'91 Geo Metro wont' start if engine is hot?

VegasPeanut
03-02-2005, 03:26 AM
My poor little geo-bird seems to be sick..
Yesterday I discovered that my Geo will only re-start if the engine has had time to completely cool down. :banghead: I don't understand this?
It drives beautifully - not hot or anything...
but then I turn off the car, and if I return to the car before it has cooled, the battery operated accessories turn on, but there is absolutely no firing in the motor ---
Doesn't seem like the starter to me -- could be ignition overheating? is that possible?
I would love any tips and advice
Thanks!

Christy and her 91 geo :iceslolan

geozukigti
03-02-2005, 10:50 AM
Could quite possibly be the ignition coil is cracked. It could swell when it gets hot, and the crack could open up. But, that's just a guess. If you want, you can get a coil for about $15 at the auto parts store, hook it up, and try that out. If it doesn't fix your problem, clean it up, and take it back :smokin:

VegasPeanut
03-02-2005, 11:05 AM
OK thanks! This morning, when the engine should definitely be cooled, it wouldn't start either.. so that's ruining that theory.
Last night it took 5-7 hours sitting before it would start up again.. it sat for 8.5 last night..

ARG! I don't mind fixing it, but I dont know what to fix

Crvett69
03-02-2005, 11:26 AM
does engine crank over or it does nothing at all?

VegasPeanut
03-02-2005, 11:29 AM
Nothing... everything battery operated turns on, and theres a slight buzzing, (some type of pump or motor I'm assuming) but not even a hint of it turning over or cranking or firing.... which says to me it has nothing to do with the battery (bummer - thats easy!)

Mike_Van
03-02-2005, 02:12 PM
The pump you hear is probably your fuel pump, so that circuit is probably OK.

Are you sure your battery is OK (at least 14 volts?)?
A bad battery could have enough juice to turn on the fuel pump but not enough to get the starter motor going. Just a guess.

VegasPeanut
03-02-2005, 02:43 PM
The pump you hear is probably your fuel pump, so that circuit is probably OK.

Are you sure your battery is OK (at least 14 volts?)?
A bad battery could have enough juice to turn on the fuel pump but not enough to get the starter motor going. Just a guess.

I do need to check it, but what I dont understand, is why sometimes it would and sometimes it wouldn't?

Mike_Van
03-02-2005, 05:57 PM
Perhaps its due to the amount of time the battery is left to build up a charge, but until we know if the battery is OK or not, I'm just guessing

VegasPeanut
03-02-2005, 06:48 PM
ok so my boyfriend (pretty mechanically inclined) looked at my car, and listened to it - said there is no starter sounds.. no wrr wrr wrr sound...

Can someone help us know how to pull the starter? AutoZone will test it... but he's not sure how to get it out (he's always worked on pickups and larger cars... he's amazed by my "lawnmower")
:grinno:

Thanks!
Christy

Crvett69
03-02-2005, 09:21 PM
to pull the starter first disconnect the battery, will be 2 12mm head bolts coming into starter from tranny side. take those 2 out then move the starter to where you can get to battery cable and unbolt it from starter and remove it. there is a metal plate that fits between starter and tranny. don't lose it when you remove starter. also before you take it out thy using a set of jumper cables on the car and see if it starts then

VegasPeanut
03-03-2005, 01:54 PM

We pulled the started last night and got it tested" Yup that wouldnt even start a weed wacker!" --- bought a new one (only $110 yah!)

got it installed....car is happy... we cleaned the throttle body while we were in there -- wow thats a happy Geo :o)

Add your comment to this topic!