roof = Dark

Brian R.
03-06-2005, 01:32 PM
Actually, the truth is that sun roofs are smaller than moon roofs. The "moon" roofs are large enough so that even a really large guy can stand up in them and drop his pants.

AznVR4
03-06-2005, 02:07 PM
Actually, the truth is that sun roofs are smaller than moon roofs. The "moon" roofs are large enough so that even a really large guy can stand up in them and drop his pants.

hmm i didn't know that, or maybe i never realized it

Green Machine 95
03-07-2005, 01:16 PM

thats all me ha

I am going to check out some guys 99' v6 LE with 86k, he is asking 7,400

Wish me luck

sixesnsevens
03-07-2005, 02:40 PM
Camry has higher reliability scores, but Maxima is more athletic. Oldmobile, a bona-fide sled.

Brian R.
03-07-2005, 04:39 PM
hmm i didn't know that, or maybe i never realized it

Don't get serious on me...

Green Machine 95
03-07-2005, 07:58 PM
I am now a Camry owner 8), I loved the ride, and my mechanic said the car looked great, I got him down to 7k, doesnt have an owners manual, I guess ill try Ebay

thanks for all of your help!!!

Brian R.
03-07-2005, 08:24 PM
You should be able to get an owner's manual here:

http://techinfo.toyota.com/public/main/mdc.html

AznVR4
03-07-2005, 08:32 PM
Don't get serious on me...

lol

and congrats greenmachine.

ballenm04
03-09-2005, 11:16 PM
I drive a 97 camry and it is just about to hit 150,000 mi and it is acting like it is just breaking in. it is a 15 gal tank and I can easily do 400 mi on a tank. It never gives me any problems as long as I keep up with basic maint. like oil, tran, filter and so on. I would highly recomend the camry for the year range that you are looking into. Now if you were to go with the newer style then I would stand in the middle cause I like them both and nissan has done a great job with the reliability of the maxima. but then again the camry has just gotten even better. My stepmom has the 2003 xle camry and it drives better than a dream. so once again I say camry.

Green Machine 95
03-09-2005, 11:50 PM
how often should I change the trans fluid.....in the Auroras, you really arnt supposed to change it much, I have no idea why....

ballenm04
03-10-2005, 08:18 AM
25k-30k mi

Add your comment to this topic!