Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

What's the Real Scoop on 22+ Rims?

RBeez
02-27-2005, 07:45 AM
What's up fella's? I've had my Denali for about 2 years now...always wanted to upgrade to bigger rims, but have heard all the cons. The biggest con is that it will certainly destroy your tranny over time, computer, and AWD. I've received this insight from the dealer and haven't got any real good insight from any rim and tire dealers, other than..."don't worry about it!"...which scares me more. I definitely want to go with some 23's, but would like some good advice on the pro's and cons...any help would be greatly appreciated.

Eggert
02-27-2005, 09:45 AM
Hi,
this is a 2 step process.
Putting on bigger rims and tires will result in the tires having less revolutions per mile. Therefore, the computer needs to be reprogrammed to adjust to the change.
I have a Hypertech performance programmer that also does tire size changes. There are others, cost about $300. They are handheld devices and plug into the diagnostics connector under the edge of your dashboard. Plug it in, program, unplug it.
That should take care of the transmission and the computers.
Wheels and tires on these trucks are quite heavy.
Going to bigger sizes may increase the weight by many pounds and this is what MAY kill your drivetrain and suspension. It MAY not be designed to handle the extra stress. I have no data on that part.
Another item to consider is that the bigger tires may be too large for the wheel wells and scrape in full turns.
There are other threads by people who have bigger wheels discussing this.
Take care, Eggert :bananasmi

RBeez
02-27-2005, 12:37 PM
Thanks for the good info...any other info would be greatly appreciated.

tonytone
02-28-2005, 01:06 PM
Depending on what the OEM tire size is on his Denali, he may not need a tire size reprogram depending on what sized 22" tire he gets, should he decide to buy some 22" rims. FWIW--305-40-22 has roughly the same tire circumference (maybe off by a few fractions of an inch depending on the tire make/brand) as the 265-70-17 tires that are OEM on late-year (and probably early-year) NBS-gen Denalis. My GPS confirms just as much...

Yes, the heavier weight of going up to 22" or larger does put a bit more strain on various drivetrain-related parts but if you don't abuse your truck too much, you might be able to put off the (possible) inevitable. ;)
FWIW though--the somewhat beefier 4L65-E tranny in NBS Denalis may be better capable of handling the stress that heavier wheels may cause, as compared to the 4L60-E tranny used in NBS Tahoe/Suburban/Yukon.

Wheel offset and front/backspacing affects whether or not your tires/wheels may rub...FWIW--I'm running 305-40-22 on my DXL and I get no rubbing/scraping whatsoever...

jubaby
02-28-2005, 01:33 PM
I got 22's on my 97 yukon. And like the guy said i got them measured and with the 305/45/22 its only a small difference than the 17's from the factory. If the dealers say different than why can you go into just about and gmc/chevy or caddie dealership and find an SUV on the showroom floor with 22's. if they were bad would they void the warranty of a brand new vehicle? My suggestion is get some 22's or 23's and enjoy the show

Denalix5
03-01-2005, 03:50 PM
What's up fella's? I've had my Denali for about 2 years now...always wanted to upgrade to bigger rims, but have heard all the cons. The biggest con is that it will certainly destroy your tranny over time, computer, and AWD. I've received this insight from the dealer and haven't got any real good insight from any rim and tire dealers, other than..."don't worry about it!"...which scares me more. I definitely want to go with some 23's, but would like some good advice on the pro's and cons...any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm running 305-45-22's on my Denali and the look and work great. There is a little tire rub when I turn the steering wheel all the way to the right otherwise no problems. After changing my wheels I upgraded my brakes to help in stopping. Baer illumispeed package.

FYI if your not set on 23 inch wheels look at either 22' or 24's. 22's are a little cheaper and have more choices when you want to choose a tire. 23's are an odd size and don't have much tire and wheel choices.

mmeraz
03-14-2005, 01:36 PM
I have 24" rims on My 2001 Denali Xl. I get no rubbing whatsoever. The tire size I am using is a 305/35/24 tire. It is the same size a stock I believe.

tonytone
03-14-2005, 02:01 PM
...The tire size I am using is a 305/35/24 tire. It is the same size a stock I believe.
Almost, but not quite the same size...assuming that stock is 265-70-17 :biggrin:

Actually, a 305-30-24 will be much closer to stock than a 305-35-24...although from a mileage standpoint, it (30-24) isn't the best tire size to use since it is actually a wee bit smaller in circumference than stock--meaning that it'll make your speedometer and odometer read higher than actual. :2cents:

Add your comment to this topic!