Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

BMW vs Benz

publicenemy137
02-28-2005, 11:22 AM
I'm sure there has been these threads before, but I'm talking about current models. Which company do you like more generally? Do you desire the power of the M or the AMG series?

I personally like BMW more, I like the design of the cars more and the M3 is just hot. I don't like benz's new designs at all, like the SLK or CLK. I do like the new SL65, but as not top of the line models but the bottom to middle, I think BMW's are better.

CanucksRT
02-28-2005, 03:49 PM
BMW, for me, MB's vehicles just look so basic to me (mostly the C-Class), and their front ends are kinda ugly, Bimmers win in the looks department.

I like MB's convertibles much better, and I do like AMG just a little more than the M cars, but I still like BMW better overall.

MexSiR
02-28-2005, 03:49 PM
3 Series is better than C class.

M3 is better than AMG C.

SLK is right up there with Z4.

7 Series is pimper than SL600.

6 series kinda sucks.

Mercedes has cars with more balls defenitely, SL55 Mercedes Mclaren...12 and 11 second 1/4 mile cars...

crayzayjay
02-28-2005, 03:56 PM
BM for sport, MB for cruising.

kman10587
02-28-2005, 05:08 PM
BMW without a doubt, and it will remain that way at least until Mercedes-Benz starts offering manual transmissions on their performance models.

Jimster
02-28-2005, 08:15 PM
:1:

Basically, BMW's are for the sporting driver, Mercedes for the customer looking for something luxurious with a few small hints of sportiness.

DinanM3_S2
02-28-2005, 09:09 PM
BMW... They really are far better driver's cars.

The C-Class is far inferior to the 3-Series. For anyone even slightly interested in the performance of their car, the 3-series is a no brainer. Its one of the most loved cars ever made, and the C Class is one of the biggest let downs ever.

I like the new SLK, but it costs alot more then the Z4, so we'll have to compare them when the new Z4 based M Roadster comes out (and it will).

I like the E60 5-Series more then the E-Class, and I like the E39 ALOT more.

The S-Class is a stereotypical big luxury sedan, and does that well. I don't like the 7-Series's IDrive at all, nor the 7's styling, but there is a new 7-Series coming out as a 2006 model, and it has better styling (IMO) and an "improved IDrive system."

I like the 6-Series more then the CL or CLK class. Some of the best styling on a Chris Bangle car yet.

And now the best part, M v. AMG.
-The M3 is better then the C55 in pretty much all ways except # of doors and power (which is canceled out by its weight). It handles better, looks better, is better.
-The new M5 is a amazing, its a sedan that they compared to the 997 S as a sports car. It blows the E55 and CLS55 away. Best transmission in a road car, awesome engine, awesome handling, I can't wait to drive one.
-The new M6 is the M5 with 2 doors and less weight.
Oh, and AMG makes all automatics...

I don't like the SL65 and CL65 because I hear that they have TOO much torque for a road car. The SL55 however is probably one of the best roadsters ever made. The SLR is too much of a GT, not enough of a supercar.

I almost forgot, BMW also made the engine for the McLaren F1.

BMWs are cars that you want to drive, Benz's are cars that you want to be driven in.

del
02-28-2005, 09:12 PM
here's my opinions. i like some of one over the other and vice versa.

3 series > C class
E class > 5 series
7 series > S class
SLK > Z4
SL > Z8
X5 > ML
6 series > CL (although CL65 and M6 is a toss up)
CLS > bmw has no match up for this one so it seems.
then the slr which just speaks for itself.

overall i think i'm more a mercedes type of guy in the end. some of the best styling and some incredibly powerful engines. which i can't say for bmw (on styling).

gti1689
02-28-2005, 10:04 PM
dinanM3_S2 isn't biased :)

3 series > c-class
e-class > 5-series
s-class > 7-series
slk > z4
6-series > cl (minus the cl65 :))
x5 > current ml
new ml (based on what i saw at the auto show) > current x5

m3 > c55 (close, but m3 is superior)
m3 = clk55
e55 = m5 (withhold judgement till both are tested at same time).
s600/s65 > 760
sl65 > m6
sl55 = m6
slk55 (no direct competitor)
x5 4.8si (or whateer it's called-no direct competitior)

i like bmw and benz. u need to try both in order to understand them. i guys put down the amg's until they blow by u at the stop light...BUT u'll get em in the twisties.

E55 battle w/M5 will be exiting. i hear mercedes might stuff in a bigger engine (they ovbiously don't like handling) in order to compete w/the m5 (could also go NA route).

DinanM3_S2
02-28-2005, 10:20 PM
dinanM3_S2 isn't biased :)

:uhoh:

Fine, I'll say something nice about Benz... They do make a good engine. They are great at forced induction, it will just cost you your 1st child...

CLS > bmw has no match up for this one so it seems.

I believe the CLS "4 door coupe" :rolleyes: is considered to be competition to the 5-Series (even though the E-Class is too). One of the magazines (top gear, EVO, CAR, not sure) compared the E60 M5 to the CLS55.

Edit: I just wanted to add something I just found. http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=372772

Say hi to a 400hp 4.0 M3 :) The C55 has NOTHING on this car.

kman10587
02-28-2005, 11:39 PM
The CLS isn't anywhere near as coupish as the RX-8, which has four doors and came out before the CLS did. So I don't think they should be making that claim :)

gti1689
03-01-2005, 07:32 AM
dinanM3_S2: lol, the new m3 will be a beast. can't wait to see if m treatment will make it look better, but you're right, the c55 is no match.

not sure what the cls is supposed to be, but it looks nice :)

mason_RsX
03-01-2005, 08:05 AM
BMW... They really are far better driver's cars.

Dinan I would like you to just for one post say BMW sucks and Mercedes rules the German car kingdom and go all down the post saying how bmw cars are awful...get everyone just shocked at ur post, then at the end say "psyche"

In terms of BMW vs Mercedes even the recent cars highlight the philosophical differences in the companies. Mercedes are there to look nice, and to be nice on paper and stats. they are for the appearance... BMW's aren't for the stat sheet, their for the performance, handling and driving excellence, BMW gets really into driving

Its a shame though that BMW is inadvertantly being pulled away from this. With the 320i SOME people who dont appreciate bmw's are now buying them for appearance, and to say "look I have a beamer" and I spelt bimmer wrong on purpose to make a statement about the ppl who would say it

drunken monkey
03-01-2005, 08:57 AM
earlier 4 door coupes include the rover p5b coupe of 1963.
perhaps that's why the guys at mazda just call theirs A four door coupe instead of THE FIRST four door coupe; they did their homework....

anyway.
my biggest gripe with the AMG cars is that at the top end of the spectrum, they are next to pointless.
AMG (and brabus as well) have said that there doesn't exist a tyre that can handle the full potential of their engines, hence the limit of 186(?) mph and the heavy handed computer aids.

NerveAgent
03-01-2005, 01:03 PM
BMW drivers car.
Mec..car's driver?

DinanM3_S2
03-01-2005, 08:48 PM
Dinan I would like you to just for one post say BMW sucks and Mercedes rules the German car kingdom and go all down the post saying how bmw cars are awful...get everyone just shocked at ur post, then at the end say "psyche"

lol, I might have to try that sometime in the future, although I think the Dinan avatar and BMW gauges in the sig might give it away :) It would go something like this...

Benz, easily. BMW is the joke of the German car makers. Those idiots in Munich still havn't figured out forced induction. Come on, Audi and Benz have both built great, turbo/sc engines, its time BMW got with the game. The 3-Series is too small and too expensive. Chris Bangle is the worst stylist ever, all of his cars are horrendous. The 5's lights and trunk are all wrong, the 7 is terrible, and the 6 looks like a modified Chrysler. BMW has no answer to the SL, CL, and SLR, and no real answer to the SLK. The C55 AMG is much stronger then the M3, and has 4 doors. The E55 AMG kills the E39 M5 in the 1/4 mile, and might beat the E60 M5 too because of the torque difference. O, and BMW's interiors suck when compared to Benz... BENZ RULZ

Yea, I kinda struggled writing that... I think im done writing bs for now

del
03-01-2005, 09:11 PM
Benz, easily. BMW is the joke of the German car makers. Those idiots in Munich still havn't figured out forced induction. Come on, Audi and Benz have both built great, turbo/sc engines, its time BMW got with the game. The 3-Series is too small and too expensive. Chris Bangle is the worst stylist ever, all of his cars are horrendous. The 5's lights and trunk are all wrong, the 7 is terrible, and the 6 looks like a modified Chrysler. BMW has no answer to the SL, CL, and SLR, and no real answer to the SLK. The C55 AMG is much stronger then the M3, and has 4 doors. The E55 AMG kills the E39 M5 in the 1/4 mile, and might beat the E60 M5 too because of the torque difference. O, and BMW's interiors suck when compared to Benz... BENZ RULZ

he speaks the truth.

haha. j/k. i think MB and bmw aiim for different crowds in all honesty. guess which one aims for younger buyers. :p like i said, i like some bmws over some mercedeseses, some mercedes over some bmw's. it's on a case by case basis for me. and that goes for not just MB and bmw. most makes have cars i like and dislike.

it's nice to have that kind of brand loyalty. why fix something that ain't broke in your mind right?

but in the end, a good test drive of each will tell all and end all. :icon16:

mason_RsX
03-02-2005, 09:15 AM
From the 3 Series BMW I have driven I can tell who goes for what...The suspension was incredibly harsh, but I could whip around a 60km/h bend at 140 with the car firmly in place and very secure...and the manual was heavenly requiring very little effort and making me a smoother driver than I could ever be in any other car

Mercedes can't guarentee any of that, but it can guarentee ppl will stop and look, and that you will feel quite cushy and very safe

and I got Dinan good! look at my sig! but seriously if you want me to change the sig I will no prob, just figured Id get a laugh out of a couple ppl

DinanM3_S2
03-02-2005, 08:51 PM
DAMNIT, I knew that would be misquoted...

lol, jk

ThatRoundHeadedKid
03-03-2005, 11:23 AM
My Opinions:

3-Series or C-Class: 3-series, C-class in my opinion are cheap

5-Series or E-Class: 5-Series until we go to the E55 AMG - Absolutely love that car

6-Series or CL-Class: 6-series, a modern 8-series to me

7-Series or S-Class: 7-series (E38 and E65) all the way except for the W220 and the S55 AMG

X5 or Gelandewagen: Gelandewagen

X3 or ML: X3, hate the ML with a passion

3-Series Coupe or CLK: I still like the 330Ci

SLK or Z4: Z4, I'm not a fan of the new SLK

I'd go for the 6-Series convertible over the SL, but I would get an S55 AMG.

porscheguy9999
03-05-2005, 11:46 PM
Id take an M5 over and E55 AMG anyday. But my friend has an RS6 AND an M5 and he says the RS6 is better. So Id take the RS6 any day over an M5.

del
03-06-2005, 12:25 AM
Id take an M5 over and E55 AMG anyday. But my friend has an RS6 AND an M5 and he says the RS6 is better. So Id take the RS6 any day over an M5.

ditto. just hope it doesn't break. IMO, RS6 > M5 and E55 but audi reliability, especially A6's, has been nothing short of shoddy. every list i've seen reviewing reliability has had the A6 among the worst. but i like em. the new ones are gorgeous. let's start a petition to audi to bring back the RS6 :icon16:

ec437
03-06-2005, 01:27 AM
BMW rules.

In the recent years, they have begun to forget their roots in my opinion, but still, somewhere deep down, they are driver's cars first and hopefully always will be. In light of that, I hope to always be able to drive a more classic BMW, perhaps someday I will get my hands on the original M5. I dream of that day.

thrasher
03-06-2005, 07:36 PM
IMO opinion, it all really comes down to M vs. AMG. I wouldn't buy a BMW or Mercedes unless it was an M or AMG, because you're paying a lot of money for the name, and not getting all the car...I think a lot of people will disagree with that, but if you're spending that much money for a label with not that great of quality, you might as well get the best. That being said...

M3 > C55
M5 > E55
M6 > CLS55, CL55

porscheguy9999
03-13-2005, 04:16 PM
let's start a petition to audi to bring back the RS6 :icon16:

They better bring back the RS6. If they don't, that'll be one more segment lost to BMW and Benz.

CassiesMan
03-21-2005, 11:25 PM
Having driven both a 3 and a C, all I can say is the C felt like a fat chick at a rave:Got way to much bad attention and had waaaaaaay to much body roll.

kman10587
03-22-2005, 12:32 AM
Having driven both a 3 and a C, all I can say is the C felt like a fat chick at a rave:Got way to much bad attention and had waaaaaaay to much body roll.

Great analogy. :)

Add your comment to this topic!