Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1997 Jimmy overview

skidude
02-28-2005, 02:50 PM
I wonder if anyone else has had as much problems as I have with my Jimmy. It all started with having to replace all the o2 sensors then the transmission not shifting properly. After garages telling me everything between power packs to rebuilding I discovered on my own it was the ignition switch. Then came the head gasket leaking antifreeze. A week later the water pump. Two months later the motor died. So I pulled it and had it completely rebuilt. Now it seems to have a bad fuel pump. This truck only has 178,000 km on it. Problem is I have so much money sunk into it I can't afford too get rid of it. This will for sure be the last GM I will buy. Wish I could go back to the days when they had 327s and 350s in all GM cars. That was when they were built to last.

carguy0633
02-28-2005, 06:34 PM
To be perfectly honest and rational about this, I think every car has faults, though it does seem as if you got unlucky, i had many more problems with my 1998 Honda Passport than my 1997 GMC Jimmy. For instance the head gasket was leaking and it burned 3-4 quarts of oil between changes, wheras the jimmy doesnt do either but needs all new oxygen sensors and an EGR valve. the way i see it, you cant win, the car company has you by the nuts. Thats my input on the subject.

BlazerLT
02-28-2005, 09:31 PM
I wonder if anyone else has had as much problems as I have with my Jimmy. It all started with having to replace all the o2 sensors then the transmission not shifting properly. After garages telling me everything between power packs to rebuilding I discovered on my own it was the ignition switch. Then came the head gasket leaking antifreeze. A week later the water pump. Two months later the motor died. So I pulled it and had it completely rebuilt. Now it seems to have a bad fuel pump. This truck only has 178,000 km on it. Problem is I have so much money sunk into it I can't afford too get rid of it. This will for sure be the last GM I will buy. Wish I could go back to the days when they had 327s and 350s in all GM cars. That was when they were built to last.

Only has 178,000kms on it? Since when is that a low number?

Although you probably got the short end of the stick, your case could be chauled up as being a freak case.

skidude
03-01-2005, 05:06 AM
I do think 178,000 km not high mileage. That's a little over 100,000 miles. I know a few people with jimmy's and blazers. Some have good things to say and others have bad. Don't get me wrong, I love driving it and get compliments on how well it looks, but I shouldn't have to put 5,000 dollars into a truck with that mileage. Did you know that there are three different 4.3 motors? In one model they actually welded spacers onto the back to pistons to prevent piston slap. The other came with aluminum heads and the better of the three and the old steal heads. The 4.3 is actually a 350 motor with two cylinders cut off. You would think they could make it as good as the 350. Car makers these days don't want cars to last. If they did how would they make their money. Like everything else these days it's about quantity not quality. If you want to stay in business make it as cheap as you can. Too bad they didn't pass the savings onto the customer

BlazerLT
03-01-2005, 05:15 AM
I have no real problems with my 4.3L.

Having to put 5000 into a truck is not a common occurence nor can you making sweeping general comments saying the 4,3l is a bad motor.

You got a lemon bro, happens to all motors by all manfacturers.

wipeout
03-01-2005, 05:16 AM
a 350 with 2 cylinders cut off????

BlazerLT
03-01-2005, 05:20 AM
a 350 with 2 cylinders cut off????

Yes, it is essentially a 350 block with two cylinders cut off.

(350 / 8) x6 =262.5

4.3L = 262Ci

skidude
03-01-2005, 05:20 AM
Anyone have any comments or help with the rear wiper not working or the roof brake light won't work.

skidude
03-01-2005, 05:23 AM
Thanks BlazerLT. a 4.3 is a 350 less two cylinders. But be aware that they made three different types of 4.3 and stay away from the ones with aluminum heads

wipeout
03-01-2005, 05:24 AM
Yes, it is essentially a 350 block with two cylinders cut off.

(350 / 8) x6 =262.5

4.3L = 262Ci

didn't know that. should be a pretty good motor in general then.

wipeout
03-01-2005, 05:26 AM
what do the 04 & 05 models come with?

skidude
03-01-2005, 05:30 AM
That's a good question wipeout. I'll look into that for you and let you know.

wipeout
03-01-2005, 05:34 AM
the reason i ask is that i currently own a 2000 montana and am thinking of a newer jimmy or blazer. i have had many many many problems with it.

rlith
03-01-2005, 07:41 AM
Thanks BlazerLT. a 4.3 is a 350 less two cylinders. But be aware that they made three different types of 4.3 and stay away from the ones with aluminum heads

The actual block for the most part is the same through all years to current... Nothing wrong with aluminunm heads (wish they made the vortec ones in aluminum)... Aluminum is a strong yet light weight materieal. Example, the LS1/LT1's use aluminum heads and look at their power output...Though I have yet to see aluminum heads on the 4.3 (not to say they don't exist)

Did you buy your truck used? If so then it sounds like the previous owner didn't take care of things very well. The key to the long life of any motor is preventitive maintenance. If you bought the car off the lot, then I would say you just ended up with a bad motor which isn't uncommon from any manufacturer.

Usually 100-125,000 miles is average life of the GM fuel pump, Though I've seen them go at 70k and I've seen them last 156k (mine was at 156,000 when it got replaced)... Again, the secret to longevity is preventitive maintenance...

skidude
03-01-2005, 02:03 PM
The problem with aluminum heads is that when you mix two metals on the motor one tends to expand and contract with the heating and cooling of the motor different than the other motor causing the gasket between the two to give way.

Rockyrider
03-04-2005, 01:53 PM
Well, I'm actually on my 3rd Jimmy (started with a new 97, then a new 2000, then back to a used 97). In all, they've been pretty good vehicles, but even the new ones had some issues over the years I owned them.
My latest 97 I've had for about 2 years, and other than a tranny repair, it's been pretty good. I've found that all of the vehicles I owned needed repair sooner or later (I had a mustang for 12 years and it was starting to really nickle and dime me to death....), if you drive them, they will wear!
It was mentioned earlier, maintenance (preferably preventative) is the key. Unless you can buy new and have things covered under warranty (end even then, not everything is covered), you'll end up replacing and repairing yourself.

BlazerLT
03-04-2005, 02:07 PM
The problem with aluminum heads is that when you mix two metals on the motor one tends to expand and contract with the heating and cooling of the motor different than the other motor causing the gasket between the two to give way.

This is true, but the rate of different expansion rates should not affect the head gasket unless you overheat the engine.

skidude
03-04-2005, 05:14 PM
I wasn't just pulling this information from thin air. A friend of mine who actually rebuilds motors and does a lot of cylinder head rebuilding totally supports this information. 95% of recalls for head gaskets are with aluminum heads.

chcknugget
03-04-2005, 07:42 PM
Usually 100-125,000 miles is average life of the GM fuel pump, Though I've seen them go at 70k and I've seen them last 156k (mine was at 156,000 when it got replaced)... Again, the secret to longevity is preventitive maintenance...

It's funny though, it seems like fuel pumps go right after you replace your fuel filter. Even though this seems superstitous and ridiculous, I'm afraid that if I change my filter the pump will go out. It's either that or that fact that these filters are a pain to get off.

BlazerLT
03-04-2005, 09:14 PM
I wasn't just pulling this information from thin air. A friend of mine who actually rebuilds motors and does a lot of cylinder head rebuilding totally supports this information. 95% of recalls for head gaskets are with aluminum heads.

Do tell us which years had aluminum heads please.

Blue99JimmyEnvoy
03-09-2005, 02:04 PM
I've had my '99 for 3 years now and haven't had that many UNCOMMON problems. Every brand seems to have things that are notorious for going wrong on them. Dodge=tranny, Ford/VW=elecrtical, etc. For us, its just oil cooler lines, wheel bearings, water pumps, and transfer case motors. :biggrin:
Seriously, I'm inclined to believe that the 4.3 is damn near indestructible with the correct maintenance, same with the tranny. Things DO go wrong...without that fact a lot of mechanics would be out of work!

BlazerLT
03-09-2005, 04:01 PM
Very true, I don't think the S-series has any more problems than any other vehicles.

4x4 trucks do require more maintanence and that is just a fact of life.

skidude
03-09-2005, 11:30 PM
Although I do agree with you on 4x4 cost more to own I feel pretty weighed down with all the problems I have had. Some I have no problem with because things are bound to break. Just since last Dec. I've had to put 6,500 dollars in such a short time. Head gasket 1,000. Water pump 500. Motor 3,500. Fuel pump and gas tank 1,200. Ignition switch 50.00. I keep hoping the end is near. I don't hesitate to take it in the shop when things are needed. Oil changes are before 5,000 km. Last July it was a tune up 500.00 (normal) then all the o2 sensers 1,000.00. Then the catyletic converter 400.00. Thank god the truck will be paid for next month...lol. Does everone call all this regular maintance or just a bad apple in the bag?

chcknugget
03-09-2005, 11:39 PM
Although I do agree with you on 4x4 cost more to own I feel pretty weighed down with all the problems I have had. Some I have no problem with because things are bound to break. Just since last Dec. I've had to put 6,500 dollars in such a short time. Head gasket 1,000. Water pump 500. Motor 3,500. Fuel pump and gas tank 1,200. Ignition switch 50.00. I keep hoping the end is near. I don't hesitate to take it in the shop when things are needed. Oil changes are before 5,000 km. Last July it was a tune up 500.00 (normal) then all the o2 sensers 1,000.00. Then the catyletic converter 400.00. Thank god the truck will be paid for next month...lol. Does everone call all this regular maintance or just a bad apple in the bag?

I'm sorry, man. It sounds like you've replaced about everything (excluding balljoints to come...) Some things on your list can be done for less than you quoted. My mom just took her car in to have the alternator changed at the dealer and it was over $500. It's hard to argue with obvious fixes, but some mechanics can get you by saying more needs to be replaced than really does.

These cars are just needy when older and uncared for- so I would suggest you buy a Haynes manual.

skidude
03-09-2005, 11:44 PM
Do tell us which years had aluminum heads please.
Well BlazerLT, I did a little research on my own and couldn't find one shead of evidence to support my friends claim. I paid him a visit and asked him what years had them. You'll probably know the answer, He doesn't recall. I guess you learn about people who bullshit the hard way. Sorry for the poor information and am admitting I was wrong. Sorry folks. I'll research things on my own before taking someones comments.

skidude
03-09-2005, 11:49 PM
I'm sorry, man. It sounds like you've replaced about everything (excluding balljoints to come...) Some things on your list can be done for less than you quoted. My mom just took her car in to have the alternator changed at the dealer and it was over $500. It's hard to argue with obvious fixes, but some mechanics can get you by saying more needs to be replaced than really does.

These cars are just needy when older and uncared for- so I would suggest you buy a Haynes manual.
Well I have done my Alternator and starter when I rebuilt the motor. Figured it was off so why not do it at the same time. A friend of mine rebuilt them for free. Did some computer work for him and made a trade...lol. I do work on my truck in the summer months but when things happen in the winter it's hard to work in it with no garage.

BlazerLT
03-10-2005, 01:24 AM
Well BlazerLT, I did a little research on my own and couldn't find one shead of evidence to support my friends claim. I paid him a visit and asked him what years had them. You'll probably know the answer, He doesn't recall. I guess you learn about people who bullshit the hard way. Sorry for the poor information and am admitting I was wrong. Sorry folks. I'll research things on my own before taking someones comments.

Also, you have to understand you have a bad apple.

And 1000 for o2 sensors? Since when are O2 sensors 250 a piece?

I got a feeling you are being led along by a crooked mechanic.

Blue99JimmyEnvoy
03-10-2005, 10:18 AM
No doubt! O2 sensor should only cost about $50-$60! $250 per is just OUTLANDISH, even figuring in labor!

Find a new shop!

skidude
03-10-2005, 10:25 AM
It's funny you said that because I have changed shops ever since last summer...lol. I felt I was getting screwed too.

rlith
03-10-2005, 10:25 AM
Wow... Did they at least kiss you and bend you over before hand?

BlazerLT
03-10-2005, 03:09 PM
It's funny you said that because I have changed shops ever since last summer...lol. I felt I was getting screwed too.

Did they give you a kiss and take you out for dinner before they screwed you. :lol:

I kid. I kid....

skidude
03-10-2005, 08:05 PM
I got the picture the last time I went there. My transmission wasn't shifting properly. From a stop I had to push down half way on the gas pedal to get it to move. At 100 km/hr it was at 3000 instead of 2200. They wanted to replace all the solinoids in the transmission. 750.00. I started to do some reseach and had another mechanic replace the ignition switch. 35.00 later, problem solved. It was a wire from the ignition switch to the fuse that powered the solinoids. Poor connection at ignition switch.

BlazerLT
03-10-2005, 10:17 PM
Yip, the curse of the 1997 ignition switch strikes again.

Blue99JimmyEnvoy
03-11-2005, 07:35 AM
Had something like that with a mechanic once. Bad throttle response & sticking. He said it needed a tuneup. I checked the throttle body, and like a few other posts I saw here gunk/carbon/crap had built up on the butterfly. 45 minutes and a can of cleaner fixed her right up!

Gotta watch some of them, glad I've found a new one that I can trust.

Add your comment to this topic!