Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

?????? amp gain settings.

dice daniels
03-03-2005, 01:41 AM
Ok, starting fresh. what did you mean? I didd'nt re-read it so I'm gona shoot in the dark.

say my deck has 4.5 volt pre outs. Do I set the gain to 4.5 to match it up, or do I set it to what ever equals 14.4 between both. you had me lost. right now I have mine set to whatever sounds the best. Have'nt looked to be sure.

ngsm By the way good dissin'. You had me pissed!!! made me want to punch my monitor.

Where can I find info on box specs? All the exsplinations on the abreviated terms and what they apply to?

ngsm13
03-03-2005, 11:19 AM
Ok, starting fresh. what did you mean? I didd'nt re-read it so I'm gona shoot in the dark.

say my deck has 4.5 volt pre outs. Do I set the gain to 4.5 to match it up, or do I set it to what ever equals 14.4 between both. you had me lost. right now I have mine set to whatever sounds the best. Have'nt looked to be sure.

ngsm By the way good dissin'. You had me pissed!!! made me want to punch my monitor.

Where can I find info on box specs? All the exsplinations on the abreviated terms and what they apply to?

I could write a big long-winded reply about the gains, but here's one of the best tutorials I've found:
http://www.caraudio.com/vb/showthread.php?t=63933

If you still have questions, feel free to ask.

As far as technical terms, head over to www.bcae1.com or www.12volt.com

Both are GREAT sites to increase your knowledge! peace

NG

curtis73
03-03-2005, 12:06 PM
I usually use this quick way to set mine. Take a look at your maximum volume setting on your head unit. Some are 30, some 50, whatever. Set it to about 3/4 of that maximum. Now adjust the gain to get acceptable volume without any distortion. Doing it this way requires a good ear. With your 4.5v output the gain should be pretty low.

PaulD
03-04-2005, 10:01 PM

not really ....... you set the deck to right at clipping, then set the amp there too - then give the amp gain a good 1/4 twist or so.

ngsm13
03-04-2005, 10:40 PM
I could write a big long-winded reply about the gains, but here's one of the best tutorials I've found:
http://www.caraudio.com/vb/showthread.php?t=63933

If you still have questions, feel free to ask.

As far as technical terms, head over to www.bcae1.com or www.12volt.com

Both are GREAT sites to increase your knowledge! peace

NG

If you read up on the thread suggested above... It's THE BEST way to set your gains...period. peace

NG

dice daniels
03-05-2005, 01:34 AM
Thanks for the linx. Still checking them out. learnin' some pretty cool shit. Yer the man. It'll take me another day or so and then I'll be asking more questions. Thanks alot.

PaulD
03-05-2005, 10:56 AM
I think I have looked thru both of those at one time or another ... that's another part I want to add to the "start here first" thread. A link to popular and well written websites. It sure is easier to explain stuff someone that has a basic understanding of what's going on.

dice daniels
03-05-2005, 02:31 PM
That would be a realy good idea.But I skipped right by the thread myself. I figured I knew enough to make sence and just needed some brushing up on some things. I'm not tellin ya how to run your site but maybe a link bar that apears in every thread will be useful. I've noticed that alot of people ask the same questions over and over again. Maybe it would be useful to everybody.

heres a link to most of the wiring harness color codes if you dont have it.(http://www.ucinet.com/~rmssound/wirecode.htm). It has been realy handy for me.

CBFryman
03-05-2005, 02:41 PM
excelent link to both of ya.

dice daniels
03-05-2005, 10:15 PM
I gotta box building question.

I am planing to build a ported box and I'm using a box designing program (aj vented designer)and I entered in all the info on my subs and it turned up a 14740.6 cubic inch box with 46.3378 cubic inches of ported area. which is basicaly 8.5 cubic feet of airspace for one sub. I'm just learning how to calculate boxes so bare with me.

I'm woundering what Would be the best frequency to tune it to and how to calculate it for a square port. I want the port 1 1/2 inches tall and the width of the box. each of the boxes will be 18" high and 14" wide and 58.4946 deep if measured on the inside. that wil roughly give me a 2 inch depth on the port if tuned to 24hz. Do I sound like an ass or is this right?

dice daniels
03-06-2005, 12:00 AM
ok now im realy confused. I just re-entered the specs of my subs and got a totaly different box size.

the first box was 14" long x 18" wide x 58.4089" deep with a port 1" wide x 14" long x 1.767" deep tuned at 28hz

this box is 14" long x 18" wide x 22.1421" deep with a port 2"wide x 14" long x 41.25" deep tuned at 28hz.

have not a clue what did it but I am new at this so I garantee its user error. Plus there is one term that has me lost. What does (Dp: ) stand for. is it depth? that was my guess.

I have no clue as you can probably tell but if any of you want the specs of my subs to put into a calculator to compair to mine here they are:

Fs= 28 hz
Qts= 0.526
Qes= 0.614
Qms= 7.698
Vas= 56L
X max= 16mm
Efi= 89.58
Sd= 0.0491m
Rs= 3.2 ohm
Norm Imp= dual 4ohm
Rms power= 500w
Mound depth= 160mm
Hole Diam= 296mm

I know you wont need them all but I typed them in anyway to make sure you dont have to ask for anything. The subs are american pro if you're woundering. Not bad subs for the price. I will be running 9 of them in individual ported boxes stacked and bolted together to make a wall in the rear seat area of my 84 mustang lx 5.0. I think it will be nice and loud.

Add your comment to this topic!