Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Buying older Plymouth Van as project car?

B1105
02-26-2005, 09:10 AM
I've got a question, I recently got very interested in cars, and have always wanted to buy a used Van and maybe modify the interior. I was looking at the older Plymouth Voyagers, and looking into buying a used one(sub 1000 USD).

First question: Is this idea worth it? I will drive this car a fair amount, and I will be leaving for college soon and would prob take it with me.

The modification part was only an idea, nothing something I'd carry out unless i have the extra money/time, and by modificatino, i mean ghetto modification, not like TVs and shit.

2nd Question: I've been searching local (08540, Princeton, NJ) and have found a few frmo 1993 and 1994, and of course they have a lot of mileage(160K), how big of a risk do i stand buying a car with this much mileage?

Thanks, I'm a newb to cars, so kinda forgive my ignornace

Byron

drdisque
02-26-2005, 08:12 PM
the main risk with buying a high mileage FWD Minivan is that the drivetrain takes a ton of abuse on them. They're some of the heaviest FWD vehicles and there's incredible strain on their CV's and Wheel Bearings. The transmissions on those cars are also just as difficult and expensive to replace as FWD cars. If you want an old Minivan, I'd suggest a RWD one such as a Safari, Astro, or Aerostar. They're alot simpler in design and being built on truck chassis, they can handle the abuse alot better than their FWD counterparts.

Add your comment to this topic!