Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Worst Modelling Accidents

phase5
03-04-2005, 08:08 AM
After talking to robrex abouta model he painted then dropped it
and me getting supperglue fogging after finishing a car was disaster at its best
has any one got a good story on a modelling disaster

proosen
03-04-2005, 09:26 AM
This is (http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=2240562&goto=2240562) the worst accident I ever had with a model. Infact it's not just one misshap, it's several and the story isn't finished yet as I chipped the paint and maybe has to start over again :banghead:

Niclas

mickbench
03-04-2005, 09:44 AM
Impreza Mica Blue - Got the final coat on, left it to gas out only to then find the rear wing doesn't fit - glued it together wrong.. Doh. Also went to clear the mica blue, put two coats of mist on, and then a final wet, too wet - clear burnt the edges. Have had to strip the entire body now, and it's now only got a new coat of primer on it.

Also - Knocked over a brand new bottle of Microcale Plastic weld, ruined my workplace mat, ruler, brushes and a roll of masking tape. All in the bin..!! Thankfully none on the model I was working on. Same Impreza..!!

Ill fated model..!!

tardster
03-04-2005, 09:48 AM
My worst disaster was when I upset my wife once. She went over to where I had my nascar models (A Richard Petty Charger, Rusty's MGD Pontiac, Mark Martins Foldgers T-Bird etc. etc.) and destroyed every one of them. I couldnt do anything but sit there and watch as she grabbed each one twisting them, watching all the little piece break and fall on the floor. Then when I thougth she was done she started stomping on all of the broken pieces on the floor to make sure I couldnt fix them...

Sticky Fingers
03-04-2005, 10:10 AM
My worst disaster was when I upset my wife once. She went over to where I had my nascar models (A Richard Petty Charger, Rusty's MGD Pontiac, Mark Martins Foldgers T-Bird etc. etc.) and destroyed every one of them. I couldnt do anything but sit there and watch as she grabbed each one twisting them, watching all the little piece break and fall on the floor. Then when I thougth she was done she started stomping on all of the broken pieces on the floor to make sure I couldnt fix them...

:eek: That's one mad wife you have there! Ever thought of going solo?

Well, I've only made two models so far but I've dropped both of them in the latter stages. Luckily on those two occasions the pieces which fell off were able to be glued back on with no glaring damage. I'm imagining there's worse to come :banghead:

willster127
03-04-2005, 10:20 AM
MY worst would be spilling some laquer thinner onto a Toyota TS-020 that I had just finished polishing the body on. It was my best paint job ever and the windows were not in so the thinner ruined not only the paint but the interior as well, that one will probably never get finished, I can't even bear to open the box anymore!

Technoman
03-04-2005, 11:32 AM

How come the word "EX" is completely missing from this story??

jswillmon
03-04-2005, 12:03 PM
I seem pretty prone to dropping models right after i put the final coat of paint on them. I've got 2 in the dip right now.

willimo
03-04-2005, 12:12 PM
This was my worst accident to date. (http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=199294&page=10&pp=15)

SupaMan89T
03-04-2005, 03:27 PM
This was my worst accident to date. (http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=199294&page=10&pp=15)
willimo that happened on my rx-7 but just with tape and i tryed to get it off with nail polish remover and it dulled the clear so i wet sanded it with 2000 sprayed it and got a better look than before it was :screwy: but thats my worst ever...........yet :lol2:

99civichic
03-04-2005, 04:10 PM
It's a tie I think...

1) My freshly painted 98 Corvette convertible fell off the stand....onto my cat's bed. Location, location. I was able to get most of the fur out though!

2) Left the lamp on my desk and melted the roof of my '68 Firebird. Turned it into a convertible.

http://files.automotiveforums.com/gallery/watermark.php?file=/502/238578mistakes.JPG

willimo
03-04-2005, 04:15 PM
Nice save! So you're still building? You should keep us up to date.

99civichic
03-04-2005, 04:27 PM
Nice save! So you're still building? You should keep us up to date.

I have 10 hours of homework every day. I've exclusively set aside Friday nights as my only build nights, so I should have pretty good progress tonight. I tend to work pretty fast. The goal for tonight is to paint and assemble the engine, interior and suspension of the Trans Am, and lay the first color coats. (I snuck some time in to primer it earlier this week) If I have time, I'll do the windows too.

Alfa 147
03-04-2005, 05:38 PM
my worst accident was when i superglue upside down a calsonic skyline to my workbench...and when i dropped my freshly painted 350z on my carpet...dammnnn :banghead:

aN4rK1
03-04-2005, 05:47 PM
How come the word "EX" is completely missing from this story??
:rofl: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :rofl:
oh wait.....hes serious.... :sly:

My worst wasnt to bad, not been modelling for very long and iam EXTRA carefull. What happend was i had just finished painted my supra. I was attaching the hood. I didnt notice but there was a dab of super glue. So the hood slipped outta my hand and ofcourse fell upside down on the bad of glue. The sad sad part was, my table that i work on is black and the uderside of the hood i had painted black. So when it fell i didnt think anything of it i think i was just test fitting and was about to put it down, so i went to work on sumthing else and came back to hood. 1st, i spent 10 mins looking for it cuz the black from the hood on the black of the table camoflauged it. Then after i finally see it, i went to grab it and ofcourse it doesnt move lol. A well. You live you learn

Feint Motion
03-04-2005, 06:07 PM
When a hot piece of styrene got me right in the eye, at 38,000 RPM.

micaman68
03-04-2005, 06:13 PM
As i was coming in the house just after painting my Honda Accord JACCS i dropped it on the carpet floor and i have a cat. have yet strip it to lazy.

bilinvic
03-04-2005, 06:21 PM
My worst disaster was when I upset my wife once. She went over to where I had my nascar models and destroyed every one of them. Then when I thougth she was done she started stomping on all of the broken pieces on the floor to make sure I couldnt fix them...

Man...all I can say is instant divorce...Yikes!!!

bilinvic
03-04-2005, 06:28 PM
Funny how this thread had just started. Not just even 15 minutes ago, I was applying some carbon fibre to my Studio 27 BAR 006 body and it slipped from my hands and fell two inches to my desk...of course a chunk of resin snapped off. I should add that the white paint job was perfect and 95% of the decals are applied to the body. Did I swear? You bet. I am still extremely pissed. I went out for a cigar and after coming back into the house, my girlfriend was shocked how angry I was and felt so bad for me that she gave me a BJ right then and there. I know this is a little obscene for this forum, but it helped me calm down!!!!
This is a setback, but I should be able to fix this problem...I hope!

aN4rK1
03-04-2005, 06:39 PM
...my girlfriend was shocked how angry I was and felt so bad for me that she gave me a BJ right then and there.
ummmm...lol

tonioseven
03-04-2005, 07:04 PM
Same thing here.:(

ImolaEK
03-04-2005, 07:39 PM
my girlfriend was shocked how angry I was and felt so bad for me that she gave me a BJ right then and there. I know this is a little obscene for this forum, but it helped me calm down!!!!
This is a setback, but I should be able to fix this problem...I hope!

Wow...

My worst accident was pretty easy to fix but pretty bad. It happend with my Black Integra model. I had just finished polishing the body and was ready to do the suspension for the rear right wheel. I went to put some crazy glue on the wheel mount and by mistake, the place where i had my foot rested on somehow made me slip and i put a big glob of Loctite crazy glue on the rear right quarter panel. All i had to do is wetsand and spray another coat of black and clear it alll over again to start he polishing over on that part:) Luckily there was no chemical reactions and the paint still glows on that car:)

CamaroSSBoy346
03-04-2005, 07:43 PM
okay..heres mine:

-Spray painting a model, and having the wind knock it off its supprt....
-Putting a body (that was just painted) too close to a heat lamp and melting it..
-Having a superglue bottle explode all over the freshly painted body...

MidMazar
03-04-2005, 09:27 PM
using a hair dryer to speed up the drying of a cleaned model ready to be primed (360 modena) well next thing i see is the pillars are so bent, so it went back in the closet never to be seen again or maybe, the other accident was when i superglued my fingers together, had to cut them to get them seperated. LOL

Macdaddy4738
03-05-2005, 12:35 AM

thats when you go into her jewlery box and makeup and

A. Flush the makeup down the tolite
B. Flush the jewlery

or

C. Sell the jewlery on Ebay, use the cash to buy new car models and they used the makeup (nail polish) to paint them. :icon16:

RallyRaider
03-05-2005, 04:27 AM
Certain posts in this thread highlight the differences between wives and girlfriends... :lol:

phase5
03-05-2005, 05:14 AM
a while agon i painted the best paint i have ever done on the Bob Glidden Thunderbird even masked and painted the pin stripes. Put on the 3rd shell of book case thinking it was safe.A nd having a new puppy it decided it had a new red play toy. Lets say nice chssis but no body and the puppy did manage to grow up

robrex
03-05-2005, 03:35 PM
Thanks for the laughs folks! I just spent 10 minutes reading through the thread and chuckling!

Bobble83
03-05-2005, 07:36 PM
Well were do i start :lol2:

Well when i was about 14 i built a model of a Jolly Green Giant helicopter. Took me weeks to build it. All the detail, the figures, the lot. When it was done I got some fishine line, the realy clear stuff and hung it from the ceiling..........5 minuites later,..............AHHHHHHHHHHHH! :banghead: :crying: :crying: :banghead:

Oh and the real piss-taker was the Capri. The one in my photo's in my finnished projects thred is No. 2. I used Humbroll spray paint (DON'T USE THIS STUFF IT IS CRAP AND THE GUY WHO INVENTED IT IS THE SPAWN OF SATAN HIMSELF!) One coat good....next coat cracked up! Bugger! So i chucked it in a bucket of turpentine........alredy done the inside hadn't I.....got it lookin well pukka ......WASTE OF BL00DY TIME THAT WAS! didn't know plastic + turps = Lots of bits of Capri body floating about in bucket when you come back an hour later.....lots of LITTLE bits that is! I was deverstated. Funny realy bilinvic coz i got a BJ as well after that! So it wasn't just the paint job that sucked! :evillol:

mickbench
03-05-2005, 07:50 PM
Erm..!! Well if mistakes with models is how to get a BJ, then this is what I've been doing wrong.. Or what am I waiting for.. My Impreza is full of mishaps.. I should be happy in bed tonight.. Oh yeah..!!

There was me thinking it was flowers and lovely gifts to woo such girls..!! When all it takes is a model mishap.

:cwm27:

phase5
03-07-2005, 04:58 AM
well it happened started a thred on bad accidents and what happen i stuff up my 350z fitting the bloody window in. it would fit properly and glue seaped between the body and glass now hve glue on windscreen and paint. and no matter what i did it got worse so i'll leave it alone for a while before i jump on it

KTem
03-07-2005, 08:35 AM
My worst moment was when I put terpentine on clear part...
It cracked all over...and I had already painted most of it.

Yes, I know it's stupid.

Sigmaman
03-07-2005, 09:54 PM
Dropping freshly painted bodies on grass or paved driveways would be my favorite.

superxxx
03-08-2005, 02:57 AM
my worst experience, which is about 15 years ago, when I was a kid, I bought a Tamiya 1/24 Starlet kit, after I spray the paint on the body, I did put it in my toaster to make it dry fast, finally the body melt like ice-cream.

Add your comment to this topic!