Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1999 silverado security system? please help

internic
02-26-2005, 07:03 PM
when i turn the key to on everything comes on as it should and it dings, but when i try to start it, it gets about a single crank and then it dies and all the lights turn off. if i then turn it to "on" nothing happens. I turn it to off and wait for a bit and some relays click, and i turn it to on again and everything turns on? turn it to start, and bam, it dies like i said. Is this passlock related? im very confused. please help. i already checked my battery connections they are good. Also, after everything on it turned off, and i finally got it to turn on again, the clock on the radio had reset.

spackelman
02-26-2005, 09:35 PM
Sounds like a "stupid" problem.

Start with the basics.

Had a 93 dodge, same thing happened - bad battery

Get a jump start - see what happens.

Then check your battery with a meter.

internic
02-27-2005, 05:23 AM
thanks spackelman. yes, the battery was dead. However, if i hook a fresh battery up to the truck, with absolutely nothing turned on, my 250mA meter goes off-the-scale for current draw on the battery. I still have not found the source of this leakage, im going to put an ohm meter across the battery cables with no battery attached, and pull fuses and relays until the resistance goes back up to some high value, because right now its reading 30 ohms. this is really frustrating. PS the draw is somewhere after the underhood fuse box, i just dont know what cirucuit.

internic
02-27-2005, 01:00 PM
thanks again, yeah the old battery leaked out half its acid and measured at like 3vdc. put in a new 900cca one and it was like a whole new vehicle. no problems yet. and to think i wasted 10 hours taking apart the dash and probing wires and stuff. im an idiot, lol...

nineball481
02-27-2005, 02:12 PM
We all do that. Come across a problem and start thinking big. When all along all you had to do was flip a switch (or equivilent).

Remember: K.I.S.S.-Keep It Simple Stupid :icon16:

Add your comment to this topic!