Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

4 wheel drive noise in 4 HI. What's normal?

airlopez1
03-03-2005, 10:20 AM
Hello...I'm new to the forum. I have a 2002 Silverado 1500 Z-71.
In 4 wheel drive 4 HI, I can hear a humming/rubbing noise from the front end. Not real loud, but enough to get my attention. It happens at around 25 mph, and just as I'm coming to a stop. This is on the street.....going straight, not while turning. I only engage the 4 HI during street driving on a straight line drive just to "exersise" the gears and transfere case. I don't notice it on the dirt 'cause of trial noise levels. All fliud levels are normal in transfere case and axles.

How much noise is normal during 4 wheel drive operations? Any history of problems for this one from Chevy?
Thanks

bowtieguy
03-03-2005, 01:20 PM
i cant speak for every one else but i have the exact same truck and no noise at all in 4 low or high. you dont drive engaged on dry pavement do you? if you want to "exercise" your transfer case and gears do it off road or at least on wet pavement.

airjam18
03-03-2005, 02:57 PM
I'd have to agree with bowtieguy.....I'm fairly new to the world of trucks but I've always been told NEVER to engage 4WD on dry pavement....I could be wrong....when I was test driving Z71's I engaged 4HI in a dry parking lot while turning...(The salesman reccomended it as he was trying to show how the 4WD was gripping the street, I don't think he really knew what the hell he was doin)...It sounded horrible so i put it back in 2Wd and since then I've never gone 4hi/4lo on pavement unless its really slick...

silveradoking
03-03-2005, 04:57 PM
You are right guys...kind of....On these trucks you should never drive them on dry pavement, even on any type of pavement....when you do it makes a humming kind of noise....these 4 wheel systems are mean't to be driven off road, or dirt, or snow or such...and not on any flat surface...kind sucks, but...Also, if you get the humming noise and YOU ARE driving on some snow or dirt roads or such, the you will have to fork over about $300 beans to fix it....The problem is in the front axle, and these trucks are famous for such failing parts....Sorry, I can't remember what the part is called....

Silverado Brethern
03-03-2005, 06:53 PM
umm...how is the problem in the front axle?...none of these trucks even have a front axle :screwy: ? anywho, it will not ruin ur 4wd to run it on pavement, just dont make any kind of habit of it, and i would say dont do it much if ever in 4-LO cuz you may wear the gears out quickly, mine wont go much over 40 in 4lo. Also the humming sound is very normal on most any truck, dont know of any truck that doesnt make some sort of humming noise while rolling in 4wd. But for those that are bothered by the sound or want in gone for w/e reason i have the fix, turn the radio up a lil more!

99redsilverado
03-03-2005, 08:52 PM
you may have a problem, you may not.....it does not hurt our 4wd systems at all to run em on dry pavement, unless you run it VERY hard...and most of the time youll break a cv axle before you do any real damage.....if u run it hard. you may just have a loud front diff, i say dont worry about it unless it gets any louder or changes and starts clunking or anything....

04Silverado-guy
03-03-2005, 09:27 PM
I wouldn't worry about it to much unless (like 99redsilverado said) it starts making a louder noise or vibrations. And to Silverado Brethern why would you run over 40 mph in 4LO, I have always heard you should never run over 25 in 4LO, any faster and you would do major damage to the transfercase, 4LO is for deep snow, thick mud, and sand.

Silverado Brethern
03-03-2005, 10:00 PM
Well to be quite honest i was in a feild (dunno who's) and got stuck so i was in a hurry to get outta there and 4HI got me no where. I havent had any issues at all with my 4wd system and i thrash the truck pretty bad.

04Silverado-guy
03-04-2005, 03:30 PM
Makes sense Silverado Brethern, if I was in your position I would have gone as fast as I could too. And I too have not had any problems with my 4 wheel system on my 1/2 ton silverado.

kenny-1907
03-04-2005, 08:44 PM
Some noise is fine just as long as it is not really loud as some other people have already said. I had a 96 sierra that had a slight hum , my 2000 barely makes any noise at all and the 88 K1500 jimmy i had was a pig, EVERYTHING made noise in that thing lol. Probably did not help much with the 3 JL 12W6's @ 131 db pounding all the screws loose :biggrin:

mjgjr72
03-05-2005, 12:32 AM
umm...how is the problem in the front axle?...none of these trucks even have a front axle :screwy:
then why does my manual have a front drive axle section, i must have got a special model, i think it is the 4 wheel drive edition, because mine has two front drive axles that connect the hubs to the output axle shafts that go into the front differential carrier. so actually i have 4 axles in the front of mine.

silveradoking
03-05-2005, 12:41 AM
Sorry, guys...I APOLIGIZE I DID NOT MEAN TO SAY FRONT AXLE. I MEAN'T TO SAY FRONT DIFFERENTAIL. Are yo happy now? Jokes!There is a piece in the FRONT DIFFERENTIAL, that makes the trucks go huummmmmmm hummm...I will look it up and report back, i can't remember what it is called...it is a very common piece that goes, a lot of trucks need it changed, it is another GM bull. If you drive on pavement or any less rugged surface, I can gaurantee that you will be having the humming...change the piece and no more humming.... i will look it up and tell you what it is called and you can ask the stealership about it....

Silverado Brethern
03-05-2005, 01:58 AM
**There is no chevy truck 1988' to present that has a front axle of any kind. Older ones had a floor selector to engauge power to the front differential but there is no axle of any kind up there.

mjgjr72
03-05-2005, 11:10 AM
**There is no chevy truck 1988' to present that has a front axle of any kind. Older ones had a floor selector to engauge power to the front differential but there is no axle of any kind up there.
sorry but the front cv shafts are classifide as drive axles, and the front diff assembly has two axles in it same as the rear they are shorter for the ifs but they are still axle shafts, they are in the front of all chevy ifs 4wd models, the front diff carrier has an aluminum axle shaft tube bolted on it to hold the longer axle shaft, you know the one with the front drive axle lock actuator on it that ingages the right front axle when it gets a signal from the floor selector or the push button on the dash for 4 hi or 4 low, there are two axle seals and axle bearings in the front diff assembly, why would they call them axle seals, axle bearings or an axle shaft tube if they did not have axles. why would they call the tools used to install and remove them j 29369-1 axle tube bearing and seal remover, j 36600 axle tube seal installer, j 36609 axle tube bearing installer?

mjgjr72
03-05-2005, 11:21 AM
Sorry, guys...I APOLIGIZE I DID NOT MEAN TO SAY FRONT AXLE. I MEAN'T TO SAY FRONT DIFFERENTAIL.

it is an axle differential assembly, front or rear it does the same thing it hold two axle shafts and a differential unit, open, limited slip or locker, solid or independent front suspention it is still an axle differential assembly.

airlopez1
03-05-2005, 04:12 PM
Gentlemen, thanks for all your inputs! I don't believe any harm comes out of running your 4 wheel drive 4 HI system on drive pavement as long as you don't turn....a straight shot. As long as a little noise is all right, I'm OK. Just wanted a second opinion! I love my 2002 Z-71....wish all who posted felt the same. For all the trucks produced....not all are perfect..including mine. Happy driving....how high can gas prices go?

Mike

korbs
03-11-2005, 12:57 AM
In 4 wheel drive 4 HI, I can hear a humming/rubbing noise from the front end. Not real loud, but enough to get my attention. It happens at around 25 mph, and just as I'm coming to a stop. This is on the street.....going straight, not while turning. I only engage the 4 HI during street driving on a straight line drive just to "exersise" the gears and transfere case. I don't notice it on the dirt 'cause of trial noise levels. All fliud levels are normal in transfere case and axles.

How much noise is normal during 4 wheel drive operations? Any history of problems for this one from Chevy?
Thanks
i work at a gm dealer. rec. changing front carrier case fluid with syn. fluid we been replacing a lot of front pinion bearings. you get beter flow with syn. fluild putting less wear on this bearing. other then that these trucks run fairly loud in 4 dig. Just listen for abnormal noise

jumpingjack66
03-12-2005, 08:21 PM

Thanks

Your truck is three years old it will make drivetrain noise..Welcome to the forum...Wait till it gets five years old youll think your driving a chainsaw...mine is a manual tranny so i get gear noise from clutch,transaxil,tranny, front diff, and rear locker...I sound like a ice cream truck going down the road...jj

silveradoking
03-12-2005, 09:48 PM
he-he...that's funny...Let's see mine is 2001, making it 4 years old...so one more year to full chainsaw effect....

B Road
03-14-2005, 11:36 AM
Don't know if this will help you, but I just bought a 04 Silverado 4X4, l500,5.3 eng, ext cab, and it makes a low hummimg noise in 4 wheel high when going straight and under a load. I drove two other 04's and one 05 and they all did the same thing. I talked to two other owners who own nothing but Silverado's and they both told me it was normal. Hope it helps, but if it doesn't just turn your radio up a little!!

intel_guy
12-20-2005, 03:26 PM
Mine makes a humming noise in 4HI too, but only when I hit the gas. As soon as I let go of the pedal the noise stops. It engages 4WD with no noise/clunk at all.

ZR800
12-21-2005, 11:29 AM
My 2005 2500HD Crew Cab Duramax was just in for this last week. They tightened some differential bolts that weren't to spec they said, and it seems to have helped. I was feeling excessive vibration and loud noise while under accelleration at speeds up to 60. I was betting it was the left front axle.

Many refer to the front axels as half shafts.

You can excersise your 4x4 on dry pavement, but should be limited to straight line. When in 4x4 and turning, the front wheels will actually "skip" a little as it is true 4x4, the front wheels have to make the same revoltion, so turning a corner the inside wheel is trying to travel less of a distance than the outside while both are trying to make the same revolution. Not sure if I am explaining this right. Doing this on dry pavement causes a lot of stress (as you can see/feel if you have ever forgot it was in and tried to make a turn on dry pavement).

twomorestrokes
12-21-2005, 11:53 AM
You guys are wasting too much time jumping on him for using the term "front axle". Everyone knows what he means, and I use the term myself. We are all familiar with the actual setup. So it's missing the tubes off the differential. Other than that, same purpose...get over it.

As far as noise goes, you are going to hear more on dry pavement from the extra bind. Even worse if all of the tires aren't exactly the same air pressure or wear (different overall circumference). True, there are a lot of issues with half ton differentials but this case is probably normal. As far as whether or not dry pavement use will hurt, it will. Probably not right away, but the added unnecessary drag accelerated the driveline wear, so why do it? There is a big difference in AWD and 4WD. There is certainly no need to "exercise" the gears on a regular interval. If you feel the need to use 4wd periodically (as I do) find something slippery, gooey or sandy. Chances are good that it will be a whole lot more fun than dry pavement. :naughty:

mohaekofiowa
01-18-2008, 10:13 PM
i have a 2005 sierra it makes terrible growling sound in auto and 4 hi. took into dealership and they said it was pinion gears etc. anyway they put new parts on and now it make the growling sound not only in auto, 4hi but also in 2 hi. they told me its normal but i owned a 2000 silverado and a 2004 tahoe and neither of these made a noise like this. any ideas the garage seems to have no idea

Chevylove
04-09-2013, 07:27 PM
On the topic of noise to the 4 wheel drive.. I had a stereo system installed and the guy knocked it into 4 HI I drove home with it that way about 3 mi before i figured it out, just wondering how much damage this could have caused me.

j cAT
04-10-2013, 09:10 PM
On the topic of noise to the 4 wheel drive.. I had a stereo system installed and the guy knocked it into 4 HI I drove home with it that way about 3 mi before i figured it out, just wondering how much damage this could have caused me.

probably not a lot. check the transfercase fluid to be blue if dark or gray replace. also check the front diff gear oil it should be light brown . if gray tone replace.

Add your comment to this topic!