Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Cig Lighter Issue?!?!?!

scottneedsadvice
03-04-2005, 10:49 PM
Hi all,

I seem to have a starnge problem with my cigarette Lighter.

It only seems to get hot enough to actually light a cigarette when the
vehicle is running?!?!
When I push the plunger in and the vehicle is not running, it will only either blacken my cigarette or may cause a bit of smoke. But it won't light the cigarette?!?!?

Any ideas as to why this is?

Also, my vehicle has been shutting off while I'm driving it for no apparent reason. Its happend about 3 or 4 times now. I recently changed the distributor cap, wires and plugs hope this would fix the problem but it happend again last week?!?!?!

Hope someone has some Idea why this is happening.

SpitAndDirt
03-05-2005, 03:45 AM
Your year, make, model, and engine size would help everyone else out greatly. If you have a 95 or older truck, I would look into the ignition module or pick-up coil going bad. The module can be tested for free and most auto parts stores, and the pick-up coil is a simple continuity check done with an ohm meter. Second, make sure your battery connections are absolutely clean and free of corrosion. -Chris

scottneedsadvice
03-05-2005, 01:07 PM
Sorry, I forgot to add those.

Its a 1994 Chev, 1500, 6 cyl, 4.3 ltr

I don't see any problems with the lighter itself but for some reason
it will only work when the vehicle is running. It used to work when the vehicle was off like all others. As I said it may blacken my cigarette or cause a little bit of smoke, but it won't light.?!?!?

LOUD-ASS-SIERRA
01-14-2006, 11:50 AM
Sorry, I forgot to add those.

Its a 1994 Chev, 1500, 6 cyl, 4.3 ltr

I don't see any problems with the lighter itself but for some reason
it will only work when the vehicle is running. It used to work when the vehicle was off like all others. As I said it may blacken my cigarette or cause a little bit of smoke, but it won't light.?!?!?

It's obviously a bad battery or bad alternator. I had a bad alternator last winter and it shook and rattled. This also might be why your lighter is going half-ass on you. It could possibly be that it is simply not connected right. I took off some pieces last year for paint and did not put the lighter back on right. In my case it simply did not give any charge yet yours might be giving your half if it's not put on right. I really doubt thats your problem though stating your truck has been dying. Try the alternator or battery.

Mr. Smith
01-14-2006, 08:37 PM
Hi all,

I seem to have a starnge problem with my cigarette Lighter.

It only seems to get hot enough to actually light a cigarette when the
vehicle is running?!?!
When I push the plunger in and the vehicle is not running, it will only either blacken my cigarette or may cause a bit of smoke. But it won't light the cigarette?!?!?

Any ideas as to why this is?

Also, my vehicle has been shutting off while I'm driving it for no apparent reason. Its happend about 3 or 4 times now. I recently changed the distributor cap, wires and plugs hope this would fix the problem but it happend again last week?!?!?!

Hope someone has some Idea why this is happening.

Change the coil assembly of the lighter. The wire inside is getting old and it take many more amps than new thus the reason it works when vehicle runs.

Add your comment to this topic!