Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

crank pulley removal

RickDaTuner
03-23-2002, 09:56 PM
is ther some special trick to taking this thing of is it just a straight foward thing ive tried everything man its making me mad, ive tei a strong bar and a 250 psi impactgun and still no go and yes i was using the gun reversde, can some one tel me how to do it, some one told me that Honda uses a special tool to take it off oh yeah this is on d16z6 engine

praxis
03-25-2002, 09:39 AM
You are going to have to follow the steps of 'timing belt and sprockets removal. There is a crankshaft sprocket that is part of the timing pulleys. Don't loose the woodruf key in this sprocket!

If you remove the flywheel inspection cover...you can keep the the crankshaft pulley from turning by having an assistant hold a large screwdriver/pry bar wedged in the ring gear teeth of the flywheel. Then loosen the pulley-to-crankshaft bolt with a socket & breaker bar....now slip the pulley off the crankshaft.

90CRXZCSi
03-25-2002, 11:51 AM
Yea i would also like to know how to do it. I guess i just need to know if the bolt inside the pulley is a reverse thread. A guy from honda told me it is so im assuming he's right meaning you have to turn it to the right to get it out.:confused:
P.S. Sorry about the double post.:(

89ssgti
03-25-2002, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by 90CRXZCSi
Yea i would also like to know how to do it. I guess i just need to know if the bolt inside the pulley is a reverse thread. A guy from honda told me it is so im assuming he's right meaning you have to turn it to the right to get it out.:confused:
P.S. Sorry about the double post.:(
not true,it goes like every normal bolts,but they are a pain in the ass to take out sometimes,try holding the flywheel with a large screwdriver and use a long wrench with a bar.

RickDaTuner
03-25-2002, 04:27 PM
oky so ive tried all those thing its definitely a not a reverse thread im just wondering if the outer pulley the one that runs the ac needs a special tool to remove it and if that whats preventing the bolt from comming out?

mike187
03-25-2002, 04:35 PM
I just did my timing belt on my honda civic and had the same problem the bolt was so tight that the air wrench wouldn't even take it off. what I did was took out the # 1 spark plug and got some 3/8 or 1/2 inch rope about 4-5 feet long and stuffed it into the cylinder and turned the engine until the piston came up and stopped cause of the rope and so the engine will not turn over and took a torque bar and 2 ft. peice of pipe for it to come loose. The bolt turns normal as any other counter clock wise to remove . I did this to a civic 1.5L and everything still works fine.
my buddy also suggested putting heat on it but it is bad for the seals.

ivymike1031
03-26-2002, 08:22 AM
on the more recent D16 engines, there is a hexagonal recess in the crank nose pulley for the purpose of holding the crankshaft stationary while loosening the crank nose bolt. Honda sells a special tool for it, of course ($150), but the way I did it was to buy a very large nut that fit snugly in the recess, and then a wrench that would fit over the nut. The nuts were about $6 for a pack of 5 (from http://www.mcmaster.com) and the big wrench was $30 from napa. Then I just used my breaker bar with a cheater bar on it to get the bolt free, while holding the crank w/ the aforementioned tool.

The service manual doesn't say to do it, but I recommend spending the extra $8 to get a new crank nose bolt from Honda to replace the one you take out (just in case it is getting weak after all the abuse).

Add your comment to this topic!