Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

88 s-10 no start

jl1234567890
03-04-2005, 09:52 AM
i just bought a 88 s-10 for $1000. it has a 2.5l 5spd.has 204 000km. it was of a friend and no it was really well taken care off oil was changed every 4000km and anything that was wrong was replaced with new parts. i was dirving it home 1 day and it jus cut out. but, it ran like a champ before that, just like new. the fuel pump, filter all hoses are new. replaced the mod chip in the distrubuter. tested the electrical and all came out fine. when i try to start it will fire up and even maybe start for a few seconds but will bog down and stall. that nite i ran out of gas rite at the gas station, filled it up and it ran fine for 20min. i have tried everything and only think 1 more thing, water in the gas tank had gotten thru my fuel system. i am going to pour water evaperator in the tank and replace the spark plugs and wires. i am out of all ideas. please help

racinjason
03-04-2005, 11:12 AM
how does your air filter look that could be a problem

injectors/carb could need a cleaning

jackass#1
03-04-2005, 05:43 PM
ckeckyour fuel pressure, timing, let us know how it is after you do plugs cap and rotor.

zeeb
03-05-2005, 08:11 AM
You said you ran it out of gas? There is a chance that you wiped out the new fuel pump. The in tank pumps use the fuel to cool them, I've heard it isn't even reccomended to get below 1/4 tank. Along with other things, check the pump pressure and see if it is low, (or none).

jl1234567890
03-07-2005, 09:45 AM
how does your air filter look that could be a problem

injectors/carb could need a cleaning

Air filter is brand new, injectors are working good, fuel pump works well took the filter off a the top and turn the key on and the gas pumped at least 7 inches..so that works.. its very well getting gas. the fuel pressure and timeing is fine. i had jus replaced teh plugs, wires and distributor cap, which helped alot. this is why i am posting my problem because i have checked prety much everything that can be checked. maybe its some kind of electrical? but where?? thanks for the info

Jerry80871852
03-07-2005, 08:12 PM
You said you ran it out of gas? There is a chance that you wiped out the new fuel pump. The in tank pumps use the fuel to cool them, I've heard it isn't even reccomended to get below 1/4 tank. Along with other things, check the pump pressure and see if it is low, (or none).

A friend of mine who is a mechanic told me that the problems with so many fuel pumps going out is to many people run their gas tanks to low to many times.

With a bit over 136,000 I have had one fuel pump go out, and I hardly ever let it get below 1/4 of a tank.

But I known a fellow who had a 96 or 98 Chevy pickup that replace 8 fuel pumps, he said he never let his get below 1/4 a tank.

Makes one wonder.

I suppose the in tank fuel pump may be safer, but sure is a lot more trouble to change!

Jerry

Add your comment to this topic!