Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

8v gti swap

92gti8v
02-26-2005, 01:48 PM
I just bought a 92 Gti 1.8 8v with 71k for $700! Everybody around me has Hondas and I wanted to do something different. I was reading on here a little bit about the different swaps that are possible and I am looking to do pretty much the easiest one. I want to get this in mid 12's to mid 13's in the quarter. If anyone can help me out with which motor would be the best and where I could get one I would appreciate it.

ThunderTank
02-28-2005, 07:04 AM
such a big question... your car will go as fast as your pocket book will allow it.

Engines to choose from.
1.8L 16V
2.0L 16V
1.8L 8V
1.8L T
2.0L Cross Flow
2.8L VR6

you can do other engines. but you said easiest (depends on what you call easy)
you can turbo your engine or supercharge it.
You can swap in a 16V either a 1.8 or 2.0. I swapped in a 2.0 16V (I already had a 1.8 16V in it), that swap for me was just plug and go. but you will be switching from an 8V to a 16V, you will have to change wiring (I really hate wiring). 16V's are also considered to have more of a "power band", more valves means more air going in, so it will have more power in the higher rpm's, they loved to be reved high. 8V's will feel like they will have more torque in the lower rpms, but the 16V will out pull.

8V and 16V trannys are also geared differently. I like the 16V's because the gear ratio is close.

If you are wanting to keep in a 4 cylinder choose what you want. Turbo has lag, Supercharging does not. You can get the time you want, but will be spending alot of money. www.bahnbrenner.com, go to that website, and look in media, there is an 11 second sirocco under Ty Figher. 1.8L 16V Limited engine. cool to see. and in each engine you can then put cams, lightened fly wheel, and the list just goes on and on.

and then there is the VR6. More of an indepth swap. you will have to rewire, migrate the wiring possibly. use an A3 subframe (should bolt up) your 4 lugs for the wheels will be going to 5 lug also. you will have to figure out the plumbing for the coolant. and so forth.
If you want FAST displacement wins...

so your friends have hondas, that is fine, stick out amongst the bunch. Hondas are easy to supe up and have alot of parts readly available. VW's do too, might be a little pricier for parts, and some parts might be harder to find. you work that car correctly and you will make their jaws drop.

ThunderTank
02-28-2005, 07:05 AM
Oh yeah, you bought your car for 700? You got a good deal, what shape is the body in?

Add your comment to this topic!