Replace Serpentine belt 2000 Jetta VR6

Jetta_Y2K
02-28-2005, 06:15 PM
I have an 2000 Jetta VR6, I need help instructions for replacing a serpentine belt. Thanks.

sunydawn
02-28-2005, 07:53 PM
I need to replace mine as well. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I also need to replace the spark plugs. I understand these are both VERY difficult but I can't afford to take it in right now.
Thanks

veedubmechanic
03-01-2005, 01:31 AM
You need to remove the belt side engine cover

On the serpentine belt tensioner there is a hole on the top to insert a bolt. Use a 8x 80 metric bolt (can be found at any hardware store)

Spray some wd40 on the threads and thread the bolt in untill the belt tension is loose enough to remove the belt. It helps to have the car off the ground to be able to slip the belt off and new one on.

It is possible to take the belt on/off w.o it being off the ground but its a pain in the butt.

After you get the new belt on make sure you unthread the bolt and walaaa

sunydawn
03-01-2005, 07:37 PM
THank you so much for the reply! That seems easy enough. . . its hard to believe its that simple with a 2000 VR6.

Jetta_Y2K
03-03-2005, 06:39 PM
Thanks for the instruction, I replaced it.

swjetta1.8t
02-21-2006, 12:08 PM
Are the instructions the same for a 2000 1.8t Jetta as the VR6?

veedubmechanic
02-21-2006, 09:37 PM
1.8t :

disconnect intake pipe from throttle body.

use 15mm wrench and put open end side on tensioner, pull toward front of car
and put thick cotter pin into small hole on side of tensioner to hold it in place.

you should be able to easily slide the belt off if the tensioner stays in place with the cotter pin. You can install the belt by holding the wrench foward, but its kind of a pain and after the belt is off and you release the wrench it goes back pretty far and pushes against the fuel lines.

you can remove/install the belt w/o taking off passenger side lower engine cover (its just easier to do on vr6 because the belts a pain to get on the crank pulley)

Add your comment to this topic!