Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

94 trooper brake/dash lights

gator bob
02-28-2005, 10:49 AM
When I press the brake pedal the dash lights come on and the left signal indicator glows and the left side turn sig. comes on stedy. Bulbs and sockets are all good. Trailor harness good. flasher relay good, What could be the problem???

amigo-2k
02-28-2005, 12:15 PM
Did you try replacing the fasher relay?

gator bob
02-28-2005, 01:41 PM
Did you try replacing the fasher relay?
Flasher relay replaced, Not the problem, Thanks for your reply

gator bob
02-28-2005, 02:12 PM
Flasher relay replaced, Not the problem, Thanks for your reply
It's going to start costing me $70.00 /hr on Sat. to have a mechanic find this problem. I'd like to fix it myself by then, but I'm out of ideas.

travelman
02-28-2005, 06:02 PM
Sounds like a bad ground somewhere. The trailer connector is the typical cause and you have checked that. Might want to double check it though especially the wires leading to it. Not uncommon for them to have rubbed a short.

Maybe you could pull the flasher and see if the problem is still there. If not then you have at least limited the range of wiring to check.

Only other cause that comes to mind is a bad alternator. I know that can flash some dash lights. I am not sure which ones nor do I think the brake light is usually the straw that breaks the camel's back nor is it common for turn signals to come on.

Sorry for the ramble just trying to think out loud maybe point you in a direction that will save some $70/hr time.

gator bob
03-01-2005, 10:12 AM
Sounds like a bad ground somewhere. The trailer connector is the typical cause and you have checked that. Might want to double check it though especially the wires leading to it. Not uncommon for them to have rubbed a short.

Maybe you could pull the flasher and see if the problem is still there. If not then you have at least limited the range of wiring to check.

Only other cause that comes to mind is a bad alternator. I know that can flash some dash lights. I am not sure which ones nor do I think the brake light is usually the straw that breaks the camel's back nor is it common for turn signals to come on.

Sorry for the ramble just trying to think out loud maybe point you in a direction that will save some $70/hr time.

Thank's travelman, for what ever reason it dissappeared today! I did fiddle with some harness connectors located under the left rear jack storage area next to the left rear tail light. But I'm not sure if that made the problem vanish. The trailer harness is wired in after the left tail light assembly disconnect. In other words, by completly disconnecting the assembly, I eliminated the trailer harness as the problem. (same proceedure on the right for that turn signal. The only light un checked is the center rear brake.) I'm not going to cancel the appointment yet.

Add your comment to this topic!