Page updated on 11-22-2017

99 Cougar Brakes Question

*Starr*
03-04-2005, 07:57 PM
I got my brakes fixed today but now when I drive the car I have to push the brake pedal practically down to the floor to get the car to stop. The mechanic gave me some mumbo jumbo about how I should just try driving through the weekend and if the pedal doesn't firm up then to bring it back Monday. He said this was normal in cars like cougars and mustangs when the brakes are fixed cuz of their abs system. Before I got the brakes fixed my brake pedal was tight. This doesn't seem right to me but I'm not too car savvy. Is the pedal supposed to be so loose after getting them fixed and will it firm up like he said?

beyondloadedSE
03-05-2005, 04:41 PM
He fed you a crapload of $hit. Sounds like there is still air in the brake lines. If anything, they should be even tighter now that (im assuming) new pads are on the car.

low
03-14-2005, 04:11 PM
He fed you a crapload of $hit. Sounds like there is still air in the brake lines. If anything, they should be even tighter now that (im assuming) new pads are on the car.
This is absolutly correct there is no way that the brakes should be that way you need to bleed your breaks ASAP. Dont pay him any more money he obviously doesnt know what he is doing! You might even consider doing it yourself or taking it to some one else

robbied
04-22-2005, 01:12 PM
When you say that you had your breaks fixed I am going to assume you mean changed padsÖ If that is the case you donít need to bleed them because the lines were never opened up. That would be a waste of time.

1999cougar
06-03-2005, 03:41 PM
This is absolutly correct there is no way that the brakes should be that way you need to bleed your breaks ASAP. Dont pay him any more money he obviously doesnt know what he is doing! You might even consider doing it yourself or taking it to some one else

yea i had the same problem but any time you change out pads you compress the piston back down to fit it back the rotor. so the brakes have to be pumped a little to get them back to where they were. my were a little loose for a day or two then it was fine. it is obvious that u dont know.

jmr898
06-09-2005, 09:45 AM
yea i had the same problem but any time you change out pads you compress the piston back down to fit it back the rotor. so the brakes have to be pumped a little to get them back to where they were. my were a little loose for a day or two then it was fine. it is obvious that u dont know.

I would like to add that you are correct about compressing the piston in the caliper, and that you need to pump the brake pedal to get the new pads to conform to the rotor, BUT if in know way should take a Day or two too tighten up. It is obvious you don't know

Because being that the brake system is a hydraulic system, and with the information that the system wasn't opened, it should take no more then 2-3 pumps of the brakes to get them firm again.
If it is takes a DAY or TWO then you might have an issue, but in know way is that normal.

9 Year ASE certified (Honda/Acura & Toyota Tech)

Add your comment to this topic!