Page updated on 11-19-2017

94 Cougar problem

Brendan Popelka
03-03-2005, 12:43 AM
I recently bought my 94 cougar XR7 w/ the 4.6L with only 43000 miles on it. It is an incredible car to drive, minus the problem I am having. It seems that when I am driving at around 20-40 mph the car begins to shake/vibrate...however you understand that. Although as soon as I release the gas pedal the vibration stops and my rpms drop significantly. If anyone has an answer/explanation as to why this is happening it would be greatly appreciated. I don't know much about cars but i suspect it has something to do with switching gears(maybe???). Thanx

lball
03-11-2005, 04:09 PM
I recently bought my 94 cougar XR7 w/ the 4.6L with only 43000 miles on it. It is an incredible car to drive, minus the problem I am having. It seems that when I am driving at around 20-40 mph the car begins to shake/vibrate...however you understand that. Although as soon as I release the gas pedal the vibration stops and my rpms drop significantly. If anyone has an answer/explanation as to why this is happening it would be greatly appreciated. I don't know much about cars but i suspect it has something to do with switching gears(maybe???). Thanx
If the shaking starts at around 35MPH, then it sounds like your torque converter lockup is slipping. Replacing the torque converter is the only cure I know $$$$$. The bad news is, if it is your torque converter, and
you don't replace it, it can harm your transmission/drive train. A good test for this is when the shaking starts, without taking your foot off the gas pedal, quickly tap your brake pedal. if you RPM rises slightly and the shaking goes away this is your problem.

Brendan Popelka
03-13-2005, 10:14 PM
thanx for the acknowledgement, ill try that out.

low
03-14-2005, 03:50 PM
before you go through that check your U joints if it only occurs when you have a decent amout of pressure on the drive line it could be that your U joints are going. When you put it in gear do you hear a clicking noise. Try taking it from park to reverse and listen closely. Your drive line might be out of ballance. dont spend all the money on a torque converter unless you know for a fact that is it.

low
03-14-2005, 03:53 PM
by the way if you want to contact me you can email me or you could send me a message on one of the messengers.

lball
03-14-2005, 05:03 PM
thanx for the acknowledgement, ill try that out.
Me again about the torque converter. A friend suggested that if the
transmission fluid has not been changed in a long time, the transmission
could be causing the problem. He suggested that the fluid should be changed in the transmission AND the torque converter. Apparently the Cougar transmissions are notorious for this.(first I've hear of lt) This would be the cheapest fix if this is the cause. Good luck.

Brendan Popelka
03-19-2005, 12:30 AM
I have had the transmission fluid replaced and it has helped tremendously, although it still happens every so often. At least when it does now its not nearly as bad as it used to be. I'm not sure about that U joint thing, but at least its livable with now. If things happen to take a turn for the worse, ill check more about that.

Thanks lots for the replies guys.

twa1950
11-10-2005, 10:54 PM
Me again about the torque converter. A friend suggested that if the
transmission fluid has not been changed in a long time, the transmission
could be causing the problem. He suggested that the fluid should be changed in the transmission AND the torque converter. Apparently the Cougar transmissions are notorious for this.(first I've hear of lt) This would be the cheapest fix if this is the cause. Good luck.

Put a bottle of slick 50 transmission fluid in it. It is thick like STP. I did this and it cured the proplem in mine.
Terry

Add your comment to this topic!