Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Amplifier Install

jimmy8091
03-22-2002, 09:18 PM
Hey All,

I just bought an amp, and wanted to install it myself. I just needed a few tips. Hopefully you all can help out. I have a 91 Accord Ex, full options.

1) Is there an easy place to connect the power to? Or do I have to run a cable from the head back to the amp? I have a power antenna, can I leech power off of that, or will the amp power off when I switch to CD from Radio?

2) Is there a suitable mounting place? Or can I just mount it anywhere?

Thanks again

--j

94EXR_Accord
03-22-2002, 10:04 PM
Let me see if i got this straight, you want to power your amp with the power wire running to your power antenna. This is what I understood form your post. You will need to run your power wire directly from your battery to the amp.Maybe you should look into getting a professional to install it, or if you want to do it yourself there are many good kits on the market that come with all the necessary wires and instructions. Good luck buddy:sun:

brads94accord
03-22-2002, 11:20 PM
you can mount the amp anywhere you want to put it. first thing your gonna wanna do is run a power wire from the amp to the battery(make sure you have a fuse) second thing is ground it by taking up the carpet and finding a bolt or drilling a screw into the subframe. make sure you scratch all the paint off the area so its properly grounded. then run some rca's from the back of your head unit to the amp(make sure you run them on the opposite side of the car as the power wire or you get interference), then run a remote turn on wire to the wire coming out of your head unit on the harness marked acc or ignition wire. then hide all of them and you will be set. oh yeah and run the speaker wire from the amp to the sub obviously.

thewoahna
03-22-2002, 11:29 PM
You can get a kit at Wal-Mart that has all the wires that you would need. RCA's, Remote, 8G Power (with in line fuse), 8G Ground for like $20

92AccordCoupe
03-24-2002, 04:05 AM
you should definitely get an installation kit (http://www.sounddomain.com/shop/list.pl?type_plural=Amplifier+Wiring+Kits&x=50&y=16&order=priceasc) and read up a bit on the basics of car audio (http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=1040).

4gAccordLX
03-27-2002, 06:33 PM
Yeah definitely get a wiring kit. The Scosche EFX kits at Wal-Mart are just fine and they are a great quality kit. The one I got has an 8 gauge power cable good for systems up to 300 watts. Make sure to run the power cables on the opposite side from the audio so there isnt any interference between them. It looks clean if you run it under the carpet or up under the sill plates. I'd like to know how to get my sill plates up on my 4th Gen Accord LX. I have a 90 and the sills dont have any screws holding them down. Just wondered how they come up so I dont break something. BUt get the 8 gauge kit. It's only $20 and you'll pay at least $30 at an audio store.

93speed
03-27-2002, 07:03 PM
I'd like to know how to get my sill plates up on my 4th Gen Accord LX. I have a 90 and the sills dont have any screws holding them down. Just wondered how they come up so I dont break something.
Step one: Take a screw driver (flat end) and insert underneath sill
Step two: Twist screwdriver until sill pops off.
Simple as that...at least for my 93 accord.

vernonhonda
03-28-2002, 10:43 PM
:eek: SEEK PROFESIONAL HELP!!! if u screw up when installing it, u can screw up ur entire electrical system,,,,make sure there is a fuse.
When mounting the amp,,,mount a piece of wood (Same size as ur amp)
down first,,,,then screw ur amp into the wood so u don't get that nasty interference sound,,,,,happened to my bro.

PuNi§hEr
04-02-2002, 10:55 PM
First, What kind of head unit do you have? Factory or Aftermarket? If you have a factory radio you will need a line level converter to convert the speaker outputs to RCA outputs. If you have an Aftermarket radio just plug the RCA's into the back. The power wire must be connected to the battery with an in-line fuse as close to the battery as you can get it. There should be a rubber gromet in the passenger floor board just below the heater box. Run the power back to the amp through there. You will also need to run a remote turn on lead back to the amp as well. This should have 12volts when the Headunit is on. Run the RCA's down the opposite side from the power and remote wire. Ground the amp to the sub-frame. Be sure to double check where you ground so you dont puncture the gas tank. Make the ground as short as possible. After all connections are made put the fuse in the holder an test it out. If this sounds like another language. Please let someone else do it. You will thank yourself in the long run. Hope that helps....sorry so long.

Add your comment to this topic!