Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Fastest Curing Paints?

mike@af
02-28-2005, 07:56 PM
I need to do some extensive paint work involving multiple colors and masking. Now in the past I have used Tamiya Acrylics, but they do not cure fast enough. They dry within minutes, but cure in weeks. I leave finger prints in them while polishing. I want some stuff that will cure within a day or two.

Any suggestions? I need silver, white pearl, clear green, and clear blue. I'd go with PPG, but its not worth it on an old 1:43. I dont want to disparage anybodies intelect, but I need fast cure times; dry isnt cured, its still tacky and will leave finger prints. If you knew that, I apologize.

I was thinking about Model Master Lacquer...but not sure if they cure fast enough.

JTRACING
02-28-2005, 08:17 PM
Dupli-color

freakray
02-28-2005, 08:34 PM
Tamiya lacquer in a dehydrator.

RallyRaider
02-28-2005, 08:43 PM
Yeah, you want fast, lacquer it must be.

Feint Motion
02-28-2005, 08:44 PM
plasti-kote, Basicly any Automotive Laq.

ZoomZoomMX-5
03-01-2005, 12:41 AM
Lacquers are what you need. Black Gold/House of Kolors dry wicked fast, Cobra Colors paints dry very rapidly as well. Use a dehydrator and you won't have any problems. Shoot base coat lacquers (they go on w/a relatively flat or satin finish), they dry rapidly, then clearcoat after all the multiple layers/colors are added. Airbrushing is the way to go also, because you apply the paint in thin layers.

ImolaEK
03-01-2005, 05:33 AM
Lacquers are what you need. Black Gold/House of Kolors dry wicked fast, Cobra Colors paints dry very rapidly as well. Use a dehydrator and you won't have any problems. Shoot base coat lacquers (they go on w/a relatively flat or satin finish), they dry rapidly, then clearcoat after all the multiple layers/colors are added. Airbrushing is the way to go also, because you apply the paint in thin layers.

Yup, Airbrush the paint then place it in the dehydrator for a day and the next day it will be perfect! I do it all the time now:)

mike@af
03-01-2005, 06:39 AM
Yea. I need something not in a rattle can. I'll be doing some detailed airbrush work so it has to be in a bottle.

scaleracecars
03-01-2005, 06:51 AM
I need to do some extensive paint work involving multiple colors and masking. Now in the past I have used Tamiya Acrylics, but they do not cure fast enough. They dry within minutes, but cure in weeks. I leave finger prints in them while polishing. I want some stuff that will cure within a day or two.

Any suggestions? I need silver, white pearl, clear green, and clear blue. I'd go with PPG, but its not worth it on an old 1:43. I dont want to disparage anybodies intelect, but I need fast cure times; dry isnt cured, its still tacky and will leave finger prints. If you knew that, I apologize.

I was thinking about Model Master Lacquer...but not sure if they cure fast enough.

PPG DBU/DBC line of paints have a dry time of 20 minutes for masking tape. They accept Tamiya clear, cobra clear, urethanes, acrylic etc...
I use them all the time because I like the speed for multicolor jobs and ease of touchup.
David
http://www.scaleracecars.com

mike@af
03-01-2005, 11:44 AM
PPG DBU/DBC line of paints have a dry time of 20 minutes for masking tape. They accept Tamiya clear, cobra clear, urethanes, acrylic etc...
I use them all the time because I like the speed for multicolor jobs and ease of touchup.
David
http://www.scaleracecars.com

Yea, I've used the PPG DBU paints, but I dont want to spend that kind of money on a cheap 1:43.

Fkouch
03-01-2005, 12:42 PM
How about Mr.Color ? They're lacquer so they dry fast. Not sure about the cure time, but a dehydrator wouldn't hurt ;)

Cheers

Farrokh

Murray Kish
03-01-2005, 01:24 PM
Yep, I'd say lacquers too. Sorry, I've never really had access to lacquer paints in bottles, so I end up using rattle cans. If tha's all you've got too, you can take a shot at rigging up the old 'soda straw trick' to the nozzle to try to get the paint into your airbrush...

Good luck. Sounds like it's gonna be fun!

Murray

bvia
03-02-2005, 06:16 AM
AutoAir...

hth,
Bill

AstroRide44
03-02-2005, 08:18 AM
i used rust-o-leum flat black from home depot, it dried in about 1 minute

SonyMobile
03-02-2005, 07:38 PM
Well, I have had problems leaving my "signature" all over models in the past. My solution?... Latex Gloves :iceslolan you still have to let the paint dry completely, but you don't need to let it sit for a week before you touch it.

Sticky Fingers
03-03-2005, 03:20 AM
Yeah, I use the same technique. My fiancee is a nurse so I get tons of my modelling supplies from her!! The gloves are brilliant! She also managed to get me syringes (for mixing paint accurately), scalpel blades and cotton swabs! Hurrah for the NHS!!!

Add your comment to this topic!