Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1987 Cabriolet AC system

sasmyth
02-28-2005, 05:13 PM
1987 VW Cabriolet
4 cylinder gasoline
5 speed manual

I recently purchased this Cabriolet with a few known problems. One of them was the AC system.

I do not absolutely need to make this function correctly but if it is reasonable, Iwould like to.

The former owner had the compressor sieze on him and since he could not simply remove the belt, bought a used compressor and installed it but never got around to having it recharged, etc.

I would like to get it running again if it is reasonable... I understand that with the new CFC-free systems one can do this themselves but that some seals/o-rings need to be replaced. I also understand that once a system has been opened that the condenser? or drier? or ?? needs to be replaced.

I also don't mind taking this to an AC professional if it is likely to work out for a few $100. But only after I've resolved the other niggling problems listed elsewhere (gas tank leak, power steering rerouted).

It also runs rough when cold, at idle... I'm guessing vacume leak... but haven't checked it out very thoroughly yet.

- Steve

boschmann
03-01-2005, 01:33 PM
To convert to R134a you would need to remove all oil from the system (requires removing the compressor) and flush each component with a special solvent. A 134a friendly oil (preferably ester) would be put back in & the receiver drier would need to be replaced. Here in the southeast it usually costs $300-$400.

sasmyth
03-01-2005, 10:11 PM
This is the last item on my list so if I get to it "fine". Can an AC mechanic tell if the compressor is good before going through all that? Seems like there ought to be a way.

If not, I'll be wanting to relieve the engine compartment of all that extra gear... after all Convertibles shouldn't need AC!

boschmann
03-02-2005, 07:03 PM
Yes, he could tell if it basically works by hooking power to the clutch & see if it puts out a little pressure.

c merrill
11-21-2005, 12:52 PM
[QUOTE=sasmyth]This is the last item on my list so if I get to it "fine". Can an AC mechanic tell if the compressor is good before going through all that? Seems like there ought to be a way.

If not, I'll be wanting to relieve the engine compartment of all that extra gear... after all Convertibles shouldn't need AC![/QU

I have the same compressor problem and was wondering if you found a good way to get rid f the compressor and still turn the alternator?

sasmyth
11-22-2005, 04:01 PM
[QUOTE=sasmyth]This is the last item on my list so if I get to it "fine". Can an AC mechanic tell if the compressor is good before going through all that? Seems like there ought to be a way.

If not, I'll be wanting to relieve the engine compartment of all that extra gear... after all Convertibles shouldn't need AC![/QU

I have the same compressor problem and was wondering if you found a good way to get rid f the compressor and still turn the alternator?

Nope! I brought it back to NM where it might want AC again, though probably not. My mechanic in Berkeley said the compressor was the easiest/best solution and didn't draw any significant power with the clutch fre-running.

The car is my daughter's (now) so will be repaired only by mechanics so it is less of an issue for me now.

Good luck!

- STeve

Supurban
11-23-2005, 02:40 AM

If not, I'll be wanting to relieve the engine compartment of all that extra gear... after all Convertibles shouldn't need AC!

I just went through this last week with my newly acquired 89 Cabriolet. The AC compressor had seized and killed the pulley bearing. Since I didn't want to repair the AC because of the cost, I just replaced the clutch/pulley assembly for only $50. That way I could keep the belt arrangement without removing all the AC stuff. I documented a lot of the details on this here:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2289281

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/4/web/2164000-2164999/2164711_31.jpghttp://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/4/web/2164000-2164999/2164711_38.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/4/web/2164000-2164999/2164711_2.jpg
1989 Volkswagen Cabriolet

c merrill
11-23-2005, 01:30 PM
thanks for the info but i also got a junk yard compressor it was a little costly about 145 dollars but now back in buisness with new belts all around.

veedubmechanic
11-23-2005, 06:06 PM
or just take a belt from a cabrio w/o ac

Add your comment to this topic!