Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Replacing antenna...'93 Accord.

algae
02-25-2005, 11:48 PM
Hi all,
Some jerk broke the antenna off my daughter's '93 Accord. Is there somewhere I can find a "walkthrough" of how to properly replace it?
Thanks
Gary

Ehscrewdude
02-26-2005, 01:50 PM
If it's like my 94 all you have to do is unscrew the cap on the outside of the car, gain access to the motor (behind the carpeting in the trunk), take it off the frame, open the one side, and cut the gear/cord short.

Turn on the radio and It will feed the old antenna loose. Then put in the new mast and have someone push it into the motor while someone else turns off the radio, pulling it back in. The motor will pull it as far as possible, and from my experience you will not get the antenna all the way down the first time, but thats ok.

Re-attach the motor to the frame, screw back on the antenna mast (with the antenna part-way up due to not being pulled all the way down) and turn the radio on. It'll push the mast to the new "top" and click, then it'll pull it all the way down next time you turn it off and you're done.

You can pick up the mast at any honda dealership in their parts store and they should be able to give you a assembly drawing and circle the pieces to remove, they did for me when I replaced mine about a week ago...

mpumas
02-26-2005, 08:35 PM
I think the 93 antenna is the same as the ones for the 90-93 series. If so, just remove the exterior nut and turn the radio on. The antenna should reel up and out of the tube. Install the new mast with the teeth facing to the rear. Push in until you feel the antenna engage with the teeth on the motor assembly. Have someone else turn the radio off and feed the antenna into the tube while the motor pulls it in. When the motor stops, push the antenna down to its final resting spot. Install nut and cycle antenna a couple of times. If it doesn't completely retract, push it down into the tube. A new antenna mast will cost about $50.

algae
02-27-2005, 01:21 AM
Thanks to you both. This is really going to be helpful and take the guesswork out of it.
Thx again.
Gary

Add your comment to this topic!