Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

fuel additive

feb
03-02-2005, 08:15 AM
What additive is best for me to I use in my fuel to clean the throttle body, valves, etc. and how often. I have an 03 trailblazer 6cyl and an 04 silverado v8. Thanks

bowtieguy
03-02-2005, 08:24 AM
i have had good luck with Red Line it is a detergent too and doesnt use solvents that could harm seals , o-rings and gaskets.

feb
03-02-2005, 10:15 AM
Is red line the brand name and where is it available? Thanks

bowtieguy
03-02-2005, 10:20 AM
[QUOTE=feb]Is red line the brand name and where is it available? Thanks

Red Line is the brand yes...and here in central texas i have only found it in Pep Boys. May be else where in other states though.

airjam18
03-02-2005, 03:15 PM
I've also been using RedLine and it seems to work well.

broughy84
03-02-2005, 06:10 PM
I like SeaFoam. It is available at any Napa Auto Parts Store. I also have tried Red Line it is also an excellent product; however it is not available in the local parts store here in Bicknell!

99redsilverado
03-03-2005, 07:56 PM
buy a spray can of 3M throttle body and choke cleaner and with the butterfly open all the way, spray a lil bit down there and then start it and work the butterfly and spray to keep it running until the can is empty......i would do additive, gums up fuel tank, lines etc.

KalebC
02-11-2012, 11:42 PM
It's a little late for Feb's Trailblazer, but here's another suggestion for anyone browsing this topic.

Try Syntek XFT to clean your valves etc. Full disclosure: I sell the stuff, but I use it too, because it works well. It's going to remove buildup and prevent it from forming again.

XFT has seven compounds in one fuel treatment that will do the job. One compound is an anti-microbial that will prevent buildup. It has an anti-corrosive agent to prevent rust, which is especially important with all the ethanol they put in gas these days. Also, it makes your fuel burn more efficiently and completely, which will give you better performance, and more to the point here, it will prevent partially burnt fuel from building up as carbon in your pistons etc.

How often do you use it? A tiny bit every time you fill up.

j cAT
02-12-2012, 09:25 AM
It's a little late for Feb's Trailblazer, but here's another suggestion for anyone browsing this topic.

Try Syntek XFT to clean your valves etc. Full disclosure: I sell the stuff, but I use it too, because it works well. It's going to remove buildup and prevent it from forming again.

XFT has seven compounds in one fuel treatment that will do the job. One compound is an anti-microbial that will prevent buildup. It has an anti-corrosive agent to prevent rust, which is especially important with all the ethanol they put in gas these days. Also, it makes your fuel burn more efficiently and completely, which will give you better performance, and more to the point here, it will prevent partially burnt fuel from building up as carbon in your pistons etc.

How often do you use it? A tiny bit every time you fill up.

I use marvel mystery oil in the fuel 1 oz / 10 gallons. this cleans and lubes the fuel system . now over 20 years of using this with carbs/throttlebody/injectors no problems or failures.

about $4-5.oo / quart. so you get a good amount of treatment.cost effective.

what is the cost on the product you deal ?

j cAT
02-12-2012, 10:06 AM
syntek is not a oil company or a chemical company. it is purly a marketing company. no stores sell it because of the very expensive cost. this cost is I guess around $4/ 1/4 oz which treats 10 gallons of fuel.

30 day money back guarantee. I have yet to find any way to get your money back.

if the vehicle warrantee is void because of this product you will have a hard time getting compensated.

who manufactures this is a mystery. No companies/racing etc are using it . if it did do as stated I would think the racing vehicles would use this.

I don't believe it. its been around for over 20years and now its available ???

KalebC
02-13-2012, 10:44 PM
syntek is not a oil company or a chemical company. it is purly a marketing company. no stores sell it because of the very expensive cost. this cost is I guess around $4/ 1/4 oz which treats 10 gallons of fuel.

30 day money back guarantee. I have yet to find any way to get your money back.

if the vehicle warrantee is void because of this product you will have a hard time getting compensated.

who manufactures this is a mystery. No companies/racing etc are using it . if it did do as stated I would think the racing vehicles would use this.

I don't believe it. its been around for over 20years and now its available ???
j cAT, thanks for your opinion. I have been looking for more people to give me feedback about the product. So far, I just have satisfied customers, myself included, and a very responsive company. I haven't had anyone who has actually tried the product and done business with the company give a negative report, so you can see why I value your feedback if you've tried the product. Judging from your claims, it sounds like you've honestly tried it, j cAT, and had some difficulties. Would you care to tell us how it worked and how the company treated you?

(On a separate note, you might want to check some of your facts, for instance, how much product treats how much fuel.)

j cAT
02-14-2012, 08:37 AM
I did not use this product .

I did lookup info about this and the claims made by the marketing company . reveiws I read were created and distributed by syntek.

since you sell this product ,and use it explain the results you got from the day you used it for a period of 5 fill ups..

what is the cost / 10 gallons of fuel ? how much change in MPG at the end of each fill up 5X ?

if you get 10% more MPG and it costs you $4 for treatment/fill up, its not worth the effort.

most vehicles have injector issues especially with the fuel used today. the use of the proper injector cleaner is all that is required to restore MPG by restoring injector performance. these cleaners are quite compatible with the fuel and the fuel delivery system.

this product you sell does not provide info about its make up and does not provide evidence the the product is compatible.

the reason I use marvel mystery oil is because it is compatible and does a good job lubing , cleanng , and protecting the fuel system components.

with higher fuel prices this year you will find a good market to sell to.

KalebC
02-14-2012, 01:20 PM
Thanks for the reply, jcAT. I just gave a long winded reply to your inquiry, and it a glitch prevented it from posting!! I want to give you a thoughtful answer, and I'll have to get back to you later. I suppose it's better because I'll get to try to make my response more concise. :)

KalebC
02-14-2012, 05:59 PM
I did not use this product .

I did lookup info about this and the claims made by the marketing company . reveiws I read were created and distributed by syntek.

since you sell this product ,and use it explain the results you got from the day you used it for a period of 5 fill ups..

what is the cost / 10 gallons of fuel ? how much change in MPG at the end of each fill up 5X ?

if you get 10% more MPG and it costs you $4 for treatment/fill up, its not worth the effort.

most vehicles have injector issues especially with the fuel used today. the use of the proper injector cleaner is all that is required to restore MPG by restoring injector performance. these cleaners are quite compatible with the fuel and the fuel delivery system.

this product you sell does not provide info about its make up and does not provide evidence the the product is compatible.

the reason I use marvel mystery oil is because it is compatible and does a good job lubing , cleanng , and protecting the fuel system components.

with higher fuel prices this year you will find a good market to sell to.

jcAt, thanks for your thoughtful reply. I want to make sure I address everything you inquired about, so please forgive me if this post is a little longwinded. :)

You're absolutely right, cleaning the injectors and lubrication goes a long way to increase gas mileage. That's why it isn't a bad idea to use the oil additive that you use. And, that's why XFT included a cleaner and a lubricant in addition to the other five compounds that improve performance and longevity above and beyond just cleaning and lubricating.

Some of what goes into XFT is patented, so you're not going to find out exactly what it is, however, I can provide an MSDS sheet and list the 7 compounds in plain English. XFT contains: a lubricant to reduce engine wear and make it run smoother and more efficiently; a cleaner to remove buildup in your injectors and other parts of your fuel system, which will also reduce wear and make it run better; an anti-microbial compound that prevents buildup in your system; an anti-rust anti corrosive compound to protect against the harmful effects of ethanol and the other crap you find in fuel these days; a fuel stabilizer to keep your fuel from breaking down over longer periods of sitting; an water demulsifier to protect your injectors from water damage in case you do get even a tiny drop of water in your fuel, and; it contains an organo-metallic burn-rate modifier to make your fuel burn more evenly so more of it gets used to actually produce power (i.e. better fuel economy) and lets gets partially burnt and ends up as carbon build up and emissions.

What it does? All this amounts to substantially increased fuel economy (above what you would see from only lubing and cleaning your system), increased horse power, prolonged engine life, and lower emissions. So, it's good for your car, your pocket book (now and in the long run), and the environment.

What it does continued: This patented formula does not change the specific gravity of the fuel, so it is compatible with both diesel and gasoline (and biodiesel, bunker fuel, jet fuel--you name it!). In other words, it is not an octane/cetane booster. The burn rate modifier simply allows your engine to make more complete use of the fuel you pump into it. Also, you will notice that it uses a sulphuric lubricant, which is especially good for older diesels made before the new Ultra-Low-Sulphur-Diesel requirements were passed. Because XFT is super concentrated and not full of fillers, the bottle is required to state that it is not ULSD compliant, but as soon as you put it in your tank and it dilutes it is absolutely compliant. Syntek chose for simplicity sake not to take the marketing tactic of adding fillers to be able to claim compliance on the bottle and take up more visual shelf space. It's totally compliant. I have documentation about all this, but an act of congress protects your engine's warranty when you use XFT, and Syntek has a huge insurance policy in case any damage occurs--a policy they've never used in 20+ years of commercial use in and several years of non-commercial use.

As for how well it works, I am happy to share my personal results as well as those found by my customers. I'll tell you now that they confirm what Syntek claims. :smile: I don't have a case study of my customers' use, but I can tell you that they all claim an average of 10% increase in fuel economy.

I have a 1998 Toyota Corolla LE with almost 160k miles on it. I have almost always calculated my MPGs on each fill up. I'm just that way. Before using XFT, I got 24 mpg, give or take 1 mpg. This is for about half highway miles and half in town. For the first 6 or 7 tanks using XFT I maintained the same driving routine until I changed jobs after that, and now I drive more in town than on the highway. On my first treatment I got 26 mpg. On the second, 28 mpg. On the third, 32 mpg. And, on the fourth 27. The somewhat eratic results are typical for the first several tanks as the cleaning process gets underway, and in some cars as the computer adjusts. After the fourth treatment, I no longer kept a running tab, but I did continue to check my MPGs on every fill up just as I had done before. I now get 27 mpg, give or take 1 mpg on each fill up.

That's a 12% increase in fuel economy, which means that along with saving money, and taking care of my engine, I get to skip every 8th fill up. Syntek claims 7%-12% increase in fuel economy, and like I said, my customers get about 10% in all. That's better than any claims I've seen on any other product, though they may be good products.

As for the cost efficiency: is it worth it? Heck yes it is! Let me break it down. 1/4 ounce treats 20 gallons of fuel. (It is recommended that you use a double dose on the first 3 or 4 tanks to jump start the cleaning process, maybe less if you have low miles on your car. This may be the source of your confusion, jcAT, about the cost.) The cost per ounce, or per gallon of fuel treated for that matter, depends on the size of the bottle you buy, how many you buy at a time, whether you just buy it once or sign up for the free and cancellable autoship, and whether you just buy it as a customer or throw down the one-time fifty bucks for a distributorship to get a 25% discount on what you buy (in addition to a 25% commission on what people buy through you.)

Let's assume you forgo all the discounts available and pay full price. And, let's assume you buy a single 2 oz. bottle, rather than one of the bigger bottles. That's what I get because it is about a one month supply for me, and it is small and handy. I don't get the single packets because they are the most expensive per ounce, they aren't resealable and they treat 20 gallons, which is about twice my tank's size. They might be good for initial trials, but I recommend just going with the 2 oz. bottle. Anyway, you pay full price for the second most expensive size and pay taxes and shipping, and it comes out to about $35, for which you can easily get a refund if you don't like the product for any reason within the first 30 days. (Side note: I have called the customer service line several times on my own behalf and on the behalf of my personal customers, and I have always talked with a real person immediately without being put on hold, and all my questions were addressed quickly and satisfactorily.) So, in this scenario you pay $35 for 2 ounces of XFT which treats 160 gallons of fuel. That's 22 cents per gallon treated, or $2.19 per 10 gallons treated ($0.21875/gallon treated to be exact).

To compare how much that adds to your fuel expense to how much it cuts your fuel expense, let's assume a conservative price of gas, $3.50 per gallon. $0.22/gallon cost of XFT would be a 6.29% increase in your cost of fuel. So, you would have to see at least a 6.3% increase in fuel economy to see an immediate return on your investment. Syntek claims at least a 7% improvement, and I have seen in my customers' and my own car upwards of 10% and 12+%. That comes out to at least 4% to 6+% NET/TOTAL savings in fuel expense. That's better than any other claims I've seen out there, but not unbelievably so. Plus, you get the long term benefits and cost savings of taking better care of your car, you'll begin to notice a smoother and more powerful ride as I have and so have my customers, and you're lowering your emissions which is good for the environment. That's not even counting the discount you get when you set up autoship (which is free and you can cancel any time), or the distributor discount if you choose to go that route. Plus, the higher gas prices go, the more you save.

Anyway, I don't want to get too salesy, I just get stoked about saving money. The point is, even on conservative estimates it is more than worth using XFT. The only investments are a tiny amount of time and money, both of which you will get back. The extra 30 seconds it takes at the pump, will be returned by not having to even stop at the station as much, and the price of the first bottle, you will get back within the first month whether it works or not.

So, I know this is longwinded, but I wanted to address everything you asked about jcAT, and give you the response you deserve. I could go on, and I have lots of documentation if you want, but I think this is enough to chew on for now, don't you? :cool:

KalebC
02-14-2012, 06:01 PM
P.S. I did the math one time, and if I remember correctly, gas prices have to fall below somewhere around $2/gallon for XFT to be a wash. That might be one reason why Syntek waited to release it to the non-commercial market.

j cAT
02-14-2012, 06:39 PM
thanks for your info on this subject. the cost is too high for the amount of gain that would be expected IMOP.

alcohol in fuel is a big problem ,and products that prolong the life of the fuel is needed as well as control of corrosion that occurs.

I track my MPG since miles and gallons are recorded. with 12 yrs of use in april of this year I still get 18-19.5 mpg on the hywy 135.ooomi. 4X4 1500 silveado. when the MPG drops slightly I add the marel mystery oil 2oz/20 gallons and at the same time techron injector cleaner. MPG returns. cost is 6.oo / bottle of cleaner and the marvel is 25 cents.

this is around the 2,ooomi use interval that the injector /fuel system is treated.
so far the engine is working properly no issues so far , since 2000 april.

the cost you stated I could not find. I guess that the marketing company was afraid to scare vehicle owners away with that price.

good luck with your sales in this product.

KalebC
02-14-2012, 09:28 PM
thanks for your info on this subject. the cost is too high for the amount of gain that would be expected IMOP.

alcohol in fuel is a big problem ,and products that prolong the life of the fuel is needed as well as control of corrosion that occurs.

I track my MPG since miles and gallons are recorded. with 12 yrs of use in april of this year I still get 18-19.5 mpg on the hywy 135.ooomi. 4X4 1500 silveado. when the MPG drops slightly I add the marel mystery oil 2oz/20 gallons and at the same time techron injector cleaner. MPG returns. cost is 6.oo / bottle of cleaner and the marvel is 25 cents.

this is around the 2,ooomi use interval that the injector /fuel system is treated.
so far the engine is working properly no issues so far , since 2000 april.

the cost you stated I could not find. I guess that the marketing company was afraid to scare vehicle owners away with that price.

good luck with your sales in this product.

Thanks, j cAT, I never have understood when people say the cost is too much even after realizing you save much more than you spend, and realizing there is nothing else that will give you that degree of savings in that area of your budget. Maybe I never will understand :) My guess is that cost is not the real objection. I bet for some it's more likely an issue of lack of trust, the discomfort of overcoming brand loyalty, or the discomfort of realizing one has missed out and will continue to miss out by sticking with one's normal mode of operation.

C'est la vie. Take care, j cAT. I hope this discussion will be helpful to others.

Add your comment to this topic!