Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Subs in my BED

OffRoadSonoma
03-01-2005, 06:51 PM
I have a '95 gmc sonoma, extended cab. Right now I have to 12 inch kenwoods in my back seat and they really bump, but now I'm looking to go bigger and better. So what I want to do is put the subs in the bed of my truck. I'm either looking to get 4 12's or 2 15's. So my question is, which is better, and what brands are good? Then I am going to build a custom box, and build it into my bed so you have to pull the speakers to get the box out, so it won't get stolen as easily. So what type of box should I build, sealed, ported, or bandpass? Then I was wondering if I could go with a snap tonneau cover or should I buy a hard fiberglass bed cap? Thanks for your guy's help.

dice daniels
03-01-2005, 07:35 PM
you cant lock a vinyl tonneau so fiberglass would be more secure. I've heard 15's dont last quite as long as 10's and 12's because of the huge cone area, but I know alot of people who run them so I dont know how true that is. I guess its all about preferance and what you're willing to spend' I myself like tripple sub setups but thats my taste.

Remember that your cab moves independant of your bed. You may have to mount your bed on bushings if you are doing a bed cut through. If you do,look into a boot to go between your cab and bed. it would be less work.

Some of that was probably useless advice but what the hell.

ngsm13
03-01-2005, 08:47 PM
I've heard 15's dont last quite as long as 10's and 12's because of the huge cone area

Stupid...

What's your budget, and what's the main goal of this setup?!?

NG

OffRoadSonoma
03-01-2005, 10:14 PM
I wasn't planning on doing a cut-through. I heard they were alot of work. I was just planning on putting some subs back there that were alot more powerful than what I have now. I have 2 kenwood 12's pushing about 700 each, with a sony xplode 760 amp. I'm just looking for something that will be louder inside and outside of my truck. So I really don't know if this will be louder inside because it won't be right behind my head like it is now. But I definetly want something you can hear me coming with. With everything included, bed cover, materials, and equipment I'm looking to spend about $2,000- $2,500. I know I'm spelling it wrong, but I heard Vonvenhagen was a really good brand. I don't know if it's true, or is there a better brand to go with?

AndonD454
03-01-2005, 10:53 PM
vonvenhagen? what the hell is that? maybe youre meaning volfenhag, but those subs are shit so i didnt think thats what you meant.

look at digital designs(www.ddaudio.com) their woofers are crazy loud ive heard.. a couple 9515s would shake you up a bit, if you could afford good amps for them and a new alternator.

tons of good SPL subs out there though

ngsm13
03-01-2005, 11:36 PM
This is just stupid! It won't work, and it's not smart! You NEED the subs INSIDE the truck...period. peace

NG

CBFryman
03-02-2005, 03:14 PM
you cna do a cut through but unless you know what you are doing plan on a leaky cab or your enclosure getting seriously ragged out....the bed will flex with the frame....and if you hit a big enough hole you will snap your enclosure right in half

and whoever told whoever that 15's dont last as long as 10's or 12's.... well dont listen to that persone because they need to be shot right now... ;)

Abell255
03-02-2005, 05:36 PM
i think it's gay when dumbass people say shit they dont know.....ruining these forums

CBFryman
03-02-2005, 05:54 PM
abell i sure hope you arent refering to me....

Abell255
03-02-2005, 08:49 PM
abell i sure hope you arent refering to me....

I am....

:iceslolan jk, duh....You can't spell to well, or maybe its that you dont give a fuck, eitherway, you know alot.

Anyhow,
if some of us hadnt said anything after dice said "15's dont last as long as 12's or 10's, the dude may have gone out and bought 8's because they have less cone area? :eek7: Don't post if you don't know anything. FUCK. you guys should feel good, you save many people from buying shit, literally.

AndonD454
03-02-2005, 09:17 PM
am i the only one who hasnt really noticed any big spelling problems in frymans posts?

threedd97
03-03-2005, 12:34 AM
He watches it a lot more now that Noah's Arc pointed it out about a million times.

If you're going to put them in the bed of the truck, you MUST cut out a section of the back of the cab, otherwise the setup will be worthless. Just get one of those covers people use that lock down and build a box that will connect into the cab. I assume a rubber gasket/weatherstrip will be necessary with the cutout, so look into that. There must be more information on this somewhere on the net, so look around. It'd be cheaper to go for 2 15's than 4 12's. A lot cheaper. Less power and lower number of subs. You'd save a lot of money that you can put into doing the needed body work and get it done right. I have 1 15" XXX and it's loud as hell and sounds beautiful. 2 15's will be crazy. With the right setup you'll be over 150db's, which is really really loud for the average driver.

Check out the link in my profile. It lists brands that are rated in sections from Not Recommended to Highly Recommended. Brands such as Ascendant Audio, Adire, Resonant Engineering, Magnum, Incriminator, Digital Designs and a handful of others would be in your best interest. I know Ascendant, Adire and RE all have lines of 15's in an affordable price range and don't require and insane amount of power and also have higher lines at a cost. Ascendant has the Atlas and Avalanche - Adire has the Brahma and Tempest - RE has the SX and XXX. Shop around and see what you like. As far as amps go there are HiFonics, Cadence, U.S. Amps, Tru Tech and many others. HiFonics is a more budget amp that still performs really well. So check that out.

You may also want to look into a nice component set to accompany this loud setup you want to create. CDT, Adire, RE, and I think MB Quartz are all great companies too look into for this. I know Adire has the Koda 6.1 component set. Supposed to be absolutely awesome with SQ and midbass. I know I'm investing in these when the time comes.

Lastly, listen to what NG, SR20 and bumpin might suggest. Give us a budget to work with as well and the types of music you listen to.

*Note: I know that Adire and RE are both coming out with new lines in the next couple of months or so. If you're interested in those companies, I suggest waiting to see what comes about.

ngsm13
03-03-2005, 12:39 AM
He watches it a lot more now that Noah's Arc pointed it out about a million times.

BTW, it's Ark* :) And who were you referring to?

NG

threedd97
03-03-2005, 12:41 AM
BTW, it's Ark* :) And who were you referring to?

NG

Crap, screw the bible. I was referring to you <3.

When all is said and done, Jean Claude Van Dame knows all.

ponchonutty
03-03-2005, 06:51 AM
I wasn't planning on doing a cut-through. I heard they were alot of work. I was just planning on putting some subs back there that were alot more powerful than what I have now. I have 2 kenwood 12's pushing about 700 each, with a sony xplode 760 amp. I'm just looking for something that will be louder inside and outside of my truck. So I really don't know if this will be louder inside because it won't be right behind my head like it is now. But I definetly want something you can hear me coming with. With everything included, bed cover, materials, and equipment I'm looking to spend about $2,000- $2,500. I know I'm spelling it wrong, but I heard Vonvenhagen was a really good brand. I don't know if it's true, or is there a better brand to go with?

Man, you have all kinds of ways of doing this. Since you have an extended cab, you could install 4 or 6 12" woofers as long as they do not require a lot of airspace. Try to look for something that requires something under 1 cu/ft per sub. The subs l like can go down to .5cu/ft in a sealed enclosure. Ported can be done too but there you will need more space.

I've done 6 12" woofers in a Tacoma and it all fit inside the ext. part. Man was that ever obnoxious! I've also put them in the bed like you are talking about. It was in a new regular cabbed S10. I put a snug cap on it with the rubber seal. I then removed the rear window and built a box Pacman style that held 8 10" woofers that was really too much but the guy loved it.

CBFryman
03-03-2005, 04:44 PM
oh no problem Abell....i was just making sure.

nad wat d0 ouy mran i hab bad spelng?

lol

and Poncho...i am putting a 18 in the extended part of my truck...with the seats as far back as i will ever need. and my 18 craves a 7cuft enclosure.... hmmm.... i bet it will sound pretty damn good too.... oh ya and get louder than my used to be friend who says he will get louder than me with his 8 "Xtreme" audio 12's. well i told him in his dreams unless he tuned it to 40 some odd Hz. well he is claiming he will hit 152dB on the new soundlab mics (well he doesnt even know what the differnece is but he says on the ISCA certified mics up at sound citation) so either sound citation will be fucking with their mics, tuning to high 30's low 40's, or thoes POS xtreme audio 12s are so shitty after all.... he says he will klober my 18 in SPL and SQ.... i laughed and walked away. he is one of thoes fags that says they are going to get something but never does (like once he told me he was going to get 4 MTX 9500 15's....) but never does and when he actually does get something he never shuts up about it... well not that that had anything to do with enclosures in beds but anyway.... im dont bitching...

ponchonutty
03-03-2005, 09:52 PM

lol

and Poncho...i am putting a 18 in the extended part of my truck...with the seats as far back as i will ever need. and my 18 craves a 7cuft enclosure.... hmmm.... i bet it will sound pretty damn good too.... oh ya and get louder than my used to be friend who says he will get louder than me with his 8 "Xtreme" audio 12's. well i told him in his dreams unless he tuned it to 40 some odd Hz. well he is claiming he will hit 152dB on the new soundlab mics (well he doesnt even know what the differnece is but he says on the ISCA certified mics up at sound citation) so either sound citation will be fucking with their mics, tuning to high 30's low 40's, or thoes POS xtreme audio 12s are so shitty after all.... he says he will klober my 18 in SPL and SQ.... i laughed and walked away. he is one of thoes fags that says they are going to get something but never does (like once he told me he was going to get 4 MTX 9500 15's....) but never does and when he actually does get something he never shuts up about it... well not that that had anything to do with enclosures in beds but anyway.... im dont bitching...

Yeah, I am not really a fan of the Xtreme stuff personally. I mean, they are better than those other cracker jack crap at the chain stores but that's about it. Of course for $35 for a 12" what would you expect? They are decent starter systems but there's no way I'd put the time and money to lay out 8 of those subs!!!

germanyt
03-04-2005, 01:43 PM
I have a '95 gmc sonoma, extended cab. Right now I have to 12 inch kenwoods in my back seat and they really bump, but now I'm looking to go bigger and better. So what I want to do is put the subs in the bed of my truck. I'm either looking to get 4 12's or 2 15's. So my question is, which is better, and what brands are good? Then I am going to build a custom box, and build it into my bed so you have to pull the speakers to get the box out, so it won't get stolen as easily. So what type of box should I build, sealed, ported, or bandpass? Then I was wondering if I could go with a snap tonneau cover or should I buy a hard fiberglass bed cap? Thanks for your guy's help.

im not too sure about what kind of bed cover to you but i will ask you to hold off on buying your subs until you have checked out the JL 12" w3. i have a buddy that was able to fit 3 of them in the back of his Dakota extended cab. and he didnt have to cut into his bed. trust me when i say that this was one of the best sounding systems ive ever heard. he ran a sealed box subs forward, not up, in a semi triangle pattern. i am not sure the specifics on the amp. i know he is running phoenix gold. this would be quite an expensive system. but that is what going bigger and better is all about

germanyt
03-04-2005, 01:51 PM

lol

tell your friend to get some new shit. 8 12s should be going to nationals. not hitting 152, im hitting 150 with (2)Punch P3 12s in the trunk of a 4 door grand prix. who knows how much im losing from the trunk to the passenger seat. probably hitting 160 or higher coming out of the vent.

CBFryman
03-04-2005, 04:02 PM
lol....no comment....yes his woofers (and whole set up) are shit....but if he is hitting 152 (which he isnt) that is no small feat. especially in a box tuned to 34Hz....

CBFryman
03-04-2005, 04:05 PM
oh ya.... he got it all finished yesterday and i went out and looked at it...it is loud no doubt...but nowhere near 152...i can still stand it with it all the way up with the doors shut. granted it didnt feel good but i didnt have to plug my ears (dont try that kiddies). and he did set off a few car alarms....but then agian so did another friend of mines set up with 2 W6v2 12's in a sealed enclsore. once i get my 18, if it DOESNT set off car alarms with only one BX1800 i will sell it and disown RE....

ponchonutty
03-04-2005, 07:26 PM
tell your friend to get some new shit. 8 12s should be going to nationals. not hitting 152, im hitting 150 with (2)Punch P3 12s in the trunk of a 4 door grand prix. who knows how much im losing from the trunk to the passenger seat. probably hitting 160 or higher coming out of the vent.
Yeah well most set ups with that many 12's should hit pretty hard but it's all in the build. Not sure where or who was saying that someone was in the 150's with this setup though.

Anyway, just by adding more subs doesn't mean that you will automatically gain SPL. There's many things to consider when trying to build a SPL car. For normal everyday pounding, 2 subs are usually plenty if properly built. Heck, I was able to reach 140's with only 2 10's.

CBFryman
03-04-2005, 08:18 PM
hehe....140's is more than common with one xxx10.... ;) and 150's with 15 and 18.

ngsm13
03-05-2005, 11:04 AM

No, you are not! :grinno:

You will hit NO WHERE near that on the TL sensor, period. That score is complete HORSE SHIT, and you suck at life. I HIGHLY doubt you could even hit that on an OLD AC MIC in the port! So quit your bull-shit, it won't fly past me. peace

NG

BTW: I sat in 170.2 dB's on the TL sensor :)

ngsm13
03-05-2005, 11:13 AM
hehe....140's is more than common with one xxx10.... ;) and 150's with 15 and 18.

How do you know?

NG

bumpinstang77
03-05-2005, 11:22 AM
Fryman: that was a dumbass comment. what the xxx's are hitting is TOTALLY install dependant. I would be pretty damn hard to do a 140 with a single xxx10 in a daily setup...... still wouldn't be easy in an SPL setup. And most daily 15xxx's are not doing 150's....MAYBE mid 140's at the most.....same w/ xxx18's prolly not quite a 150 in most DAILY setups......but then again its all in the install.

germanyt: ur not hittin 150 w/ 2 p3's.....esp. in a trunked car not gunna happen period. No if they were in a wall tued to like 55-60hz (which wouldn't be usable daily) and a shit ton of power then MAYBE I would believe you.

CBFryman
03-05-2005, 11:40 AM
i just felt like making them look good, damnit...
pure SPL xxx10 is able to hit 140....not easy, but it has the ability to.... i want to get an XXX10 and put it in a TL tuned to 45Hz then put that in the back of my truck....see what i will do with 2000w...

aznxthuggie
03-05-2005, 12:44 PM
if u want to do this i would actually recommend a bunch of subs instead of just 2 or 4, i think on realm of excursion there is a clip of a guy with a bunch of RE subs in a custom enclosure on his truck bed, go check it out maybe u can get some ideas

ngsm13
03-05-2005, 03:25 PM
I'm not saying the 10xxx can't hit 140, I'm very sure that it can. But it's ludicrous to tout generic over-generalized numbers about a subwoofer. It's stupid, and ignorant. I'm sure i could hit over a 145 with One 10XXX. It's all in the install..

NG

ponchonutty
03-05-2005, 08:54 PM
All you little people are fun to watch!

dice daniels
03-06-2005, 01:22 AM
you cna do a cut through but unless you know what you are doing plan on a leaky cab or your enclosure getting seriously ragged out....the bed will flex with the frame....and if you hit a big enough hole you will snap your enclosure right in half

and whoever told whoever that 15's dont last as long as 10's or 12's.... well dont listen to that persone because they need to be shot right now... ;)

I realy didd'nt think it was true. I heard it from about 3 people but then again they were all buddies and only one of them had a decent system. I was told they start getting stress creases. But shit if it aint true then I guess I know now.

The only bed cut through I have ever helped with was damn near more work than it was wourth. he cut a hole through the cab and bed and pushed his box through to the back of the seats and drove down the road to test it out. He ended up busting his box to shit when he hit the first bump. I finaly talked him into going to an rv shop and buying a boot for going between a camper shell and the cab. It was still a bitch though.We had to have custom cut rings made to bolt the boot in, and once we finaly got it in, the body still flexed too much when he went off road. It almost ripped the boot so we had to put soft rubber bushings between the bed and the frame and then use 1 inch body lift spacers to get the body lines to line back up. It turned out to be pretty damn nice once he built a new box and got it all set up. he ran 4 15" momos for a while and then upgraded to jl about a year later and started competing. But I still would'nt want to do it myself. It may knock the wind out of you but its way too much damn work.

threedd97
03-06-2005, 03:42 AM
Maybe a pile of crap from Sony or something along the lines of that, but even then it's probably not true. Have they ever owned a 15" themselves? Heard one? Seen one?

ngsm13
03-06-2005, 11:22 AM
All you little people are fun to watch!

Some people are...

NG

OffRoadSonoma
03-06-2005, 02:26 PM
Thanks for all the replies guys. It's really gonna help this summer when I redo my system. One of the guys was talking about a website, realm of darkness. Do you guys have any other websites I can get encolsure ideas from, or speaker or brand reviews? Or are the reviews pretty much useless, since it all depends on the build right. Thanks guys.

CBFryman
03-06-2005, 03:42 PM
Myself, Bumpinstang, and ngsm13 along with maybe a few others in here design enclosures. all you have to do is PM or E-mail is with Maximum dimentions (LxWxH) and what you are looking for (Pure SQ, SQL, SQL with but more SPL oriented, or all out SPL. and if you would prefer Ported OR Sealed. Im messing around with TL but that is pretty much HT only unless you want to give up alot of space)
We have a brand list that is pretty well agreed on between us all and alot of people outside this board.
but you can head over to DIYaudio.com or Soundillusions.net.

Add your comment to this topic!