Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

rear brake drum removal

asalcido
02-26-2005, 12:13 AM
does anyone know how to pull off the rear brake drums? are they just pulled off or do you need a special tool?

Flash75
02-26-2005, 05:24 AM
I assume you have a Tocoma. They should come off after removing the wheel. You may need to to tap the outside of the drum with a soft hammer to break drum loose from the the studs. If there is lots of drum wear you may need to remove the rubber plug in the back plate and use a pair of screwdrivers to back off the automatic adjuster.

Clifton

bearcat329
02-26-2005, 12:22 PM
needed to check mine, there's 2 threaded bolt holes in the drum, if you can't get the drum off easily, then thread 2 3-5 inch long metric bolts into the holes and screw them in, this push's the drum away from the hub, take a few turns on each side, back and forth, until the drum's free.
hth
Rick, Ore

asalcido
02-26-2005, 12:35 PM
needed to check mine, there's 2 threaded bolt holes in the drum, if you can't get the drum off easily, then thread 2 3-5 inch long metric bolts into the holes and screw them in, this push's the drum away from the hub, take a few turns on each side, back and forth, until the drum's free.
hth
Rick, Ore

Thanks for your help!

Brian R.
02-27-2005, 12:14 PM
As Flash said, back off the adjuster star wheel before you decide you need to pull off the drum with the bolts. It may be a ridge in the drum you are fighting and not rust.

Add your comment to this topic!