Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

sunroof?

mikeeman
03-02-2005, 03:13 PM
My mali does not a have sunroof.......i want a sunroof!

I looked into aftermarket ones and around my are - folks charge 1,000 to install one.

I was also thinking of pulling one off a wrecking yard from another malibu. I asked the aftermarket installers if they were willing to make a hole in my roof so i can put one in from the junk yard, they said this was not possible.

How true is this? and is this something i can tackle myself?

gapboi210
03-03-2005, 04:50 PM
My Malibu came with one factory. I don't know if you would want to tackle one your self. Think about it, you or someone else is going to cut a hole in the roof of the car. What happenes if you screw up? Not too much you can do from there. You would have to wire it, find the headliner, shade, switch, bolt in tracks, motor, etc. It is a lot of work, and it MUST be done right, or you will have leaks and air noise. It isn't a common thing to do either. They really are no guide lines to follow specific to the malibu and installation.

I would never persoannly attempt or have a sunroof installed on a vehicle unless it was a POS that I didn't care about.

molehole
03-03-2005, 05:25 PM
Yeah if you put in a sunroof yourself it could be a major pain. You should be able to have that done for a little less- like $700. Shop around- it may payoff. I wouldn't suggest doing it yourself. THe professional so it everyday and its their fault if they mess something up. You also don't want it to leak from improper installation. Good Luck

porrsher
03-26-2005, 08:54 AM
The oem sunroof would be part of of the roof in the malibu, you wont be able to use one from the yard unless you completetly cut off the roof of the cars. After markets will be drop ins with their own casings. I shoped around for a year so far for an aftermarket on wife's Jeep GC and ranges from 1k to 1200 for power and 300 or so for pop up.

wpbharry
03-27-2005, 11:34 AM
The last time I considered having this done was to my '96 Monte. Back then, prices I got ranged from $1200 on up to like $1750. Fortunately, both the '98 Mali and the '04 Maxx had/have OEM ones.

I never had it done, but I do remember that the nice thing about several of the aftermarket roofs is that they close automatically when you turn off the ignition. Nice in an area like mine where it can drizzle for 2 minutes when you least expect it.

Add your comment to this topic!