Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

brakes squeak after I changed them

naicidrac
03-01-2005, 10:38 AM
I am having a problem with squeaking brakes after I changed them. I changed my brakes last week and everything went well and then I did my wifes front brakes on here 98 chevy malibu and they went on without any problems. There was a small lip on the rotor, but myself and the guy helping me thought they did not have to be turned or resurfaced. After about 30 minutes to an hour of driving they started to squeak a little, but it feels like a resonant squeak when the brakes are applied very lightly. It is intermitent and doesn't happen all the time. It has gotten worse since Saturday and I thought it would just go away. it happens right before the car stops and it is coming from the fron left it seems. I was just going to see what you guys thought. The squeak does not happen when I apply the brakes hard, but only when I apply them softly. Thanks for any help that you guys can offer.

molehole
03-01-2005, 06:48 PM
Maybe the rotor is a little dirty and has slight grooves in it. You should always just replace the rotors on these Malibus because they tend to warp and are junk. A lot of brakes always squeak. Give it some time they may shut up.

molhannah
03-01-2005, 08:58 PM
All pads will squeak if they are not the exspensive type, but there is a product that you apply to the pads on the metal surface (backside) it is a rubber compound that deadens the transfer of noise, generated by heat. Check your local auto parts guy.

naicidrac
03-02-2005, 08:37 AM
Thanks guys. I thought about buying new rotors for it this weekend. These were the best ones that auto zone had with the lifetime warranty. They had one higher, but that store did not have them. These pads were $22.00. My dad said that some brakes just squeak like that. The brakes came with a metal plate that went on the outside of both pads. I had to peel off a sticker and stick them on. Ya this squeaking is kind of weird. It is very intemittent and doesn't happen all the time. Infact my wife just called me to let me know that they are squeaking very loud, but when she tried to let me hear through the cell phone (sheeeesh, listening to squeaky brakes through a cellphone), the squeaking stoped. I will go check out that stuff from autozone that you were talking about. Thanks guys.

gapboi210
03-02-2005, 10:02 AM
The stuff you put on the back of the pads usually comes in a spray can. Kind of pricey. Ususally about $12.00 for a little can. Molhannah was right squeeking can be caused by the pad vibrating.

naicidrac
03-02-2005, 11:46 AM
Thanks,
is that spray on stuff like a spray on rubber to absorb some vibrations. That is exactly how it sounds, like a harmonic vibration squeal and not like something rubbing next to something else.

dchin
03-02-2005, 12:04 PM
what type of pads did you put on? the front pads need to be replaced with ceramic type. I have a 97 and tried two other combos of pads and the only one that has no squeaks was the ceramic type, they cost a little more than the than the other ones, about $20 more, good luck.

molhannah
03-02-2005, 12:14 PM
permatex or crc brands. It's like a silicone in a tube, not a spray. my stores gets $2.59 & 3.99

gapboi210
03-02-2005, 01:11 PM
I don't know much about either brand. As for permatex, I have used thier oter products and have been satisfied.

naicidrac
03-02-2005, 02:13 PM
Is this the stuff that I get or something similar? I think they call it gasket maker. If so how do I apply it, should I just squirt some on the back to absorb vibrations? I bet that the autozone guy can help me more, but I am still at work and have not had time to run by yet. Thanks,

http://www.permatex.com/selector_chart/GasketMakers/GMChart1N2N3Y.asp?f_call=get_item&item_no=81422

gapboi210
03-03-2005, 04:45 PM
No, Gasket maker is for something that you want to seal like a valve cover or something similar.

Add your comment to this topic!